General Input Panel Standard Initiative

Schredder

Hi All

Sorry for the blown up headline of this thread.

It's been a while that I'm considering to develop a general custom made board for inputs.

One that will be for general purpose , rather than module specific.

My guess is that there are a lot of simmers who are not familiar with the electronics side.

This is a HUGE barricade to overcome when one decides if /how to build a cockpit.

I want this crowd to have a better starting point to start with.

Using off the shelf components and controllers sets along with a kit of parts they can all get into the loop.

I'm half way to deliver a general purpose input panel. It could have variations later on.

I think I will also make a general purpose break out board with good informative yet practical "Cockpit for Dummies" documentation.

For budget reasons I only going to make 10 boards for the first run.

THIS INITIATIVE IS IN NO WAY TO MAKE ANY PROFIT ( I have my own job for it).

After several major designs are established - We can turn them into some sort of a STANDARD.

Meaning - we could support each other.

I'm only the initiator of this idea and I will gladly share production files to anyone once we establish final designs.

I have a humble vision to make a path for a community effort.

Where those who can will harness their skills and knowledge to make things for others who need it.

There are , indeed A LOT of great community oriented projects. these are great !

Yet , a lot of it is very overwhelming to the novice users who are clueless about electronics...

The main intention is to deliver one or two variations of general purpose input panels and one general purpose breakout board with several end boards / terminals.

Each will come as a kit. the panels will also have their enclosures.

Now for those who want to assemble their own - will purchase as a assembly kit.

For those who wants a PLUG AND PLAY solution could buy is from users who will make it for them for some fee.

Either way. custom design. community oriented. for the community.in reasonable price and quality.

I would love to have some more guys (and gals) to help with this initiative in terms of thoughts ideas.

It starts like this (attached).

Will keep updating.

Cheers !

GenericFrontPanel.JPG.196754cc40d44e2dcc9b840812770a75.JPG

Nir Bar

"Schredder"

"In the warrior code there's no surrender,

though his body says stop,his spirit cries...

NEVER !!!"

Mmmm...

Kinda disappointed due to lack of interest...:(

I might be mistaken and everyone can build the electronic controller part...:tomato:

Anyway some progress..

Final locations and routing. maybe some few more adjustments...

Later will work on the casing.

Should I start with a controller with connectors ...

Help me out here...

Front.thumb.JPG.5d4e34e786bc8350bf8da9c8beb7fae3.JPG

back.thumb.JPG.0f476756d716cb296169c3ec046b0123.JPG

Nir Bar

"Schredder"

NEVER !!!"

Hey Schredder! This is a cool idea! PCB's are the hardest to make and trying to figure out what controller you will use. I have been using Fritizing cause I am new to PCB making and also used this service called https://oshpark.com/ You get 3 boards you upload via there webpage. There alitttle on the expensive side compared to the PCB makers that give you 10 boards for cheap. But there here in the USA on the west coast like me so the build and ship time are not that bad. Anyways I have a little experience with this controller Program Called MMJOY built programmed by "mega_mozg_13" just in case you have not heard of it.

Github info

https://github.com/MMjoy/mmjoy_en/wiki

DCS forum link

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2558215

I have VR right now but I have been building small panels with MMjoy and and Rehabbed a X55 Throttle I got dead from Ebay. And have gotten alot of help from the guys in mmjoy and Input/Output forum threads. But Even with VR I still have a bug to build a cockpit. I have Idea to build a Harrier cockpit So when I get some of Stang's plans for the cockpit I will start that. And plan to run mmjoy for all the buttons. Anyways I am subcribing and will follow this thread and hopefully help contribute. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have question. How would this be different than Bodnar/DerekSpeare's boards? Given that you want to make it as a generic board?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have question. How would this be different than Bodnar/DerekSpeare's boards? Given that you want to make it as a generic board?

Well really no different other then for the knowledge and experience to make and tailor your own boards. I guess I feel its more efficient use of equipment. The other boards are good I have not heard any complaints about them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi

The answer should be coming from all of us.

I'm trying to establish some sort of bank. with build blocks.

A unified main board (breakout board) which hooks to an arduino.

Community developed end boards will be constantly designed and populated.

To enable that - the main board has to be standard(and it's up to us to make it right on the first time).

Each DCS module has its own requirements.its common for one to make a generic pit to fit all the modules he has(we can still make our own high fidelity pit using it).

I think it would be nice to have a "modular" design, so we could get the blocks together and hook it up the way we want it to suit our needs. make our own profile and to be left with building the hardware - each as his wish.

With the cheap arduino boards and the versatile options we can get, designing something which is tailored to our needs it could really make an impact.

Cheers :smilewink:

Nir Bar

"Schredder"

NEVER !!!"

I got you. I think the catch here is that capable pit builders can build it all from scratch. Or they are very comfortable using mmjoy/arduino (DCS Bios comes to mind) or Bodnar boards.

Then there are those who don't know how to start and it would be helpful for them. Especially if it came with instructions. But if they are new, they may not be so willing to learn how the LUA logic works. Or they may find it daunting. So it would have to be SPDT switches that eat up wiring.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea, but the veterans may find it "not customizable enough" and the rookies may find it "too difficult" You're kind of in no-man's land.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Keep it up Schredder, like hsb said, it's a good idea, and from a small seed big trees grow!

People don't visit these forums all the time, I think some of what you posted will be interesting to me, like a matrix break out that can turn a nano into a 64+ input device.

But, you may need to speak in simple language, as hsb said, those that can understand can do it themselves!

Keep posting mate, you will generate people's interest, maybe in the input section above this sub forum, I don't know how many input users visit the pit builders section!

Thank you all,

I understand what you mean.

I'm doing it of good will so everyone could start a pit or at least a panel for his rig.

Will try to keep it simple - that's the main idea. yet it has to be flexible enough so it could evolve with time.

Mr_Burns

I would gladly hear what you need and want from your perspective.

The Main intention is to make like a "LEGO". have the build blocks. then connect them together.

I call to anyone who want to take part in ideas /capabilities what is required and what is the best way to achieve them.

There are a lot of modules out there for Arduino's and other controller boards. Yet, these are very general. We need to design OUR OWN arduino sheild and standardize it.

The next connected boards will allow the input of AXES,BUTTON,ROTARIES,TOGGLES,ENCODERS...

Lot of us share our knowledge. But if someone has difficulties with software/hardware side - he will probably won't get into it...

I'm not familiar too much with software dev. side, but I'm sure there are qualified persons here that can make a configurator. actually , there is. MMJOY is great !

It would be easy to take a set of standard boards. connect them together as described. load the config profile and there you go...

No Coding. no soldering... just the pure fun of using a drill,saw and screwdriver... :)

It will be easy ! like these two pins are a button. these also... so on...

Good engineering , with good documentation and strong community will make it work.

Guys ! step in. make a difference to those who really want but cant or simply afraid to start...

Post me.

We have a lot to discuss about Mr_Burns.

PM me with you're detail so we could talk online...

Cheers to all !!!

Nir Bar

"Schredder"

NEVER !!!"