Ripple 2xGBU-12 w/ split PRFs

Speedywrx

Hello,

Is there a way to ripple 2xGBU-12s on different PRFs?

Currently I've been releasing the first via CCRP and then selecting the other and immediately release CCIP and it works very well to hit two DPIs near simultaneously (a few second split), but was wondering if I'm missing something in the DSMS to release both at the same time...

Thanks.

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

I don't think DSMS lets you select both Paveway simultaneously since they differ by config. That would be a requirement for both to come off by a single WR event.

I think the best you can do is have consecutive weapon profiles and quickly manually pickle the second after the first with a profile shift after the auto release.

Need more info.

It sounds like you want to release two weapons, each with a unique laser code.

Yes.

Do you want to guide them both yourself?

No, I want a multiplayer wingman or usually in the game, the JTAC to buddy lase the second weapon.

Do you plan on letting your wingman guide the second weapon? If so, that's a valid albeit rare tactic.

Yes. I'm not an A-10 dude, but where I'm from it's very common to ripple 2 to hit 2 DPIs simultaneously. Although nowadays GBU-38s, GBU-49s, or even GBU-54s make things a bit easier in that regard.

In the real world, each weapon's laser code is physically set on the weapon itself prior to takeoff and can't be changed in flight.

Indeed that's the GBU-12 limitation that it's hard coded on the ground. My intent was to ask if there was a way to change that code prior to takeoff (or a sim-ism that you can just do in flight). Our 38s use the FMU-152 JPF with a DSU-33, but I'm unsure if a FMU-152 on a GBU-12 would be able to change the code in flight or not since our GBU-12s don't use that fuze...gotta go find the patch on Tuesday to ask!

However, the pilot can set the DSMS inventory to whatever code he wants, allowing weapons with physically different codes to be released together (PRS or RIP SGL). But the pilot has to know which weapons have which which actual code, and select stations or profiles as necessary. This is easy to mess up and requires good contracts to execute properly. In DCS, whatever code you set in the DSMS is what the weapon will track. This is backwards, and also prevents releasing two weapons with unique weapons from being released with the same profile...you'll have to manually select the stations, pickle, DMS right to step to the weapon/code, and pickle again.

Yea, that's what I was afraid of and looks like you confirmed it.

It would be far easier for the shooter to release two well spaced weapons on the same code, while the wingman guides them both. There's has to be enough time for the wingman to shift the spot and as you've already found, the targets need to be pretty close to each other for multiple reasons.

True, that would take a bit to weaponeer, releasing far enough apart while still ensuring you were still in the basket for both weapons. At that point it would be more pertinent to do a combined or sectored sequential attack and release 1 per aircraft. Heck... a combined simultaneous attack why not..

All of that being said: for Pk reasons its far more common to double-tap a single hard target using a buddy lase. Self-lasing should be the exception because it requires the shooter to be cranium-down when he should be maneuvering and egressing. For the same reason (and more), hitting two targets on the same pass using multiple switch changes with weapons in the air is inadvisable at best.

I'm not an A-10 driver, but on my MDS we specifically code GBU-12s (although rarer these days since we opt more for 38s/49s/54s...) to have different codes on them for the exact reason of a ripple 2 on 2 targets simultaneously. I'm sure we could talk about PK all day (F-Kill, M-kill, K-kill...)

Thanks for the info. Happy flying. :beer:

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

Yes.

No, I want a multiplayer wingman or usually in the game, the JTAC to buddy lase the second weapon.

Yes. I'm not an A-10 dude, but where I'm from it's very common to ripple 2 to hit 2 DPIs simultaneously. Although nowadays GBU-38s, GBU-49s, or even GBU-54s make things a bit easier in that regard.

Indeed that's the GBU-12 limitation that it's hard coded on the ground. My intent was to ask if there was a way to change that code prior to takeoff (or a sim-ism that you can just do in flight). Our 38s use the FMU-152 JPF with a DSU-33, but I'm unsure if a FMU-152 on a GBU-12 would be able to change the code in flight or not since our GBU-12s don't use that fuze...gotta go find the patch on Tuesday to ask!

In the A10C, you can change the laser code of your laser guided stores by selecting the inventory osb button from the main DSMS page. You then select GBU-12 (for example), then within the third sub menu, you are able to input a unique laser code. Then the LST code (which is used for JTAC can be changed via the TGP, by selecting the control function via OSB 1. You will then see your LSS / LST code options via OSB 15/16(?) and can adjust them there.

Hope that helps, and that it was on topic.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

In the A10C, you can change the laser code of your laser guided stores by selecting the inventory osb button from the main DSMS page. You then select GBU-12 (for example), then within the third sub menu, you are able to input a unique laser code. Then the LST code (which is used for JTAC can be changed via the TGP, by selecting the control function via OSB 1. You will then see your LSS / LST code options via OSB 15/16(?) and can adjust them there.

Hope that helps, and that it was on topic.

Cheers,

Ziptie

I appreciate the advice, Ziptie, but you are talking about switching laser codes for a single GBU which is a sim-ism here as you wouldn't be able to do that IRL without more modern fuzes (FMU-152) which I believe aren't modeled in the game. As Bagodonuts said - in DCS you can change the GBU code in-flight via the DSMS stores page, but this still doesn't let you select 2 GBUs on different PRFs.

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent, but the LSS/LST code options don't have anything to do with bomb guidance and used when being talked-on to a target - it's the code the pod searches for from another asset. Unless you meant the "L" option on the config menu of the MFD. There's "L" and "LSS" displayed where "L" changes your laser code for weapon guidance and "LSS" is for tracking another asset's laser only. LSS and LST are terms both used for the same thing - Laser Spot Search or Laser Spot Tracker. I've seen it referred to as an LSST as well (Laser search and spot tracker). In game, the JTAC uses 1688 by default, so it makes sense to just leave the LSS on 1688 unless you're flying with a buddy where you can have him stare on a different code.

I think Frederf's advice on profiles would work.

Edited by Speedywrx

Quickly changing profiles won’t help. The release que has already passed. What you can do is select the other GBU, change to CCIP mode and release it immediately, they will both track and hut their target.

It’s just not very pretty.

Quickly changing profiles won’t help. The release que has already passed. What you can do is select the other GBU, change to CCIP mode and release it immediately, they will both track and hut their target.

It’s just not very pretty.

Yea, that's what I have been doing. Like you said - it ain't pretty, but it works. :pilotfly:

What you can do is have two profiles, the first CCRP the second CCIP (or MAN?). The profile cycle will look like this

Profile A - CCRP, Config 1

Profile A - CCRP, Config 2

Profile B - CCIP, Config 1

Profile B - CCIP, Config 2

(repeat)

So drop bomb from config 1 you are in the second line. After release your profile change will also change master mode allowing an immediate manual release.

What you can do is have two profiles, the first CCRP the second CCIP (or MAN?). The profile cycle will look like this

Profile A - CCRP, Config 1

Profile A - CCRP, Config 2

Profile B - CCIP, Config 1

Profile B - CCIP, Config 2

(repeat)

So drop bomb from config 1 you are in the second line. After release your profile change will also change master mode allowing an immediate manual release.

Awesome - I'll give it a shot.