=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

What is up with the K4? I caught one low and slow over the airfield. I unloaded everything I had into his cockpit. Not only did he fly away on fire, but he was easily climbing as he did it. I had to RTB I used every bullet. ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey guys,

I’ve never played multiplayer before and am thinking I’d like to. I fly numerous planes, but due to the nature of the dog fighting and my love of old warbirds, feel that WW2-era multiplayer would perhaps be the most fun. That said, hopefully it’s okay to ask these questions here even though they’re not exactly BS server related (but I’m interested in playing on your server for the aforementioned reasons):

The biggest question I have is this: Will I get completely dominated playing in VR? As others who have gone VR can attest, there’s no going back. However the main issues and potential handicaps I see are both a result of visibility. I know spotting other aircraft is hard enough as it is, but it’s REALLY hard in VR. I mention this because in the videos I’ve watched from the server it looks like no type of labels are used. I imagine It’ll be very easy to get bounced often.

Second is the difficulty in checking your six. Again in videos, I see guys on monitors using a key or whatever to quickly, easily, and clearly check directly behind them. This is harder (although more realistic) in VR and potentially a major disadvantage.

Perhaps I’m looking too hard into it all and should just jump in and try. Thanks to anyone who read this far into my rambling and for any responses.

-Chris

No, not at all. Some of the best players I know fly with VR. It has some advantages, and some disadvantages, but overall it wont make someone significantly better or worse.

Spotting is bad, but its bad on a monitor too.... and the labels help a little. IDing is more of an issue, especially now that the trwcers arent all different anymore. it can help to fly in a group where people talk about what theyre attacking a bit.

as you say 6 checks are the biggest disadvantage. can make last ditch defensive flying significantly more challenging, but if youre a newbie i wouldnt worry about that too much anyway.

What is up with the K4? I caught one low and slow over the airfield. I unloaded everything I had into his cockpit. Not only did he fly away on fire, but he was easily climbing as he did it. I had to RTB I used every bullet. ?????

The DMs have been shoddy at best for all the planes for long enough that everyone here already knows about it. Even more so with the process of making and integrating the new ones recently. Do you guys really have to keep on repeating yourselves every 5 minutes on every damn thread you can find? Or is it some sort of unwritten rule in the 362nd that you have to proclaim the mustangs inferiority at every possible chance?

Can you imagine the butthurt there would be if a sqn of 109 pilots complained about the mustang or spit as incessantly as you do?

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

No, not at all. Some of the best players I know fly with VR. It has some advantages, and some disadvantages, but overall it wont make someone significantly better or worse.

Spotting is bad, but its bad on a monitor too.... and the labels help a little. IDing is more of an issue, especially now that the trwcers arent all different anymore. it can help to fly in a group where people talk about what theyre attacking a bit.

as you say 6 checks are the biggest disadvantage. can make last ditch defensive flying significantly more challenging, but if youre a newbie i wouldnt worry about that too much anyway.

The DMs have been shoddy at best for all the planes for long enough that everyone here already knows about it. Even more so with the process of making and integrating the new ones recently. Do you guys really have to keep on repeating yourselves every 5 minutes on every damn thread you can find? Or is it some sort of unwritten rule in the 362nd that you have to proclaim the mustangs inferiority at every possible chance?

Can you imagine the butthurt there would be if a sqn of 109 pilots complained about the mustang or spit as incessantly as you do?

Maybe if you paid attention you would have notice That I didn’t mention the damage modal, yea it sucks! We know!!! Nor did I state “inferiority” of the P51, No, I didn’t!!! “You did!” I simply posted my experience so that Eekz would know that something has changed from the last update and not for the better. The K4 has always been hard to kill but it is different now, something changed from the last update on this particular server and not for the better. It’s not just the P51 but also the Spitfire experiencing the same issue. I was posting my experience to make Eekz aware of it and just maybe he would look into it sense it is the forum for his server. So, maybe you should focus less on throwing around accusations and actually add something constructive, and yes plenty of 109 pilots have constantly whined about how hard it is to kill Spitfires and how the 190 MW50 is broken.

Calm down mate, people come onto the forums to discuss things including problems they perceive in the game. You have no place telling others what they can and can't discuss. Also you don't make yourself look good by insulting people. I also don't understand how you somehow assume that people who bring up problems with the P51D don't also fly other aircraft including the 109.

Regarding enemy planes taking alot of damage, my game may not have updated the most recent patch last time I flew. Maybe I had an older version of the game which made it buggy? Though Im not sure if you can join a server with a different version of the game? Something weird was definitely going on last time I flew on Burning skies.

Could you make a small video next time for more clarity?

I was posting my experience to make Eekz aware of it and just maybe he would look into it sense it is the forum for his server.
What do you think he should do after that?

And something else. You all, of course, know that in online games, hit registration depends not only on DM, but also on the specific conditions of network traffic passing between two clients and the server, right?

NO REZINO NO DELFINO

Hey guys,

I’ve never played multiplayer before and am thinking I’d like to. I fly numerous planes, but due to the nature of the dog fighting and my love of old warbirds, feel that WW2-era multiplayer would perhaps be the most fun. That said, hopefully it’s okay to ask these questions here even though they’re not exactly BS server related (but I’m interested in playing on your server for the aforementioned reasons):

The biggest question I have is this: Will I get completely dominated playing in VR? As others who have gone VR can attest, there’s no going back. However the main issues and potential handicaps I see are both a result of visibility. I know spotting other aircraft is hard enough as it is, but it’s REALLY hard in VR. I mention this because in the videos I’ve watched from the server it looks like no type of labels are used. I imagine It’ll be very easy to get bounced often.

Second is the difficulty in checking your six. Again in videos, I see guys on monitors using a key or whatever to quickly, easily, and clearly check directly behind them. This is harder (although more realistic) in VR and potentially a major disadvantage.

Perhaps I’m looking too hard into it all and should just jump in and try. Thanks to anyone who read this far into my rambling and for any responses.

-Chris

You definately are looking too hard into it ! Just use whatever hardware, settings or aircraft brings the most fun for you. VR is in no way a disadvantage. Labels on or off make a HUGE difference though. Eather you fly to the next dark big spot on the sky and meet everybody there or you do it the classic way and search the skies without a virtual help. I suggest turning labels off and unbind any kind of zoom. It is definately the most fun and realistic way to go hunting. Every kill is handmade so to speak and on top of that it is rewarding as hell. Good luck out there :-)

Did you check your latency and the victim's latency? Maybe the issue is the server not getting the data from you or/and your opponent due to packet loss or/and latency.

Btw, is the FM bug, where you could push/pull the stick down/up and never lose energy, still there? I've never heard any of you complaining about it.. ;)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

This is not isolated to just me, multiple flyers are experiencing the same thing. I saw two P51 and a Spitfire tangle with a single 109 yesterday. All the planes hit with burst upon burst and even the Spitfires cannons couldn’t take it down. All three planes ran out of ammo and had to leave the fight. The Spitfire pilot even made a comment saying “why can’t I shoot these guys down?” As far as latency and packet loss etc...all I can judge by is what I see! When I see hundreds of rounds impacting and the guy starts to smoke or catch fire then I expect them to go down. I’m doing the same thing against A8’s and they go down. When flying the 190, I see Spitfires and P51’s go down. Currently what I’m seeing is that it takes no less then two P51 and nearly every bullet they have to take down a single 109. Also, this just started after the latest update, Prior to this update it was tough to take down the k4 but didn’t take nearly as much as it’s taking at the moment. I’ve been flying this server multiple times a week for over two years so it’s easy to notice changes. There has been issues in the past with other bugs such as the Spitfire bug that kept it off the server for months. So it is possible that the k4 is currently bugged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Did you check your latency and the victim's latency? Maybe the issue is the server not getting the data from you or/and your opponent due to packet loss or/and latency.

Btw, is the FM bug, where you could push/pull the stick down/up and never lose energy, still there? I've never heard any of you complaining about it.. ;)

What are you talking about? I’ve never experienced this push pull and not lose energy bug? In my experience if you push or pull suddenly in the P51 you’ll snap roll or rip off a wing.

I have seen many 109’s flyers do this and it’s annoying but that’s a different topic

Something has indeed changed, a friend of mine who flies the 109 recently had both ailerons shot off and STILL had aileron control of the aircraft.

It seems that we are in the middle of transition of the old damage model and the new one and some weird things are going on. This could be a rough ride as we really can't do much until they sort out the new damage model and release it in full. Hopefully this will come soon as dealing with these problems is frustrating.

Something has indeed changed, a friend of mine who flies the 109 recently had both ailerons shot off and STILL had aileron control of the aircraft.

It seems that we are in the middle of transition of the old damage model and the new one and some weird things are going on. This could be a rough ride as we really can't do much until they sort out the new damage model and release it in full. Hopefully this will come soon as dealing with these problems is frustrating.

Agreed and I would assume the same thing if the new DM had been implemented but according to Wags and Nineline the new DM hasn’t been implemented yet and its still in testing.

They have admitted that certain things in the visuals department have gotten into the OB patch. That we are seeing certain damage that has not really happened could be a side effect of that. OR damage that should be linked to a system is not there yet, so leaves it unaffected.

You definately are looking too hard into it ! Just use whatever hardware, settings or aircraft brings the most fun for you. VR is in no way a disadvantage. Labels on or off make a HUGE difference though. Eather you fly to the next dark big spot on the sky and meet everybody there or you do it the classic way and search the skies without a virtual help. I suggest turning labels off and unbind any kind of zoom. It is definately the most fun and realistic way to go hunting. Every kill is handmade so to speak and on top of that it is rewarding as hell. Good luck out there :-)

Thanks for the responses guys. I’ll give it a go soon and see ya out there.

Is switching between allied or axis forces any time I join the server okay or do most people pick one side and always stick with it? I have the P-51D and the Fw 190A-8.

And since I play in VR do I need that SRS program or something to talk to people?

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

Thanks for the responses guys. I’ll give it a go soon and see ya out there.

Is switching between allied or axis forces any time I join the server okay or do most people pick one side and always stick with it? (I have the P-51D and the Fw 190A-8)

And since I play in VR do I need that SRS program or something to talk to people?

You can switch planes at any time while your on the server, your not locked into any particular aircraft or side. There is no SRS for Burning Skies, I think there’s a Discord channel for comms??? but I’m not 100% sure about that. Lots of guys fly with no comms at all or wing up with a friend and us Discord to communicate.

The only real issue with VR is (like posted earlier) the identification of friend or foe. It’s pretty difficult in VR but you will learn it over time. Just expect to be shot down a lot until you gain the skill. Also double and triple verify the guy in front of you is a bad guy before you shoot him.

Edited by Campbell

ED puts stuff in patches without telling us all the time. Hell just a few days ago they mentioned the VR optimisation has been in for 2 weeks now after explicitly stating it wasnt. Its very possible that parts of the new DM are already in.

I've had this same conversation about a million times over the years, both on the forums or in teamspeak etc etc etc. From both sides. Plenty of times I've seen Mustangs or Spits swallow 30mm like its nothing and then eat up 13mm just to change the color of their smoke a few times, then go home and land. I've had flights in the Mustang where I go out and every guy I shoot at falls to bits after a nice short burst. Ive had flights in the Mustang where a 109 eats quite a bit of .50 before they go down.

While its possible that something has changed in the last few patches..... its much more likely that this is just people getting frustrated, same as always.

The best way to make your MGs do anything in DCS has always been a solid burst at high deflection. Singular sporadic hits, even if there are many of them, from directly behind someone have always been less effective in DCS. Even more so for MG instead of cannon.

The server is also in belarus. The harmonisation on the Pony means that you may not be hitting as much as you think you are as well. Hell the tracers are not even necessarily where the bullets are most of the time either.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I happend to shoot down a Spit's "Damage Model" of the tail, but not the Spit itself... and got sniped by 119_Bruv shortly after that... meh....

Fox

that 1st one was impressive you can see the shadow of yarbs tail fall out. I do think he had to bail out of that one.

The 2nd he glided back to field and landed.

As for your 190A8 I put ALOT of rounds in your cockpit and from the looks of it got a PK in the end. The A8 is a flying tank cool though.

~S~

There is definitely something going on with the damage, at least vs 109s. I thought it was a bug with the .50 cals but even the spitfires cannons do very little. I shot 109s way more then usual and instead of them going down easy to the spits guns it felt as if I was not shooting them at all. It got to the point where I wasnt sure if it was even possible to shoot them down? I really wish I had a recording of it. I have to get shadowplay working again just in case its happens again. On the same day I watched a 109 shoot a spitfires wing off so Im not sure if it is just the 109 that is buggy but it doesnt seem to effect all aircraft.

Good gravy.

Well I finally gave multiplayer a go in the server tonight. A lot was learned very, other things a little more slow. After my first takeoff I spent about half an hour flying in the wrong direction - All the while checking the score tab to ensure there were in fact other people in the server.

After I got myself straightened out and refueled I managed to find some enemy ground targets and got shot up - Then of course a Mustang appears, first enemy plane I’ve seen, and I get all excited and fly into the hillside.

Next I take off again and can’t get my Anton’s gear up but head back into the mix anyway. Mustang guy must have been amused by this and rather than blowing the snot out of me from behind, buzzes past me and then flies around all but throwing up fly balls for me but I can’t hit him - Too busy stalling, which ended in me finding a fiery parking spot in the woods.

Anyway, it was a fun first learning and I look forward to seeing you guys in the air. Cheers (and I’ll quit writing lengthy nonsense posts now :))

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

I happend to shoot down a Spit's "Damage Model" of the tail, but not the Spit itself... and got sniped by 119_Bruv shortly after that... meh....

Fox

Hah! That Spit is like a lizard - drops his tail in case of danger :)

I can assume that this can also be due to server/net lags. Some time ago I had this funny episode and this was definitely not the DM issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That video is from 2017. So is this a new issue or is it just the old DM still being poor as it always has been?

Also most of the rounds fired in that video almost certainly hit nothing but air.

9./JG27