How do I display training mission subtitles?

Shadoware

I bought F-16 recently and when I started the tutorials there's no subtitles in the screen. Subtitle options is marked in the settings though.

Subtitles are very important to those like me that dont have complete domain of the language and also to remember the instructions.

************************************** SOLVED ************************************

Edited by Shadoware
Problem solved

• 2 weeks later...
I bought F-16 recently and when I started the tutorials there's no subtitles in the screen. Subtitle options is marked in the settings though.

The Tutorials work on my PC, so we can rule out a bug on the missions themselves .. maybe you have a Mod that is interfering? perhaps VAICOM?

9abTwJs.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Only time I added something or mod was some skins to M2000C but in that moment (maybe a year ago), I had no problem. Some weeks ago I bought F16 and it was the first time this issue happened.

Please, attach your dcs.log file to see if we can get more clues about your problem. It's at /saved games/dcs/logs/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

i looked at log. i see that you have a spanish install of Windows. not sure if that has anything to do with it. maybe somehow the subtitles do not work because of that.

found error on line 9 "2020-06-21 02:46:54.097 ERROR Lua::Config: load error Config/main.cfg:[string "C:\Users\Sergio\Saved Games\DCS\Config/autoexec.cfg"]:1: unexpected symbol near 'ï'."

also found on line 528 "2020-06-21 03:36:48.317 ERROR Lua::Config: Call error onSimulationStart:[string "./Scripts/UI/gameMessages.lua"]:100: attempt to index a function value"

seems there are many LUA errors in the log. maybe do a repair of install. file mismatches? good luck.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I realized that radio is not working too.

I thought the radio was not implemented yet but now I saw a video and it is.

The option easy communications is enable but I cant use radio to ATC and anything.

Your log has a lot of error regarding the Radio Communications, like this:

2020-06-21 02:50:55.316 ERROR   WRADIO: CommandDialogsPanel: RadioCommandDialogsPanel.initialize error [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandMenu.lua"]:46: attempt to index a function value
stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandMenu.lua"]:46: in function 'getFontScale'
   [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandMenu.lua"]:56: in function 'getMenuWidth'
   [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandDialogsPanel.lua"]:175: in function 'initialize'
   [string "Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/RadioCommandDialogsPanel.lua"]:1481: in function <[string "Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/RadioCommandDialogsPanel.lua"]:1379>

I can't identify which Mod or Script may have leaved this on your Configuration. I would run a DCS_Updater Repair to confirm that the program folder is correct. If the problem persists, then I would rename the C:\Users\Sergio\Saved Games\DCS folder … for example to DCS.bak and then DCS Will créate a default saved games folder with default configs. You can recover your control bindings by copying the /Config folder from your DCS.bak onto this new /DCS folder.

Your log has a lot of error regarding the Radio Communications, like this:

2020-06-21 02:50:55.316 ERROR   WRADIO: CommandDialogsPanel: RadioCommandDialogsPanel.initialize error [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandMenu.lua"]:46: attempt to index a function value
stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandMenu.lua"]:46: in function 'getFontScale'
   [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandMenu.lua"]:56: in function 'getMenuWidth'
   [string "./Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/CommandDialogsPanel.lua"]:175: in function 'initialize'
   [string "Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/RadioCommandDialogsPanel.lua"]:1481: in function <[string "Scripts/UI/RadioCommandDialogPanel/RadioCommandDialogsPanel.lua"]:1379>

I can't identify which Mod or Script may have leaved this on your Configuration. I would run a DCS_Updater Repair to confirm that the program folder is correct. If the problem persists, then I would rename the C:\Users\Sergio\Saved Games\DCS folder … for example to DCS.bak and then DCS Will créate a default saved games folder with default configs. You can recover your control bindings by copying the /Config folder from your DCS.bak onto this new /DCS folder.

My DCS is in Steam. This DCS_Updater works with Steam?

I already check for file integrity in Steam but it didn'tt find any problem.

Update:

I redownload the F16 module - It didnt work;

I renamed \Saved Games\DCS folder - It didnt work.

Edited by Shadoware

I unistalled the DCS complerely and reinstalled.

Everything returned working correctly but when I replace the config folder inside "Saved games\DCS" and the bug returned! Then I deleted the "saved games\DCS" folder, the game recreated it and it returned working again.

Strange that when I only deleted saved games\DCS folder it didnt solve the problem because there were just two files different in the config folder: An autoexec.cfg file which was limiting the fps (I dont remember when I put it there but it didn't cause problems before) and the lack of the BdaPosition.lua file.

I think there may have been other problems with the installation when the game updated too.

Thanks for all help!

Edited by Shadoware

• 1 month later...