Mi-8 maiden flight, got it in the bundle. Mmmmm...

The Mi8 is my favourite chopper. Doesn't get used as much as the Huey, as the Huey is much easier to fly. However, I just love the character of the Mi8.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

TIP: Learn to use the fire extinguisher and setting off fires from the engines, it's a useful thing that can avoid the helo to burn.

If fire in engine: turn off that engine with the handles above you're head, after that turn off the fuel cutoff valve, and use extinguisher.

After that go to the closest farp, you got 15-20 mins before you only alive engine turns off aswell from overheating.

My favourite helicopter by far!

Mi-8 is the module I enjoy the most. Versatile as hell, pleasant and regarding to fly... Bad ass!

Also my favorite platform for my surfacing mods, "Because she's wort it" :smilewink:

I will still fly it a lot even after Mi-24P arrives, they will do such a lovely couple :].

Any update to the module, of course, paid or not, would be very welcome.

-Official, External model and Cockpit PBR implementation.

-Civilian model with no IR Jammer and Dust filters.

-Ability to load UV-16, UV-32 and S-24 rockets without Mods.

-Bomb sight for copilot (plus delayed fuse bombs)

-Shorted Harpoints option with 4 pylons only

-Working IR Jammer.

Asking is for free :D.

Also, not so sure that Huey is "more easy to fly" I am still struggling with the Huey, probably I need more hours of training I guess...

* Good tip paco2002. First time you survive with an emergency landing after having one of your engines on fire, feels godlike!

Edited by Grajo

Been enjoying this flying bus quite a bit. Its probably a weird thing but I love the wheels lol. Taxiing and just generally landing on wheels makes me think I'm in a blackhawk for a moment. Yes yes the Ka-50 has wheels too.

It took me a couple tries to get the landing procedures down, as the switch from ETL into GE is quite precarious in this big bird. Seems if I need to do a rapid decel and descent I can do that similarly to the huey, but I just need to be sure to be very gentle in the final descent and descent angle right as I enter GE, and then be very very gentle in coming down the last 10 feet or so to get wheels on ground.

I'm currently using Chuck's curves on the pitch and roll axes for the cyclic, no curves deadzone or anything on the collective and rudder. It's quite easy to control, but seems like I need a lot of left rudder in straight flight. I might need a bit of a negative curve on the rudder for extra rudder authority, not sure.

I don't have the cold start memorized yet, just having fun flying as opposed to getting the administrative stuff down. I can cold start the huey with my eyes closed basically. Hopefully I get there with the mi-8!

Edit: -14ish on rudder axis curve added some needed rudder authority. Also I removed the curves from the pitch and roll axis but kept y axis saturation at 85. Responsive but not jittery. Flew it through the caucuses for an hour or so in one of the early campaign missions. Peaceful.

Edited by Relic

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Hopefully I get there with the mi-8!

You definitely will. The startup may seem convoluted at first, but is actually pretty straightforward and logical once you get the hang of it. I can start her eyes closed in 10 minutes doing a full checklist by heart and testing everything.

Enjoy, because she's a real Big Old Millie!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

+1

The Mi-8 is my first 'non-western' aircraft in any sim and I've completely fallen in love with it.

The thing that I found most pleasantly unexpected is that the systems are very logical and easy to use. It looks like a lunar module cockpit initially and very daunting, but the start-up procedure is so logical that it took me less time to get comfortable with than in the Huey!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 4 weeks later...