New to this Forum with Questions

4eyes

I am new to this Forum, and I am looking very close at purchasing DCS and Combined Arms. I am 67 years old. I have spent the last 6 years playing War Thunder. I have now concluded that War Thunder will never fix it's Realistic mode. A quick note to the DCS Developers: There are many people like myself who are looking for a War Thunder Realistic/ Simulator alternative. The demand for such software is there.

Due to my age and slower reflexes, I can never become a Jet Jockey. I do fly Xplane, and may be able to learn to fly a ground pounder. However, my main interest is in military strategic planning, the deployment of air and ground assets, the maneuvering of ground forces, and trying to figure out what the other side plans to do. Then counter those moves. Thus my interest in the Combined Arms Mission Editor.

Questions I am trying to find answers to:

1. Are there any future releases planned for Combined Arms? Is 2.0 it?

If not, I do not want to waste my time and money.

2. How large of a Mission can I make? Can I have 30-40 fighting air to air aircraft, another 50-60 attack aircraft, 40-50 Tanks, and 100's of other ground assets involved all at the same time, in the same single Mission? What's the limit?

3. Is there a detailed list of the different types of Ground Assets for Combined Arms? I read somewhere there are over 105-118 units. Where do I find a detailed list? What are they? Are they only Russian made?

There is a good chance that I may want to create in depth Missions for others. I used to be a Wildlife Cinematographer and I have extensive video editing experience.

Is the Combined Arms Mission Editor worth my time and investment?

IMHO, the short answer is: No.

The potential of Combined Arms in DCS is huge! But, in it's current state that potential remains largely untapped. Persistant bugs and shortcomings make for a frustrating experience.

ED has previously stated that they "have big plans for Combined Arms". However, it seems other priorities have left the module neglected for ages. At this point, it is unclear if/when it will get the attention it needs.

You can read some other opinions here:

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

... my main interest is in military strategic planning, the deployment of air and ground assets, the maneuvering of ground forces, and trying to figure out what the other side plans to do. Then counter those moves.

Hi, maybe you should take a look at more strategic simulators .. Command is one of the best .. here is a walktrough of one of its scenarios, if you want to take a look at how it is played:

ciH7ddTtZHQ

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you for the information. I have so many friends who are totally disillusioned with War Thunder and World of Tanks. We are starving for a realistic Tank Sim similar to Steel Beasts, but with great graphics. I thought DCS Combined Arms would give us what we want. I see there are very few individuals using this forum, and there are very few DCS Combined Arms videos on Youtube. That tells me something.

I like what I see in Combined Arms. Great concept, but poorly executed and some poor graphics. I have searched for information concerning the future of Combined Arms, and I have found little. That is very poor marketing on the part of Eagle Dynamics.

Command Live look's real interesting. However, I am looking for something that isn't all strategy, and has a few first person shooting opportunities, and great 3D ground vehicle graphics. Wow, Combined Arms would work if they fixed some of the ground mechanics and graphics. Eagle Dynamics is sure missing the boat with this one. In it's current state, I don't think I will be buying Combined Arms.

Edited by Skunk Cabbage

you should try arma2 or arma3 (with RHS mod)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I don't want to be misunderstood. I am not looking for a Tank Sim. I am looking for a combined arms simulator. I still want to fly an aircraft. But, I also want the ability to control and even sit in ground vehicles.

At some point ED actually considered implementing a full fidelity tank module (specifically the M1 Abrams), but that didn't work out for unkown reasons (see here for some infos about it). I'm pretty confident though that at some point in the future we will actually get such a module in DCS.

Untill then we have to work with CA which was supposed to get a big overhaul called CA 2.0, but I don't know what the status is on that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

At some point ED actually considered implementing a full fidelity tank module (specifically the M1 Abrams), but that didn't work out for unkown reasons (see here for some infos about it). I'm pretty confident though that at some point in the future we will actually get such a module in DCS.

Untill then we have to work with CA which was supposed to get a big overhaul called CA 2.0, but I don't know what the status is on that.

I'll wait until the next release of Combined Arms and then look at it again. I have also been watching IL-2 Tank Crew. However, Tank Crew doesn't appear to be a true joint/combined arms. I believe Eagle Dynamics would be shocked if they knew how many people are out there looking for a quality joint combined arms platform.

As far as Arma, it's just another bang bang first person shooter. There is no real strategic planning. WOT, WT, Arma, Post Scrotum, are are arcade models were the person with the fastest eye and hand coordination wins. I am looking for a combined arms simulator that requires strategy and some brain power.

As far as Arma, it's just another bang bang first person shooter. There is no real strategic planning. WOT, WT, Arma, Post Scrotum, are are arcade models were the person with the fastest eye and hand coordination wins. I am looking for a combined arms simulator that requires strategy and some brain power.

I have to partially disagree on that in regards to ArmA. There are many milsim units playing ArmA seriously with intensive planning phases and strategic (or rather operational or tactical) gameplay with an actual unit and command structure all the way up to company level. But you're right if you just play vanilla ArmA or on public servers.

Anyways, it's OT here.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The in-game encyclopedia has a list of unit types in the simulator; most are directly controllable with the exception of infantry, naval units, a few transport trucks and complex multi-unit SAM systems such as the SA-10. Orders to engage specific targets, switch radar on/off, and move can still be issued through the Combined Arms interface even for units you can't directly control. The direct control interface is definitely not a simulation to the fidelity of the aircraft, but I still personally find it enjoyable.

The map-based command interface is fairly simple. You can give point-to-point move orders, change between a few basic formation types, and set restrictions for sensor and/or weapon usage. You can also order units to attack specific targets.

As DCS is still primarily a flight simulator, you will occasionally encounter some wonky terrain if trying to orchestrate complex (or sometimes simple..such as units getting stuck in a road in a city) movements. AI behavior for ground units is also not overly complex.

You are able to incorporate significant numbers of air and ground units without major hangups, though this is obviously somewhat dependent on your system specifications. Large numbers of AI ground units moving simultaneously, specifically, will tend to bog things down.

If you're looking for tactical command of a total war scenario with a fully populated map, I think you'll find the Combined Arms doesn't meet your requirements..if you want to operate as a tactical commander in a focused area and/or direct player flights as a JTAC, I think you'll be very satisfied with the options available to you.

If you're hesitant to commit to the expenditure, I'd recommend downloading DCS and just exploring the encyclopedia and the mission editor a bit. That should give you a rough idea of the types of scenarios that are possible and perhaps aid in your decision. Plus, hey! Free Su-25T and a great map. :)

Edited by feefifofum

The in-game encyclopedia has a list of unit types in the simulator; most are directly controllable with the exception of infantry, naval units, a few transport trucks and complex multi-unit SAM systems such as the SA-10. Orders to engage specific targets, switch radar on/off, and move can still be issued through the Combined Arms interface even for units you can't directly control. The direct control interface is definitely not a simulation to the fidelity of the aircraft, but I still personally find it enjoyable.

The map-based command interface is fairly simple. You can give point-to-point move orders, change between a few basic formation types, and set restrictions for sensor and/or weapon usage. You can also order units to attack specific targets.

As DCS is still primarily a flight simulator, you will occasionally encounter some wonky terrain if trying to orchestrate complex (or sometimes simple..such as units getting stuck in a road in a city) movements. AI behavior for ground units is also not overly complex.

You are able to incorporate significant numbers of air and ground units without major hangups, though this is obviously somewhat dependent on your system specifications. Large numbers of AI ground units moving simultaneously, specifically, will tend to bog things down.

If you're looking for tactical command of a total war scenario with a fully populated map, I think you'll find the Combined Arms doesn't meet your requirements..if you want to operate as a tactical commander in a focused area and/or direct player flights as a JTAC, I think you'll be very satisfied with the options available to you.

If you're hesitant to commit to the expenditure, I'd recommend downloading DCS and just exploring the encyclopedia and the mission editor a bit. That should give you a rough idea of the types of scenarios that are possible and perhaps aid in your decision. Plus, hey! Free Su-25T and a great map. :)

Thank you very much! Yes, I am interested in being a tactical commander. I was hoping to find that information without having to download a very large file. I am on a limited monthly download plan of only 50 gig, and I can't afford to waste it. However, I am impressed with the above.

I have downloaded the CA Manual. But, the Manual does not list ground asset types or amounts.

I will be using a new i7 with 32 memory. 1080ti graphics which arrives in 2 weeks. In the mean time I have been watching all the video's I can find.

Is there any indication when there will be a update? Most companies bring their new stuff out around October.

I have to partially disagree on that in regards to ArmA. There are many milsim units playing ArmA seriously with intensive planning phases and strategic (or rather operational or tactical) gameplay with an actual unit and command structure all the way up to company level. But you're right if you just play vanilla ArmA or on public servers.

Anyways, it's OT here.

I agree, arma is not bang-bang 1st person shooter, playing arma with ACE/RHS requies strategy and commitment.

arma is not call of duty or BF1....

1 shot and you got killed......

sorry for the OT.

As for Combine arms my dream is a game with DCS flight capabilities simulations and arma3 infantry sims.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I looked at some Arma 3 videos. I grew up with guns. I hunted for over 40 years. We were always taught never to point a gun, loaded or not loaded, at any anyone unless you plan to shoot them. In Arma 3, I continually watched players pointing guns directly at other players on their own team when they talked to them. This really bothers me. This is not my culture, nor the environment I wish to place myself in. In Arma 3, this type of activity should be rectified.

After looking at the other options out there, I am still considering DCS.

Edited by Skunk Cabbage

• 1 month later...

Some conflicting information on different games - you have to remember your experience will vary a lot depending on your playstyle/server/mod/clan etc. Too bad it's against forum rules to discuss them here, you could always send me a PM or go to reddit.

Combined arms is a challenging subject. I think there are some good implementations out there but we're still waiting for a true holy grail to emerge around the turn of this decade.

In DCS, multicrew might be a very interesting option for you.

Other than that - did you notice DCS costs zero bucks? Would allow you a first blood and then just wait for some of the older modules to be on sale in a couple of months.

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS