Kneeboard map needs some features... - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #21
MikeMikeJuliet

I guess the answer to text size is to keep as few lines of text as possible on the map itself, and add more info to a separate boxed section with additional info for every turnpoint. Another way might be to make the map NOT to scale, because you usually don't have a need for the long line between waypoints, just the waypoint itself.

That would require a lot of positioning of the map elements though, no likely not ideal.
MikeMikeJuliet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #22
MikeMikeJuliet

Another thing. If you want to shorten the text you have on the route legs and waypoints, try the following:

On ETA only write minutes and seconds as long as the time is on the same hour. give the start time only in the full format. Waypoint names can be set aside to a separate text area on the kneeboard. When you need to fly an altitude, write QNH, if you fly on flight leves, write STD (STanDard, not the other kind of std...), and with radar altimiter write AGL (Above Ground Level).

Leave out the return direction, it takes unnecessary space, and every pilot should be able to derive the direction in their head if need be.

Meters on the altitudes is ok as it is, if you show feet on that you can abbreviate thousands of feet with "kft" (kilo-feet). So 1000ft =1kft. If you want, the same thing works ok with km too if you need to shorten that.

Altitude and speed could be written separately from the map in my opinion. That way only direction and time would show on the map, and the rest on a footnote textfiekd below the picture.

Would that work?
MikeMikeJuliet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #23
Bogey Jammer

Yeah, I see there is room for customization. I can implement all of your suggestions (except keyboard commands), and let the user to choose what and how it is displayed. This way it will be possible to show different pages generated by instances of the same script but with different formatting, both graphical and table. That would solve the problem of annotation spam by diluting them.
МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 F-14A F/A-18 Mirage III F-4E A6M2 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Running DCS 1.5.8 until costs of hardware required to run 2.5 smoothly in VR mode drop to a reasonable level.

Last edited by Bogey Jammer; 09-26-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Bogey Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #24
Bogey Jammer

I'm almost ready to release my flight plan page. But if you still want to discuss about it, there is the dedicated thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175186

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 F-14A F/A-18 Mirage III F-4E A6M2 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Running DCS 1.5.8 until costs of hardware required to run 2.5 smoothly in VR mode drop to a reasonable level.
Bogey Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #25
ebabil

i don't use kneeboard too much since it is not usable for me. i have some wishes and if those are already in it please let me know:

1- Toggle kneeboard to screen, not forcing to push and hold K key
2- Mouse click to turn next/previous pages
3- Index page with mouse click ability to go directly related page
4- See the briefing in kneeboard
5- Zoom in out the pages
Ultimate Argument | Oilfield | Argo | Border

Youtube
ebabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #26
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabil View Post
i don't use kneeboard too much since it is not usable for me. i have some wishes and if those are already in it please let me know:

RShift+K if I remember correct. Search for "Toggle Kneeboard" in controls
Quote:
nice Idea, maybe mousewheel support to quickly scroll through pages?
Quote:
Maybe an index row at the side?
Quote:
Great idea, much more immersive, may be with different pages for situation, task, weather, and threats.
[/QUOTE]
5- Zoom in out the pages[/QUOTE]
Nice. In addition maybe an option to set the "base" size of the kneeboard to personal preference?

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #27
firmek

Ad 1. It already works this way. By default RShift+K (IIRC)
Ad 2. Would be nice to have
Ad 3. There is already a functionality to bookmark and quick access specific pages. I don't recall the combination right now, I've modified my settings to use LAlt+(1...9). Looks like a core feature but it's not supported by all of the modules.
Ad 4. Would be nice to have. Kneeboard builder (mod) can do that.
Ad 5. Wouldn't hurt but frankly speaking if the page can't be read without zooming-in, it's probably not formatted in a correct way.

EDIT: Snipped by Shagrat
F/A-18, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all
firmek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #28
grunf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabil View Post

5- Zoom in out the pages
All good ideas (some already there, as mentioned above).

Kneeboard briefing page would be awesome!
grunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #29
watermanpc

Another thing I think would really rock in the kneeboard would be the ability to WRITE on it...think about it, most pilots use pens (there are several A-10C videos where you can actually see them writing using their pens, which are attached to their gloves) so you could make anotations on maps, cross out waypoints you already flown, count enemies down, radio channels/freq, or just painting if bored

I think it would be a great and REALISTIC addition.

Take a look at my MODS here
watermanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #30
Pikey

That. I need a crayon to write on the inside of my canopy, desperately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanpc View Post
Another thing I think would really rock in the kneeboard would be the ability to WRITE on it...think about it, most pilots use pens (there are several A-10C videos where you can actually see them writing using their pens, which are attached to their gloves) so you could make anotations on maps, cross out waypoints you already flown, count enemies down, radio channels/freq, or just painting if bored

I think it would be a great and REALISTIC addition.

Tags
kneeboard, map, navigation, vmc