1.16 Rule discussion - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #21
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Also to be clear, are you allowed to mention a specific manual now? That is without linking to or providing any content of it here.

Most (if any) of the manuals I have don't have any of that, but I'm damn confident they're declassified
If you can post a link where you got them, where a government agency was freely sharing them, then you are good... but your confidence will not prove anything.

If you downloaded them from joe blows file sharing server, then you should probably not post them.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:09 AM   #22
zhukov032186

Quote:
Also to be clear, are you allowed to mention a specific manual now? That is without linking to or providing any content of it here.

Most (if any) of the manuals I have don't have any of that, but I'm damn confident they're declassified
Yeah, same here, but I have seen it in some of them, can't remember which it was, though. I looked for it in the Harrier manual and couldn't find it, but was hardly an exhaustive search.

The biggest issue isn't ''classification'' persay, though. 99% of this stuff is ''declassified''. The ISSUE is when you transfer it to a non-citizen or post it on the web (effectively crossing state borders) then it's an export violation, as it is military docs and you aren't authorised to distribute. That's what got the ED guy in trouble. Nobody cared about the docs so much, it was the international aspect that was illegal.

People always talk about classification. That's NOT that big a deal, as you can negotiate for access potentially. It's the exporting of that information that's the issue as NONE of us are authorised to do so.

I also don't see why people feel it's necessary to post anyway, to score internet points with forum users who have no influence on the game? You need to show something sensitive to correct an inaccuracy, you send it to one of the devs/mods and they'll decide what to do. The ''community opinion'' is irrelevant. THEY aren't writing the code, so THEY don't need to see it in the first place. File reports with the devs if docs are involved, problem solved. If randos are arguing their usual bs on the forum about this or that's op/broken/wtf ever, who cares?

Last edited by zhukov032186; 02-11-2020 at 01:15 AM.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #23
Raisuli

Quote:

Unfortunately being declassified is not always enough. I can buy a cheap rifle scope at the local big box and give it to anyone I want in the US, but if it crosses an international boundary I've just violated ITAR (International Trade in Arms Regulations) and can go to jail for some indeterminate amount of time. Heck, I think there are binoculars still under ITAR; like any other government list it gets updated at the speed of glaciers.

SWMBO deals with this all the time, and there are things you would never image as regulated that can cause ED all kinds of headaches. Since they really don't want to hire a trade compliance expert to adjudicate every post they write a rule that should, one hopes, keep them out of trouble. Mostly. Assuming everyone plays nice and recognizes this is an international forum and everything we do is exported.

I know, silly assumption.
Raisuli is online now   Reply With Quote