My first week with CV1

gelbevierzehn

Hi all,

I received my rift a week ago and just want to share my first impressions.

It's mind-blowing! Huge improvement compared to DK2, which I was able to try one year ago.

The resolution and the screen door effect is better as I expected. The so called "God rays" are now problem and for me only noticeable on the startup screen.

All HUD's are readable and if you can't read a small instrument just lean in.

However, the resolution of far objects is still a bit too low. Not enough for WVR dogfights in my opinion, but this is not a "show stopper" for the rift.

The position tracking works perfect and is much better as my TrackIR.

The field of view could be a bit better but it's is o.k. and for me no problem at all. It's like flying with ski-googles...

The spacious feeling in- and outside the cockpit is fantastic. You feel the "comfort" differences between the various cockpit layouts. If you make a walk (as an ejected pilot) around the F15 you get the same view and size impression of the aircraft as in real!! This is so cool...

Flying through the valleys is so much fun and for the first time in a flight sim, I had the sensation of speed and felt what it's like flying with 400knots low level. (The DR-400 I fly in real life just go to 130kn... :) )

As a demo I placed friends with the rift in the backseat of the L-39 and flew a basic acrobatic display over the airfield with them. They were overwhelmed from that immersion... :)

Conclusion:

This piece of hardware is a MUST for everybody who is in fligthsims. I tried also FSX, P3D and Warthunder with the rift, but DCS offers by far the best immersion of all. Just flying around is so much fun!

My System: i7-6700k, GTX 970, 16GB Ram, SSD, Win10 just basic config no overclocking, HOTAS Warthog

Edited by gelbevierzehn

How is the view and usage of your keyboard and mouse when using it?

It's not possible to read the keyboard, there are no gaps between the rift and my face. I use the thrustmaster warthog HOTAS and move the mouse "blind"...

If there are special keys which are not linked to my HOTAS I use the L1 - L6 buttons on the left side of my skiller pro keyboard. They also can be operated "blind".

By the way, the optional pilot figure in the L-39 and the Huey adds a lot immersion to the flying in VR. We should have that in each model...

Edited by gelbevierzehn