ASW 2.0 Support?

Johnston

Not sure what you mean. ASW is contained within the Oculus SDK and is entirely independent of DCS. It should just work, but only with Oculus products.

Apologies if this is not what you meant.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Not sure what you mean. ASW is contained within the Oculus SDK and is entirely independent of DCS. It should just work, but only with Oculus products.

I have no opinion one way or another , but did note this post...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3871450&postcount=2395

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have no opinion one way or another , but did note this post...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3871450&postcount=2395

Good find. I did not know that.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Until now, ASW has been self-contained in the runtime, where it just works—but we knew it could be better. Today, we’re excited to release the first major upgrade to ASW. ASW 2.0 builds on our previous version, activating to support headset performance in a full 6DOF space, accounting for depth and rotation. ASW 2.0 combines ASW with an existing experimental technology, Positional Timewarp (PTW) to take our PC runtime prediction accuracy to the next level and further boost app performance and frame rate.

And later in the article about supporting it

ASW 2.0 asks developers to expose depth information. With the Rift system interface Dash, the Oculus PC runtime already uses PTW to smooth performance, blending the Dash interface over an app’s depth-composition layers. As such, most Rift apps on the Oculus Store built on Unreal Engine 4 and Unity already provide the depth information required to make ASW 2.0 work.

Wrong, ASW 2.0 only works, if the program *DCS* is supporting it.

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Maybe it's already enabled on DCS ... we don't know until ED tell us if they are providing the depth information to the Oculus SDK, like Unreal and Unity do :)

"As such, most Rift apps on the Oculus Store built on Unreal Engine 4 and Unity already provide the depth information required to make ASW 2.0 work"

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-asw-2-point-0-better-accuracy-lower-latency/

What they don't tell in the blog, if we need tu update the runtime or if it will work already with the 1.36 ...

Edited by cercata

It would be a welcome addition, *should* fix the artifacts caused by Sptifire propeller among other things.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

It would be a welcome addition, *should* fix the artifacts caused by Sptifire propeller among other things.

Yes, that will probably be a huge improvement for all WWII / prop aircrafts. Should also reduce other artifacts such on wingtips/sidewinders when flying low against the ground and such. Probably makes dogfights a bit smoother and more immersive aswell.

hmm, I see no difference in DCS. If anything performance with the new Oculus drivers is worse. Still feels better disabling ASW 2.0...

DCS doesn’t use ASW 2.0 yet. Needs to be modified to do so.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

hmm, I see no difference in DCS. If anything performance with the new Oculus drivers is worse. Still feels better disabling ASW 2.0...

419.67 ? Most , including myself , find it smoother .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

No, I meant the new Oculus drivers released today, with the new ASW 2.0.

But thx for reminding me to update GPU drivers as well.

Be aware though. ASW 2.0 currently does not work with DCS

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Do any of you chaps know how to trigger Oculus to update itself to the latest patch?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Do any of you chaps know how to trigger Oculus to update itself to the latest patch?

The latest release will push out to you automatically, usually takes 3-5 days or so for everyone to get it. 1.36 has been out a while so everyone should have it.

1.37 is currently on the Public Test Channel. If you opt in for it on your Oculus Home Desktop app, it will push out to you right away. If you wait you would get it when it goes to release, usually in about a week or two after it enters PTC.

Not sure which if any ASW2.0 might be in.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If ASW1 works with DCS then surely ASW2 is just an update to ASW1 and would still work?

Apparently ASW 2.0 works only if developers "expose depth information", whatever that may mean.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-asw-2-point-0-better-accuracy-lower-latency/

ASW 2.0 asks developers to expose depth information. With the Rift system interface Dash, the Oculus PC runtime already uses PTW to smooth performance, blending the Dash interface over an app’s depth-composition layers. As such, most Rift apps on the Oculus Store built on Unreal Engine 4 and Unity already provide the depth information required to make ASW 2.0 work. As more apps provide this information, ASW 2.0 support will become increasingly ubiquitous.

Interestingly, I updated to Oculus Runtime 1.37 (beta channel) and there's a noticeable improvement. Spitfire gunsight does not flicker any more with ASW enabled, and there seem to be less visual artefacts overall, although they are not gone 100%. Not sure if that's ASW 2.0 working in DCS, or just Oculus updated their ASW 1.0 algorithms.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Apparently ASW 2.0 works only if developers "expose depth information", whatever that may mean.

"Depth information" means information about the actual position of each pixel in the 3D world. Usually you only have the final 2D image to be displayed on the monitor (or one for each eye in the HMD) and only know each pixel's color. However, you actually don't know the location of the pixel in the 3-dimensional scene that is being rendered. Is the pixel very close to the camera or is it far away? Does this pixel belong to the cockpit right in front of you or is it part of the mountain range dozens of miles away?

This information is usually stored in a "depth buffer". It stores the "depth" of each pixel or in other words: The distance between the camera and the pixel in the 3D scene. ASW 2.0 requires the game developers to supply this depth buffer to the Oculus runtime, because the "depth" is required for some of their calculations.

Some games or game engines already supply their depth buffer (Unreal/Unity) and will automatically benefit from ASW 2.0. Not sure if DCS does or doesn't at the moment.

So it seems that DCS is not utilising the benefits of ASW 2.0 at this point because there is not the depth data required, yet. Nevertheless, there seems to be some improvements on Oculus 1.37.

Does anyone know for certain if the new terrain data improvements that WAGS has discussed elsewhere (coming soon) will have this depth data provided?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.