Turbulence effects

Kula66

Are we likely to see more turbulence effects from external sources interacting with the a/c, ie.

* the infamous ever changing 'burble' on carrier-landing - significant feature of carrier approaches

* wake turbulence behind tankers

* the movement of the AAR basket as the a/c gets close

* the effect of an AAM leaving a pylon and the exhaust gases passing over the wing

etc

I know this will take lots of CPU, but most of us have a couple of cores sitting practically idle while DCS is running :)

Yup, I would love that as well :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 11 months later...

I've read the latest news and they say that there is wake turbulence in the Open Beta: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2019-02-01_LunarSale/.

There's a video, too in Wags' channel:

I have the stable version; I'm looking forward to trying it.

Planes: FC3, Spitfire, Harrier, F-14, F-18, MiG-21, Edge 540 - Helicopters: UH-1H, Mi-8 - Environments: Persian Gulf, Supercarrier

PC specs in the spoiler

I run DCS 2.7 using:

MasterWatt 550 semi-fanless and semi-modular, core i7-3770 (4 cores @ 3.8 GHz) with 8 GB DDR3, GTX1050 Ti (768 cores @ 1.8 GHz) with 4 GB GDDR5, 5.1 sound card, 240 GB SSD, Windows 8.1T.16000M FCS Flight Pack (i. e. stick+throttle+rudder pedals), opentrack head trakcer

I know this will take lots of CPU, but most of us have a couple of cores sitting practically idle while DCS is running :)

The problem as I understand it there is you can't use those cores to do any of what you want. DCS is time resolved, i.e. things have to happen in order. Its why its mainly single threaded, and flight sims are hard to get parallelized for those reasons. If I understand it correctly the Vulkan API can help with offloading graphics if/when they implement it. But probably not things like flight physics/ai etc.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

PS I'd like to see bumpy air as well. Every time I fly I feel like I'm flying through the "stillest air "in the world"" And I've flown "real" planes. Give me a tick box for "god damnit its bumpy up here today".

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

PS I'd like to see bumpy air as well. Every time I fly I feel like I'm flying through the "stillest air "in the world"" And I've flown "real" planes. Give me a tick box for "god damnit its bumpy up here today".

You do know you can set up wing breaking levels of turbulence in the mission weather options in the mission editor right? 50 knots of wind and turbulence set to 200 and then try flying at low level over ground objects and you’ll be bouncing around all over the place. My missions usually have wind of around 15 knots at 1500ft or whatever the option is and a turbulence of around 50-60, gives you a nice little bounce around in the F-18 to make things feel more dynamic.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

You do know you can set up wing breaking levels of turbulence in the mission weather options in the mission editor right? 50 knots of wind and turbulence set to 200 and then try flying at low level over ground objects and you’ll be bouncing around all over the place. My missions usually have wind of around 15 knots at 1500ft or whatever the option is and a turbulence of around 50-60, gives you a nice little bounce around in the F-18 to make things feel more dynamic.

Didnt know that. My DCS mission editor skills are rudimentary and i havent flown many of the uncluded missions that have any weather.

Didnt know that. My DCS mission editor skills are rudimentary and i havent flown many of the uncluded missions that have any weather.

Perfect time to learn then!

Here’s a little tutorial video the first few mins should explain how to place an aircraft at whatever airbase you want, where he sets it to “takeoff from ramp” you can also set it to “takeoff from runway” which is good if you want a mission where you’re playing with wind effects and might want to go back to the mission editor and try things. On the left hand toolbar near the top you should see an icon that looks like a sun and a cloud. Clicking on that will open the time of day, weather and wind editing screen where you can program in as much nastiness as you want ;).

Remember to set your aircraft to Client or Player under their Skill setting otherwise they will be AI controlled. Also the green tick icon on the left is fly, so you can test fly the mission straight from the mission editor. No need to save and back out. Let me know how you get on!

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I dont like new turbolence effects that ED plans to implement. Just for example A-A refueling is extemely hard enought now. With new turbolence effect, its gonna be almost impossible.

Have you already tried it with turbulence? no? So how can you tell it will be nearly impossible.

Have you already tried it with turbulence? no? So how can you tell it will be nearly impossible.

You are right, i havent tried yet, it is not implement ATM. But I saw mr. Wags video and I guess if that effect will implement AA refueling is gonna be impossible IMO.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

You are right, i havent tried yet, it is not implement ATM. But I saw mr. Wags video and I guess if that effect will implement AA refueling is gonna be impossible IMO.

Nope. Two things:

1) Don't approach directly behind it to avoid turbulences

2) practice

If you’re experiencing the wake turbulence behind the tanker then you are in the WRONG PLACE. Durring a proper approach to the tanker from below the vorticies then you shouldn’t have an issue.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

So you are saying that you would rather have less realism, its a sim. Its about time we are getting tubrulace caused by aircraft. Hope we will also jet prop/jet/rotor wash as well!

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I dont like new turbolence effects that ED plans to implement. Just for example A-A refueling is extemely hard enought now. With new turbolence effect, its gonna be almost impossible.

How many threads are you going to post this in? We get it, AAR is extremely hard for you. It’s hard for everybody at first. If you spent more time practicing and less time griping on the forums you’d get better at it.

The wake turbulence isn’t going to make it harder because you shouldn’t be flying in the wake turbulence while performing AAR. If you’re doing it right you shouldn’t even know it’s there. But you already don’t like it? Give me a break.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

How many threads are you going to post this in? We get it, AAR is extremely hard for you. It’s hard for everybody at first. If you spent more time practicing and less time griping on the forums you’d get better at it.

The wake turbulence isn’t going to make it harder because you shouldn’t be flying in the wake turbulence while performing AAR. If you’re doing it right you shouldn’t even know it’s there. But you already don’t like it? Give me a break.

:lol: LOL calm down man. What I did to you? Its just my opinion. Cant I have an opinion? I wish you all the best and happy flying :)

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

• 2 months later...

I think they've changed it a bit recently. Could be it's just me, but I think I'm getting bounced around more now in a turbulent weather, at least near the ground. Have you guys noticed anything?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I think they've changed it a bit recently. Could be it's just me, but I think I'm getting bounced around more now in a turbulent weather, at least near the ground. Have you guys noticed anything?

Yea, I think near the ground it happens, but everywhere else it seems always smooth.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo