Great carrier landing example - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
DaveRindner

Default Great carrier landing example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ORDe_5I-JE

French C-2A trapping on Charles DeGaulle. AKA French Navy's absurdly tiny small aircraft carrier.

However it shows a sight picture to practice with SU-33. C-2 does US Navy's (and French) standard 3/4 mile from ramp approach.

What are those painted trapezoids with segments. It appears to look like a traditional runway when viewed from distance. However I don't true purpose.
DaveRindner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
Vampyre

The French don't own C-2A Greyhounds. The title of the video says the plane is from VRC-30, the US Navy west coast C-2A squadron.

As for the painted area, all of the carriers I have been on don't have them so I can only hazard a guess as to what they are for. My guess is they are the hazard areas for the drawn out cross deck pennants. They are really hard to see from some angles at night and I don't know how good the deck lighting on this particular ship is but it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote