What's that 'chirping' sound?

Does anyone know what causes that characteristic 'chirping' sound you can hear externally with the rotors turning? It's very noticeable on all footage I've seen and is pleasingly present in this sim :thumbup:

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

Ah brilliant! Thanks for that AlphaOneSix. I can sleep now :-)

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

It's the swashplate drive link.

EDIT: Added a picture with the offending part circled in yellow.

Dare I ask why it makes that sound? The shaft speed is very low, so I can't imagine it being aerodynamic noise?

Dare I ask why it makes that sound? The shaft speed is very low, so I can't imagine it being aerodynamic noise?

I think you're underestimating how fast it turns. The surface 'hitting'the air is rather flat and I assume its not that aerodynamic. Try waving a ruler, even with the speed you can make with your hands it will already make some windy noise.

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

I think you're underestimating how fast it turns. The surface 'hitting'the air is rather flat and I assume its not that aerodynamic. Try waving a ruler, even with the speed you can make with your hands it will already make some windy noise.

Yes, on reflection I'm pretty sure you're right! :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

sorry for necroing this thread, but this sound was bugging me, I could not sleep not knowing what causes it! :)

Thank you AlphaOneSix, you made my day. This Mi-8 module is getting better every minute. I keep researching and I feel like I need to know all there is to know about this heli.

My setup: Intel i3 4170, NVidia GTX960, 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz, 128GB Kingston SSD, FaceTrackNOIR

Modules: KA-50, Mig-21, SU-27, Mi-8

If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe

• 3 years later...

That is definetly not the swashplate scissor link. There is no way it can produce any aerodynamic sound turning that slow and being on the center of the rotor system, it doesn't beats the air and even less during a hover, when the sound is clearly heard

I'm guessing the sound is produced by the tip of one of the five blades, perhaps because of some kind of tip light, tie down hole or some trim tab.

It's aerodynamic, it moves plenty fast to make a whistle. I've never blown air over it to figure out exactly where the sound is generated, I just know it comes from the drive link. The drive link is greased fairly regularly and I've never heard them squeak from just moving. It is absolutely NOT the tip of one of the five blades. I think I've been working on and flying in these things long enough to have figured out where that whistle comes from. The first time someone hears it, they always think it's a blade tip, too.

Edited by AlphaOneSix