What files to backup? Doing fresh install

Novac-185th

By default , it is C:\users\(user name)\saved games\dcs(ver)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

^^ That. You could go in and select specific directories, but it's far easier to just store the entire Saved Games\DCS directory and then selectively copy things back once you've reinstalled.

The directory names are pretty self-explanatory, so the ones you'd want to copy back immediately are fairly obvious, but at the same time, there are some you probably want to build from scratch.

So, for instance, restoring directories like Kneeboard or Liveries or Missions is trivial. Stuff in the Mod folder might occasionally need a proper installer to work, so you have to check those individually. If you've added any directories of your own (for instance, I have a Mission Scripts folder where I keep various scripting junk for use in the mission editor), then that's your own creation that DCS doesn't care about, so those are obviously safe too.

The only slightly tricky one is the Config directory. This one you probably want to leave out at first when you restore so the new install can set up its own ini files, and then you adjust new graphics and special settings from the menu as required. Once that's done, you'll definitely want to restore Config\Input, and possibly Config\View (especially if you have set up snap views and custom labels), but the rest is usually better to get a fresh start on.

e: Oh, and of course, if you have any mods that affect the base install directory (using OvGME or some similar mod manager), then obviously you need to make sure you have backups of those mods so you can put them back in place once you're done. But here too, save and restore the mods themselves, rather than try to fiddle with the directories in the DCS install.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

... but the rest is usually better to get a fresh start on.

I would suggest to also restore the MissionEditor folder, as it contains your Logbook, Campaign progress and Custom Unit Payloads that you may have generated for your own missions.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi. I’m going to do a fresh install of DCS. What files do I need to backup (and there locations) to keep my key binds and other settings.

Thanks.

You don’t need to backup the Saved Games DCS folder as it will remain untouched by a reinstall of DCS.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box