My thoughts after ~40 hours logged in the Huey - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #21
d0ppler

Wow! That's awesome!

Can Steam users install the beta version, or do we need to wait patiently for it be official?
d0ppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #22
dawgie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
Rudder is always required when flying at pretty much any speed in a chopper. The main rotor torque you have to counter using the tail rotor is actually increasing as you are going faster (because you need more collective at faster speeds hence more torque), and as such you will have to push even harder on the rudder. The vertical surfaces on the tail are just here to somewhat reduce the effort on the rudder, but they will almost never cancel it. That is why chopper rudders are not centered, and if you want to be serious in flying choppers in dcs, you actually should remove the centering mechanism on your rudder.
Choppers are different than fixed wings. They are an order of magnitude more complex to fly. This is true irl, this is true in dcs. Everything you know for fix wing is not relevant for choppers.
True that, flying a Huey is a delicate dance between the collective, the cyclic, and the torque pedals.

By the way, the Huey doesn't have an autopilot, the "autopilot" in DCS for the Huey is just to relieve to pilot when flying the distance. But by no means real, so you can't compare what that is doing to what you should be doing.
dawgie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #23
dawgie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ppler View Post
Wow! That's awesome!

Can Steam users install the beta version, or do we need to wait patiently for it be official?
I believe they can. Right click on DCS in Steam, hit Properties. Select tab Beta, there you can change it.

I'm using standalone so it can differ a bit from my description.
dawgie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #24
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ppler View Post
Yes, Open Beta is an option under "DCS World Steam Edition>Properties>Betas"

However 2.5.6.43453 doesn't launch in Steam, so Steam Beta was rolled back to 2.5.5.41962 until it's fixed (there's no point in giving users a 16.3 GB DL for a program that doesn't launch).
Ramsay is online now   Reply With Quote