Adjust rudder trim increments

Is is possible to reduce (or increase i suppose) the amount of rudder trimming that is input when I use a "button" (on a hat-switch) to trim the rudder?

I find that one click of rudder trim is moving the slip indicator by 3 to 5 degrees, which is too reactive. Ideally I'd like to be able to have a more fine control over the trimming, but I want to keep the key-binding set to the hat-switch, and not move it to an axis.

Anyone got any suggestion?

• Like 1

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Good point philstyle! I have wondered about it myself since I really find it too coarse.

The only thing that helped smoothing the effect was setting the rudder curve to 30% - something I never did to any of the ww2 aircraft modules ever released for DCS. I hope the fine tuning comes with one of upcoming patches :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I was thinking the same thing last night too.

That's the other thing, the steps on the rpm setting are quite large as well, thank goodness this is not a multi engine aircraft or you would never get the engines in sync ;)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Yes Alicatt, I agree with that one too, specially now that I am using only a TS16000 and no longer have my broken X52 HOTAS unit available for further throttle/ prop / mixture axis, and so have to use the keyboard or assign those functions to TS16000 buttons.

Prop is also way too coarse. They could create a "slow increase" / "slow decrease" option, or make the default one finer.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Im using a rotary on my throttle quadrant for rudder trim. It works better than a hat switch, though it too is a bit finnicky.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I find a rotary encoder gives almost one to one rotation in synch with the virtual trim knob.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Its button press time. I too with rotary encoders have very fine control, almost too fine at times. Yet if I adjust with the HAT/Pov thing on the stick, its too much at once. But its the longer you press, the more it trims. So you have to be super quick to make small adjustments. Thats what happens with rotary encoders, its just a super quick press.

A function similar to what is used for wheelbrakes might work. If using a button for brakes, brake pressure is progressively being added. Wonder if that is something in the control files, that can be added to trim for example?

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Yes Alicatt, I agree with that one too, specially now that I am using only a TS16000 and no longer have my broken X52 HOTAS unit available for further throttle/ prop / mixture axis, and so have to use the keyboard or assign those functions to TS16000 buttons.

Prop is also way too coarse. They could create a "slow increase" / "slow decrease" option, or make the default one finer.

I've stopped using my Cougar and am now using a T16000M, the flying is a lot smoother with it than the Cougar which is showing it's age, normally I would have assigned a rotary to the pitch and trim but I don't have that luxury now.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Is is possible to reduce (or increase i suppose) the amount of rudder trimming that is input when I use a "button" (on a hat-switch) to trim the rudder?

I find that one click of rudder trim is moving the slip indicator by 3 to 5 degrees, which is too reactive. Ideally I'd like to be able to have a more fine control over the trimming, but I want to keep the key-binding set to the hat-switch, and not move it to an axis.

Hi Phil,

Here is my WH Script for just that. I have trim on H1.

Change the number 150/50 to suit yourself. It is the pulse rate of the key in milliseconds.

Cheers

Cats . . . .

MapKey(&Joystick, H1U, REXEC(0, 150, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+';');"));

MapKey(&Joystick, H1D, REXEC(0, 150, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+'.');"));

MapKey(&Joystick, H1L, REXEC(0, 50, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+',');"));

MapKey(&Joystick, H1R, REXEC(0, 50, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+'/');"));

Yes please! I too would like to have better rudder trim control. Please reply once you have a good working solution.:thumbup:

Using the Target SW and the type of control mentioned above should work, but you then either have to just use it for the Spit, and redo your input settings in DCS, which aren't that complex for this aircraft, then restart without it for every other aircraft, or redo them all using the script and the Combined Controller" that it creates. That is too much faffing for me though, although you can exclude everything but the stick in the script like this. The Stick will Need to be remapped in DCS and is labelled "Thrustmaster Combined", All the other controls are seen as they normally are. IF you don't have MFDs, just comment out those lines. Note the commands to pulse the keystrokes should have Right Control added.

include "target.tmh"

//program startup

int main()

{

Configure(&LMFD,MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&RMFD,MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&Throttle,MODE_EXCLUDED);

//Configure(&Joystick,MODE_EXCLUDED);

if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1; // declare the event handler, return on error

//add initialization code here

MapAxis(&Joystick, JOYX, DX_X_AXIS);

MapAxis(&Joystick, JOYY, DX_Y_AXIS);

MapKey(&Joystick, H1U, REXEC(0, 150, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+R_CTL+';');"));

MapKey(&Joystick, H1D, REXEC(0, 150, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+R_CTL+'.');"));

MapKey(&Joystick, H1L, REXEC(0, 10, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+R_CTL+',');"));

MapKey(&Joystick, H1R, REXEC(0, 10, "ActKey(KEYON+PULSE+R_CTL+'/');"));

}

//event handler

int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x)

{

DefaultMapping(&o, x);

//add event handling code here

}

These trim commands should not be mapped to buttons in DCS since the script is sending keystrokes directly via a virtual keyboard.

Personally, I wouldn't use the one for the Elevator, since that trim is already far too slow, and would comment it out then map it as normal to the up & down hat buttons.

Alternatively, since the trim directly affects the rudder position (watch it while you trim on the ground), perhaps you could try reducing the Y saturation of the rudder to lessen its influence in the first place? Also, using the mouse on the trim wheel itself gives finer control.

I use my Trim Hat for elevator and rudder trim, and for me, the rudder is just right, but the elevator is way too slow.

I sometimes use a second throttle (From my X52Pro) for extra axes and buttons, the rotaries on that would probably be good for trim controls, in so much as you could at least see where they are positioned at a glance (tip -use tippex to mark the centre).

Totally agree Phil, it would be nice to have some sort of adjustment to the amount of trim applied by a button. I use the TMS on my Warthog, and I do feel that too much is applied by each slight press. Means adjusting back and fore a lot of the time.

Request to ED?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

but it can also mean youre fighting your aircraft tendency and may be, just a little, overspeeding?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.