How do you all think the MIG-15 Performs?

Harley Davidson

I just wanted to ask how everyone thinks the MIG performs in DCS.. It seems like most people are satisfied with the gunnery, handling characteristics and power.

I've flown it myself but not a lot as I'm a huge Sabre fan being Canadian.. I've decided to try and use the 15 a but more so I can go OPFOR when there are too many Sabre pilots.

Are you all satisfied with the performance? anything need changing or tweaking?

It's brilliant, one of the most interesting aircraft in the sim at the moment. It enjoys a few handy advantages over the Sabre at low altitude and the guns are plainly superiour

The gyro sight actually works very well too which is nice and satisfying to use at half decent ranges though of course you're better of engaging at very close range.

The roll rate suffers very badly at high speed and the engine is more than powerful enough to make the thing fly too fast to control even in level flight which is great fun

I've had the module for about 3 years and have flown it a bit. awesome aircraft. I've just been honing my skills with it again.

But, there is just something about the Sabre... it handles like a stiletto compared to the MiG. Both are just tons of fun to fly... Really helps improve dogfighting skills in any aircraft.

I love the mig 15 and imo one of the best done modules in DCS. You have to take your time with her and learn what you can get away with while flying it in combat. I originally bought the sabre first then picked up the mig15 out of curiosity, but after flying her a couple of times I preferred it. It's just better in different ways like the sabre is better in different ways to the mig

I enjoy it. It smokes and burns nicely when I kill it with my "inferior" 50 cals. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

I enjoy it. It smokes and burns nicely when I kill it with my "inferior" 50 cals. ;)

Nice ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I love the MiG-15. My biggest problem is low velocity guns, which makes gunnery difficult (for me at least). I do believe that's accurate, so nothing to complain about. It just takes practice...

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I feel that the MiG is one of the better, more complete simulations available in DCS World with the exception of the damage model which we can hope is updated after the WWII modules get the update.

Yeah agreed. It's just a shame that it and the Sabre aren't more popular

Yeah agreed. It's just a shame that it and the Sabre aren't more popular

If only we had a map for the war in Korea and a complimentary set of aircraft, including carrier operations. Suddenly I think things could light up big time then, but DCS doesn't seem to want to be that kind of combat simulator. That's why I don't do much DCS, because it is not 'joined up' that way. I like the historic aspect of combat simulation flying, so I tend to lean more towards combat flight simulation that enables more historically based scenarios. I love the Mig-15 in DCS :)

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

If only we had a map for the war in Korea and a complimentary set of aircraft, including carrier operations. Suddenly I think things could light up big time then, but DCS doesn't seem to want to be that kind of combat simulator. That's why I don't do much DCS, because it is not 'joined up' that way. I like the historic aspect of combat simulation flying, so I tend to lean more towards combat flight simulation that enables more historically based scenarios. I love the Mig-15 in DCS :)

Happy landings,

Talisman

yeah for sure, even just a map would be nice. :)

Right, and carrier ops is there too. We did all kinds of gymnastics with the code and rendering in CFS3 to make carriers work with an imported Korea map but the terrain type was hard coded so it was always one step away from "reality."

Imagine what could happen if DCS added the map? Corsairs, yes! Skyraiders? Wow! And for The Bridges at Toko Ri fans... the Skyraiders actually hit the bridges. Panthers flew CAP. Sabres already have rockets too ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

I have the 15, the 21 and the F-86. Somehow I prefer the MiGs even though the Sabre is a beautiful plane. The 15 in particular is my favorite, it's just complex enough it's a challenge to learn all the systems, redundancies, emergency procedures, etc. But it's not so complex it's overwhelming. I like the cockpit layout and visibility in the 15 far more than the Sabre and though its handling gets very sluggish at high mach where the Sabre doesn't as much, I find I can fly the MiG a lot more smoothly overall.

• 4 months later...

I got in a tangle in my F5 this evening with an all red Mig-15 and I ended up having to RTB due fuel. The Mig-15 is a very potent aircraft that was clear to me. Decision made, going to give it a try. Any of you guys who want to fly it multiplayer should have a look at the Cold War server it's really really good and all geared up for the older style of jets.

Edited by countvonaltibar

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah it's pretty much perfect. Wish they would update the canopy reflections though as they do seem to be a bit much

Well this is a problem some modules have sadly and ED refuses to change it because they think it's realistic - while it's not- Those reflections are completely static and independant of the lighting. Especially in VR this looks weird, but with TIR as well. I'd very much prefer real reflections instead of this.

Nevertheless flying this thing is awesome. Always keep grinning when I bust some SHORADs or ZSUs. Why waste Mavs when you can just thump them down with pride and a very loud cannon? pinkiepieexcited.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg