Why Dubai? How ED decides on which map to make.

WelshZeCorgi

Is Eagle Dynamics predicting a large scale conflict in that area in the near future?

Kind of wish they worked on a Korean war map for the mig and saber and possibly a Vietnam map for the Huey/mig21 and upcoming phantom.

Edit: I think my mind has been changed from the valid arguments below. I did end up buying the map due to this.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

And a lot of promotional capital exist there, wouldn't be surprised some of it was dropped in ED:s pockets...

Tinfoil hats on!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Is Eagle Dynamics predicting a large scale conflict in that area in the near future?

Kind of wish they worked on a Korean war map for the mig and saber and possibly a Vietnam map for the Huey/mig21 and upcoming phantom.

The Strait of Hormuz is a major world flashpoint. The U.S. has been in a cold war with Iran for almost 40 years now, so it's very much a relevant theater.

It could well be.

And ED was right about Crimea (in the Flanker series)... :noexpression:

I highly doubt it, but if true, I wish the city of Fulda had the same tourism budget!

Unfortunately (?) Fulda doesn't have oil... :music_whistling:

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

On 2011-12, was the Strait of Hormuz dispute, that was "use" by ED to build a "plausible" map of a "what if" the dispute will be turn "hot".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Strait_of_Hormuz_dispute

Operation Praying Mantis ?

F-18 as A-7Es

F-14's

We have the oil rigs

Ticonderoga could stand in for the Vincennes ... Do we have an A300B2 in game ?

Less than appropriate...

Ah screw it....

That post is vile , sir , just vile

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Lol, triggered much? It was 30yrs ago, get a grip.

Yes , and 30 years later , families are still mourning .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Less than appropriate...

Ah screw it....

That post is vile , sir , just vile

If I have offended any of the family, friends, loved ones or countrymen and women of those on Iran Air Flight 655 I apologise.

That was not my intention.

Cheers.

It is Middle East. Predicting a war, small, med, or major is safe bet. There is already a medium sized conflict in Gulf. Yemen. Syrian Civil War, Iraqie insurgency and counter-terror. Plus piracy in Arabian Sea and Gulf Of Aden. SA and GCC are trying to recreate Desert Storm by bombing Iran supported Yemeni faction into sand and dust. Then there is a very possible if not inevitable showdown between Iran and Israel. The region is a mess.

It is Middle East. Predicting a war, small, med, or major is safe bet. There is already a medium sized conflict in Gulf. Yemen. Syrian Civil War, Iraqie insurgency and counter-terror. Plus piracy in Arabian Sea and Gulf Of Aden. SA and GCC are trying to recreate Desert Storm by bombing Iran supported Yemeni faction into sand and dust. Then there is a very possible if not inevitable showdown between Iran and Israel. The region is a mess.

Although I agree with you the region is a total mess and a the Strait's wick is just waiting for a match to light it, The Arabian Sea isn't really all that modelled, nor would a piracy scenario make sense for any aircraft in DCS, maybe the AH-1 when it comes along. Israel nowhere near the map, neither is Yemen.

However much I do enjoy the map and the airbases are utilized by US/Coalition forces, the map is somewhat difficult to work up a realistic campaign scenario; with the exception of planning another global conflict, it can be difficult to justify military operations between the US and Iran. I would have much rather have seen the Syria map, or Afghanistan map, or even Iraq as the terrain we received; I know those are all "coming" but I doubt we'll see anything for a number of years.

I do still hold out that ED will model the basic areas of Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Southeastern Iraq, and some of Northern Oman, but I fear that will never come about.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

The areas you want are boring. Its all flat and sand and rocks. OMan and Iran at least have mountains and varied terrain. As does NTTR. No place to hide from SAMs.

Normandy can stand in place of Central or Eastern Europe. Just wish that Normandy would have winter textures. I would like Eastern Europe, Baltic, and Scandanavia for authentic NATO ops. Maybe Bering Strait, Kamchatka, and Aleutians Island chain.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

We also don't know if this map was part of a commercial contract. It's a great real word training ground.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The areas you want are boring. Its all flat and sand and rocks. OMan and Iran at least have mountains and varied terrain. As does NTTR. No place to hide from SAMs.

Normandy can stand in place of Central or Eastern Europe. Just wish that Normandy would have winter textures. I would like Eastern Europe, Baltic, and Scandanavia for authentic NATO ops. Maybe Bering Strait, Kamchatka, and Aleutians Island chain.

They might be relatively flat but modern conflicts have all been fought there with aircraft we have available in DCS, can't say the same for Iran.

A Scandinavian/Baltic map would be my number one choice for the next terrain; theres so much that could be done there that could correlate to potential conflicts for the past 80 years.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

it's as if you where over at Battlefront telling them when they made syria v USA Shock Force 1, if they were planning a conflict there to, and not to mention when Black Sea mission too, was released happen to be a coincidence with that conflict too.

Not to hard to tell where the next one will be...

many military conflict zones on the world ATM.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Realistic Hormuz scenario is not difficult to create. Straight of Hormuz, and much of the PG is shallow. Large deep draft vessels like tankers, containers, Panamax, aircraft carriers, and submarines, can only pass Hormuz via deep water Chanel. That chanell runs between Tunb islands , Abu Musa, and Farur. The 4 islands, Greater and Lesser Tunb, Abu Musa, Siri, and Farur are keys to Hormuz. Right now they are Iranian sovereign territory, with Abu Musa being disputed between Iran and UAE(with GCC supporting UAE position). To close Hormuz, and to keep it closed Iran would have to militarize and fortify those small islands, and reinforce Qesm, and Larak islands. Omani bases at Khassab and Fujuriah are important installations for deployment of shore based forces to reopen the Straight and keep it open by holding Iranians forces in Gulf at bay. As long as Iran controls the four islands, they can use them as quick reaction strike bases for mining the straight, direct attack on shipping, and small craft area denial operations. Air cover from Qesm and Bandar-E-Abbas, and short range air defense on the island would provide cover for Iranian operations. Short distance to Quesm and Iranian mainland eases logistics and reinforcements for iran to retain those islands. If Iran closes Hormuz, Allied forces would have to take control, for duration of conflict of Tunbs, Siri, Abu Musa, and Farur islands. That requires amphibious operations and sustained air campaign to suppress Iranian defenses to Allied surface, air, and ground forces. Airfields , air defense, and anti-shipping installations (shire based cruise missiles) on Quesm would need to be neutralized, and remain out of operation through out conflict. By denying Iran use of islands, denying them air cover, and limiting Iran to use its surface forces, Allies can quickly attit Iranian naval and air forces and render them incapable of closing the Straight, and threatening shipping.

• 4 weeks later...

I think everyone's also overlooking the fact that desert terrains are a lot easier to pump out than rocky/treed areas, and are a lot easier on the FPS I'm assuming. You see this in a lot of games, not just DCS. If they have made one desert map, you can guarantee in short order you're going to get a bunch more. It's just easy to justify as most of the conflict is happening in the Middle East these days...yes, it's the oil.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

I think everyone's also overlooking the fact that desert terrains are a lot easier to pump out than rocky/treed areas, and are a lot easier on the FPS I'm assuming. You see this in a lot of games, not just DCS. If they have made one desert map, you can guarantee in short order you're going to get a bunch more. It's just easy to justify as most of the conflict is happening in the Middle East these days...yes, it's the oil.

Personally I think you are pretty close to the truth here. ED has to take into consideration hardware and what it can run reasonably for maps in use like what we do with a flight simulation. I would also add making maps with large bodies of "water" to be easier on hardware and performance as well.

Look at the aircraft modelled in DCS. The star performers are naval in nature. ED has stated they will be redoing the whole carrier operations aspect of the game. There is a new third party developer (DEKA) who is making Chinese equipment, both naval assets and playable aircraft.

What's next beside the new desert maps coming? South China Sea? I'd put money on that. :smilewink: