Pimax 5K or wait

RePhil

I need some advice. My Rift is falling apart and need a replacement but, Rift S not much of an improvement. Index is not available in Canada nor is the Reverb. I can get the Pimax in 2 weeks to a month and per SweViver can use DCS without controllers till they are ready. So, do I wait hope for the Index soon or get the 5K plus?????

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

well, I own a Rift CV1, an Odyssey+ and want(ed) a Reverb.

My O+ is broken, the Reverb is n/a for god-knows-how-long and my old CV1 works like a charm but....the video quality is like it is.

So out of frustration I bought a Rift S yesterday and I tell you, that IS "much of an improvement" over the CV1. Given the rather low price of the Rift S and the really good tracking, I think it's a very good VR set. Even if I get a Reverb for DCS, I surely will keep the Rift S for room scale or games where tracking matters.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

My O+ is broken, the Reverb is n/a for god-knows-how-long and my old CV1 works like a charm but....the video quality is like it is.

So out of frustration I bought a Rift S yesterday and I tell you, that IS "much of an improvement" over the CV1. Given the rather low price of the Rift S and the really good tracking, I think it's a very good VR set. Even if I get a Reverb for DCS, I surely will keep the Rift S for room scale or games where tracking matters.

I had the S to try for 2 weeks I did not find it enough of an improvement to keep. That being said if Pimax is not a good option and Reverb and Index cant be got in Canada that is were I will go. Just need those with Pimax to say if it is or not

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Check out mrtv's livestream on youtube . He prefers index to pimax hands down . Perhaps you should wait-as i am .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I am with you there, I was very pleasantly surprised with my Rift S, way better than the CV1 IMHO. Latest PTC 1.39 software update has really improved the controller tracking for the Rift S also, especially holding them close to face. Nice for those that also enjoy other Oculus Touch games.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm hanging in till I have a chance to try any or all new sets coming out. I'm equally fired up to get new controllers... similar to Leap Motion hand sensors or gloves... anything that precisely show my hands position in VR or at least one hand ;)

• 1 month later...

I was a CV1 user and got a Pimax 5K XR. Ive tried the 5K + too and can tell you the XR is a much better headset. That said, whilst the wide FOV, better SDE and fantastic color reproduction, including proper blacks are great, the software for it is pretty poor and the after sales service is shocking.

If you’re technical, and can live with tweaking and fiddling with config files to make it work, and you have the horsepower to drive it, go for it, you’ll love it. If you’re somebody who just wants to plug and play and have your VR just work, look elsewhere...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rift S is currently the best possible setup when you consider that what the HMD offers in the optical quality, controllers, easy to use, tracking (and all other games) and then what you need from your PC to run the games for it.

Sure anyone can go to the latest and greatest HMD they can find, but you don't pay just for the HMD, you need to buy a new PC and very likely even then wait years until you can get the performance out from the PC to run the HMD at the quality level where you really enjoy from them.

That is what Oculus really made big in the Rift S, they improved things that needed improvements (clarity), setup (easy to use) and then offered it for low price and lower PC hardware requirements to run VR games in great.

The only thing I can't forgive for Oculus really is the audio. I would be greatly fine by their decision to have that speaker system, if they would have at least opted to have compatibility to CV1 with by having a headphone connection slot. So you could buy those headphones or remove them from CV1 and attach to Rift S and get excellent audio!

BUT NO!

Or at least offer the connector so Rift S user can buy the earphones from Oculus and connect those! but NO!

The next thing that Oculus needs to do, is to widen the FOV. Not vertically but horizontally. at least 30-40 degree more!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Audio is not a show stopper on the S.

Quality ear buds (I attached semi-permanently) work just fine and for me is actually easier to use than the CV1 ill fitting built-in ear speakers.

I would not avoid the S just because of the audio.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10