Reversing the DLC/Manuver Flaps control on the stick wheel?

Voyager

Ended up binding the DLC wheel the the thumb hat Up/Down rather than forward/back. This had the surprising reveal that the DLC command for down is also the command for raising the maneuver flaps. I'm wondering if there is a way to bind those buttons so DLC down is the same as Maneuver flaps down?

I know, it's not exactly the same ergonomics as the original platform but works better if the axis is vertical.

The logic in the real aircraft seems to be less along the lines of retraction and extension and more along the lines of how it affects the aircrafts lift.

That's why pushing the switch forwards in the real aircraft retracts the maneuvre flaps and extends the DLC spoilers, both actions reducing lift.

The opposite is true of pulling the switch backwards, maneuvre flaps extends and DLC spoilers retract, both increasing lift.

When you as a pilot get used to thinking in terms of lift or glidepath instead of retraction or extension it makes more sense. At list it did to me! :-)

Understood it is in terms of lift. What I've run into is I've got Thumb hat Forward and back reserved for counter measures on other aircraft, so I've bound the wheel to Up and down on the thumb hat. The lift thinking works and is intuitive for the Direct Lift Control, but on Flaps controls the standard is 'Down means lift'.

I'm happy with the DLC binding, and if I can't switch the maneuver flaps, I can separately bind the flap handle to the spare lever on the throttle and run it manually. Apparently just dropping full flaps can break them... (That was a fun flight:))

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the keyboard bindings are wrong and the Axis control is as well.

On the keyboard we have four commands:

Flaps_Down, Flaps_UP and Emergency_Flaps_Down, Emergency_Flaps_Up

Each of these commands places the Flap handle in the emergency setting range respectively on the throttle quadrant.

The Flap Axis range of motion will move the flap handle from one emergency setting to the other and all points in between.

pg 29 Heatblur F-14A/B Tomcat Documentation, Release 1.0

The flap lever has a stepless range of motion between up and down and has two emergency positions, one emergency up

and one emergency down. Both emergency positions have detents, the lever needs to be moved outboards to continue

movement into these positions. Emergency up forces the flaps up, overriding the normal flap logic. Emergency down

is non-functional.

As I read that, I would expect the keybinds to move the flap handle to the limits of their up and down range as though using an axis, and for the Axis binding to move only to the limits of the up and down setting and not into the emergency stops.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS