Ryzen or Intel

Burt

Sorry all I'm still stuck in the new briefing room for my questions and thoughts. I'll be getting a system for DCS and just need alittle more info. on what to choose. I've been looking at random peoples rig set up and see that the most are running the intel proceesor. So, has the Ryzen have a place for this seem now these days and in to the future of this sim. I'm not a computer savvy guy but I am learning a few things about it slowly coming into to this DCS.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Basically you want to go with highest CPU clock and the newer the core the better. In benchmarks compare the single and 2 core results.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In short the new Ryzen are on par if not better in ways than their Intel equivalents. You can look at Linus Tech videos for more detailed analysis and benchmarks, but I found it to be a good processor. With that, DCS is pretty GPU intensive, so there probably isn’t much to be gained on splitting hairs over performance if you can save $€£¥’s instead.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

Basically you want to go with highest CPU clock and the newer the core the better. In benchmarks compare the single and 2 core results.

Ok so if I went with an intel i7 9700k (8 core, 12MB cache, overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores would this be adequate. The dsc specs recommend 32gb on the memory for heavy missions.... as a newbie can I get away with 16GB? and up it on my cpu or gpu?

Thx you've been a big help ! I'm getting closer and closer and I'm really tried of running 1.5.8 or this machine and practicing with the SU-25T.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Ok so if I went with an intel i7 9700k (8 core, 12MB cache, overclocked up to 4.6GHz across all cores would this be adequate. The dsc specs recommend 32gb on the memory for heavy missions.... as a newbie can I get away with 16GB? and up it on my cpu or gpu?

Thx you've been a big help ! I'm getting closer and closer and I'm really tried of running 1.5.8 or this machine and practicing with the SU-25T.

My i7-7700 rig never got overloaded on the CPU, and I don't think I've ever used all 32GB on that system (then again...single player). The GTX1080 pegged the moment I started DCS.

If you have to pick a single item to spend your budget my experience, so far, says GPU. Make sure you get a case with lots of holes, too. DCS is a space heater.

Thx for the input and yikes on the heat. Just another thing to check. Honestly, I will not be building my own rig, I tried pcpicker and it just adds to much more research on all the parts and actually what I have pick through dell.... the price is about the same. I’m just not comfortable yet in building one myself at this point. I really want to learn DCS and the system and the mods which it’s not going to be a big list F18-F-14 and the A-10. I’m configuring this rig around DCS and the warthog stick and throttle. Kinda like the Delta faucet commerial... build a house around this ...haha. Thx for the reply

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

The dsc specs recommend 32gb on the memory for heavy missions.... as a newbie can I get away with 16GB? and up it on my cpu or gpu?

That depends. To be comfy in MP you would go for 32. If you don't plan 4K or VR you can get away with cheaper card. But the cpu you will need in every case.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Sorry all I'm still stuck in the new briefing room for my questions and thoughts. I'll be getting a system for DCS and just need alittle more info. on what to choose. I've been looking at random peoples rig set up and see that the most are running the intel proceesor. So, has the Ryzen have a place for this seem now these days and in to the future of this sim. I'm not a computer savvy guy but I am learning a few things about it slowly coming into to this DCS.

You have to factor in, that DCS going to Vulkan API. It could benefit AMD with all the cores.

I know that AMD people was very happy when Truck simulator implemented DX11.

But I am no expert at all, but you should investigate Vulkan and its ipact on processors. Actually, it would be nice, if DCS gave us some info, on what to expect.

I am also about to upgrade.

Good luck

It would be unwise to select hardware depending on an unknown future features that may or may not come and that may or may not help with performance :) In any case both cpu brands use multicore.

Edited by draconus

ugh, my money will always be on the CPU, but specifically on the generation of CPU and for Intel still. The Cores is a bit annoying because you dont need the cores, you need the clocks, however they do lock the larger cache sizes behind more cores, so it tends to be that the best cores are still on the large multiple physical core CPU's. Still, a K version of i5 is good. I got more FPS out of a 2500>6600 CPU than I got from a GTX960>1070, and my 1070 to 2080S jump was almost no reasonable difference in 2D until I put it in VR and did streaming on top of that. I'd go as far to say that for 2D it was a huge waste of money, and for VR it was marginal and still capped by the server's FPS which in MP is usually much much worse than Single player.

GFX cards don't make the impact on frames unless you do VR, in which case, they most fdefintiely will eat your funds. But you can pick up a 2080Super quite cheap in comparison to a latest model, if you can deal with the terrible cooling and noise comign from it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Would have to go Ryzen if I was building again, Intel performance is not as good once you have installed patches to fix the security design flaws in Intel CPU's

Are you refering to the old design issues that were a security flaw or something new? AFAIK the old ones were patched in Windows and the new ones dont have it. Even those I benchmarked before and after and made no discernible difference. Unfortunatley marketing folks were all over this and you could read anything you liked ranging from disaster, end of the world scenarios up to no difference. Is there something new you can link though? I have read nothing that shows Ryzen vs Intel favours Ryzen on a price:performance ratio.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

It would be unwise to select hardware depending on an unknown future features that may or may not come and that may or may not help with performance :) In any case both cpu brands use multicore.

It's not unknown. DCS has officialy said they are working on Vulkan. So I think it will be wise, to calculate with that. Actually, I think it will be unwise not to.

Would have to go Ryzen if I was building againCPU's

Present I have an Intel and it have served me well. I have started my long proces in investigating an upgrade. So far I think it will be AMD.

The upgrade possibilties on the AM4 platform is looking nice for the future.

Tbh I don't think that you can break it down to a simple intel or amd question. There are way to many relevant points. Imho you can run DCS very well on both CPU's.

For DCS alone you still rate single thread performance high. You want to have a graphics card that has enough juice to feed your monitor. Obviously you need higher power the higher the resolution of your screen / the more AA you want (I do prefer more resolution over higher AA..).

Finding the sweet spot performance/cost is the point.

I am still running my sandy bridge 2500k but it is happy doing aircooled 4.5GHz. My 1080 (non ti) gfx is struggeling to deliver contant 60frames for my 1600p monitor.

Then again to not upgrading my rig as of yet saved me the money for hardware like vkb, tpr, and TrackIr. Keep these things in mind.

In the long run you want decent hardware hotas to have more fun.

AAR mission with that super exact stick is much more doable then when I used my not bad at all x52 Hotas...

Thx all for your input. And yes I've heard about the noisy fan noise which it may not bother me so much at this time. My card selection will probably be at this time be the 2070 super. the Ryzen processors are alittle more expensive then the intels, i think but I maybe wrong. Either or I'm not going to be doing no benchmarking, overclocking ect. I just want to have a good rig that will handle almost anything at the highest settings and be comfortable getting on multiplayer without any issues/ lag or anything that gets me booted out of a server. I'm an old... old fashion guy that wants to experience the new gaming/ sims these days. I don't want to have to start tweaking this tweaking that.... I just want to fly ,have fun.I want to be able to turn the machine on... go to DCS multiplayer... after some serious training , and enjoy my investment.

Thx for all the info. and I hope to return or help someone too in the future.

FNG out .

Start Date April 2020 

After 10 years on intel I went with ryzen (3900x) and i am happy with it. Wise choice.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

16 should be fine if you are not using multiplayer

I'll definately be going into multiplayer for sure after I get some training and hours in!!!. I have 32 GB locked on the list with out a doubt. 32 GB Dual HyperX Fury DDR4 xmp@2933MHz. absolutely Multiplayer... i cant wait !:thumbup:

Hekktor... I'm configuring this machine around the Thrustmaster warthog Hotas :thumbup:

Start Date April 2020