Did anyone ever sort out the thick/blurry text issue on HUD & Displays?

Aluminum Donkey

Seriously, how can this be in Wish List instead of Bugs?

Tried messing around those values to improve readability in VR without having to lean myself fwd for half a metre everytime, but I don't get any good results. Wasn't that big of a problem for me though on the screen at 1920x1200.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 5 months later...

Bumping up

Was doing some testings today.

Ended up with

stroke_thickness = 0.5

stroke_fuzziness = 0.3

Using HP Reverb VR headset with SS at 200%

This setting is still a bit thick but can adjust with the brightness know to desired level.

Awesome....

BR

Edited by VIXEN413

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

• 1 month later...

Which is interesting, because I built a new game machine and downloaded the open beta from scratch, but didn't have to do anything to make my exported displays look fine.

Either ED did something about them in the beta or something strange is happening, because on the old machine I had to change a few files after every update.

That doesn't mean they look good in VR (I don't use it, real reality is hard enough for me to handle), but the other issue is...fixed?

Thoughts... I think it’s difficult for ED to make the mfd/hud look good for everyone. 1080P, 4K, reverb, rift s, etc. They would have to build a different lua for each device and then users would have to choose which settings to use. For me, rift s, these setting on the mfd lua look great on the mfd/hud. From top to bottom:

If you own a rift s, try this config. Other display users, if you have a good setting, post with what display you’re using so others with the same display can utilize. Maybe different options can be offered by DCS in the future.

F/A-18C Hornet, i9 9900K OC 5.0G, 1TB Intel 660 M.2 SSD, Z390 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, GeForce RTX 2080TI, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T-Rudder, Oculus Rift S, Open Wheeler GEN2 Sim Chair w/ Warthog Upgrade.

I dont use any VR, I have single monitor 24" 1920x1200 resolution (MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB). Using last Nvidia drivers with clean instalation.

Every export via lua scripts results in unreadable letters.

Can DCS graphics settings have an impact to this issue?

Apologies for the ginormity of this screenshot. It's the main screen and all three exported (via lua) displays. If I'm getting this, and others are not, then in theory we can hunt down the difference based on some setting somewhere.

The obvious first place to look is:

\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\MDG_strokesDefs.lua

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

-- Currently is used for DMC generated fonts black outline

DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 3

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 1.1

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.65

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.42

<edit>

I need to point out this is DCS default and NOT what I used to change it to get good exports. When the new build everything magically worked without any file edits

</edit>

Screen_200303_154708.png

Edited by Raisuli

• 3 weeks later...

Where exactly could I make the HUD fonts, a bit smaller ?

Not tinnier. Only smaller.

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Does anyone know, guys ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• 3 weeks later...
Where exactly could I make the HUD fonts, a bit smaller ?

Not tinnier. Only smaller.

Thank you

Nobody knows, guys ?

It must be somewhere, I can't find it

Yes, I made the HUD fonts tinier but not smaller

I modified already the DDI colors....

Can't find the HUD fonts size...

I think, it should be here, but not sure ( attached .LUA fonts )

fonts.lua

Edited by Lenux

Yes, I made the HUD fonts tinier but not smaller

I modified already the DDI colors....

Can't find the HUD fonts size...

I think, it should be here, but not sure ( attached .LUA fonts )

It doesn't look like the HUD has its own display properties. For the F/A-18 I see (~\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\IndicationResources):

HMD

IFIE

MDG

RWR

UFC

Given MDG also has an SVG for HUD symbology I'm thinking that's the right directory. You can probably edit the stroke_font.svg file to change the font, but you're doing it for more than the HUD.

The short answer is I think there is more to changing font size than editing a number in a lua file, and you're going to change the size on the MFDs at the same time.

If you want to test this edit that SVG and do something radical to a letter (4 comes to mind) then see how wacky the 4 in 48 looks sitting on the ground.

<edit>

stoke_fold.svg? What the heck was on my finger's mind when I typed that???

</edit>

Edited by Raisuli

You mean STROKE_FONT.svg ??

I can't find any " stroke_fold.svg "

You mean STROKE_FONT.svg ??

I can't find any " stroke_fold.svg "

Yup...sorry. Edited the original; my fingers were wondering if Lufthansa was planning to fly me to Munich (and on to Lisbon) in a few weeks. Still want to go on that vacation, darn it!

In a few weeks, hopefully

:)

Thank you for your help

• 3 years later...

I understand this issue may have been raised previously, but I would like to bring attention to the persistent problem with the thickness and fuzziness of the Heads-Up Display (HUD) on the F/A-18 when users are utilizing resolutions higher than 1080p. It's concerning that despite the passage of several years, this issue remains unresolved. I urge you to prioritize addressing this issue, as it significantly impacts the user experience for many of your customers. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Screen_240129_224605.png

Edited by ContraStorm

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Please give us more information. 

Let us know:

1- Displays and resolution?

2- Are you using a multi monitor setup? If so, what setup?

3- Are you using any user mods or reshade?

4- What is the HUD brightness knob setting?

Please also include your dcs log 

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 1/30/2024 at 2:59 AM, ContraStorm said:

I understand this issue may have been raised previously, but I would like to bring attention to the persistent problem with the thickness and fuzziness of the Heads-Up Display (HUD) on the F/A-18 when users are utilizing resolutions higher than 1080p. It's concerning that despite the passage of several years, this issue remains unresolved. I urge you to prioritize addressing this issue, as it significantly impacts the user experience for many of your customers. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Screen_240129_224605.png

If you haven't tried already, you might try to play with adjusting Zoom and POV positions back and forth, using NP / and * keys for zoom (I guess), and RShft+RCtrl+ NP / and * for POV position. I would try to pull back "my seat" first, which will make the HUD picture (being constant size at infinity) fill up the visually decreased HUD frame size more, then zoom in to your liking.

Edited by Razor18

On 2/8/2024 at 1:19 PM, Razor18 said:

If you haven't tried already, you might try to play with adjusting Zoom and POV positions back and forth, using NP / and * keys for zoom (I guess), and RShft+RCtrl+ NP / and * for POV position. I would try to pull back "my seat" first, which will make the HUD picture (being constant size at infinity) fill up the visually decreased HUD frame size more, then zoom in to your liking.

For me, the cockpit doesn't get sharper till I zoom in.  That's one of the things that makes it so weird and frustrating.  The more you zoom in, the sharper it gets.  Like the opposite of how you view a Monet painting.  Or most pixel based images.  There's some kind of resolution or sharpen mask that is missing at the normal cockpit zoom causing all HUD, HMD, MFD, and warning light elements to be a little blurry.   This is at 1440p.  Single 27" monitor.  No reshade.  Sharpening built in to the monitor as it has some good post processing itself, but that pretty much all I'm using.  Still getting a little ghosting too with DLAA and G sync amd 144hz capable and mabe some adaptive response time.  And some low vsync or whatever that is.  Adjust HUD, HMD, and warning light brightness helps a little, but it's not sharp enough and there's no additional sharpen mask that helps.  I have posted several pictures in these forums.

This is true in both the Hornet and Viper cockpits and has been since the debut of 2.9.  It's not great.

Edited by SickSidewinder9