F-18 Autostart Failure

Stuka1963

If you didn't refuel and arm first it could be empty of fuel as well .....Some servers start with fuel empty.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue using Auto Start for the F-18, the only way I can start the right engine, is by taking off (yes with one engine) and manually starting the right.

Also when I get right RPM engine failure the AutoStart completely stops.

If the engine temp is minus at startup the auto start will fail the right engine start. As soon as you see it fail then hit the right start switch immediately and it will continue...Last I observed it was based on a the temperature set in an MP mission......

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

• 10 months later...
If the engine temp is minus at startup the auto start will fail the right engine start. As soon as you see it fail then hit the right start switch immediately and it will continue...Last I observed it was based on a the temperature set in an MP mission......

Did not work for me :-(

This. Although, it is typically the left engine that fails to start for me when using the auto start feature when in a cold climate. Been happening on a particular MP server that I regularly fly in.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I will state what I have read in most of the manuals and follow myself (also ties in to what I see failing with autostart sometimes [i used it when I am busy doing other stuff]). If you want to dive into the details, it depends on the wind speed and the wind direction, but generally speaking, you should start the engine which is shielded from the incoming wind first. The longer version deals with windmilling and compressor stalls. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube which detail the effects of incoming wind speed and angle, and how they can cause compressor stalls (depends on the blade angle).

If you find that autostart gets stuck at any step, do it manually and it will pick up from there.

Oh, I also just remembered that autostart doesn't work on some servers (REAL WAR comes to mind) ... and you need to start up the bird manually. You can perhaps look into the checklists and see if a manual start has the same issues. If a manual start works where the autostart failed (following the exact same procedure), then it may be a case of that particular server.

• 5 months later...

I have found auto start fails if both throttles are at cutoff. Both throttles must be in Idle at the beginning of the auto start sequence.

I have run into another problem with auto start though. I started to use SRS. Radio connect and work great in manual start but when performing an auto start, somewhere in the sequence, the SRS radios reset to 0.00 from 305.000 and will no longer work. Anyone know why? Thanks!