I'm Afraid To Buy The FW 190 Dora

BuzzU

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I love the Dora, I don't know how people can say it's a bore! But ... then I really like BnZ style, and the Dora is definitely the best plane for that in DCS. Boom and zoom definitely requires patience, and it's a thinking person's game .. it doesn't have the adrenaline fuelled yank-and-bank thrills of the Spitfire, but it can be very satisfying.

I can see them and identify them pretty good..using Zoom View.. I don't know what you'd expect.. it's harder in real life to spot a plane. In DCS you can always enable the labels if you're blind.. Have fun!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I can see them and identify them pretty good..using Zoom View.. I don't know what you'd expect.. it's harder in real life to spot a plane. In DCS you can always enable the labels if you're blind.. Have fun!

A lot depends on size of the monitor and resolution. Just compare to seeing the planes in IL2. You can also read endless complaints from members of this forum.

As a matter of fact I am completely blind in one eye and only have 20/40 in the other. At 74 I also have a slight cataract.

Take your insults and put them where the sun doesn't shine. Let me know if you need that explained to you too.

Buzz

I wasn't insulting anyone.. But you cannot complain about DCS.. or compare it to arcade games..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I wasn't insulting anyone.. But you cannot complain about DCS.. or compare it to arcade games..

You can't compare DCS to real world either. Sorry but its still a simulation. A pretty good one, but one with some serious shortcomings. One of which is visibility. It doesn't affect everyone, because on a certain combination of hardware it's not that much of an issue, but it still affects lots of people. Just because you're not having a problem, doesn't mean one doesnt exist.

You claim that it's harder to spot a plane in real life? Really? So a real pilot has to look through a clear 22-23 inch screen, in front of his face, while rotating his head ever so slightly, and keeping his eyes glued to the center of the screen so he can see out of his cockpit? A screen that by the way doesn't even cover a quarter of his entire vision?

Unlike in the real world, the a PC monitor can't simulate what a real pilot would be seeing. That's why you have an aid like zoom. It's pretty much useless if you can't spot the planes from a distance anyway, since at full zoom, with TrackIR, the view shifts around so much, you have to pause track IR and hope you're looking in the right direction. And that's not even going into color, monitor, size, resolution, rendering problems etc.

A proper sim, needs to address this issue, by using aids which should be enabled by default for everyone and yet still not feel like cheats. (Which Labels most definitely, are).

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You can't compare DCS to real world either. Sorry but its still a simulation. A pretty good one, but one with some serious shortcomings. One of which is visibility. It doesn't affect everyone, because on a certain combination of hardware it's not that much of an issue, but it still affects lots of people. Just because you're not having a problem, doesn't mean one doesnt exist.

You claim that it's harder to spot a plane in real life? Really? So real a pilot has to look through a clear 22-23 inch screen, in front of his face, while rotating his head ever so slightly, and keeping his eyes glued to the center of the screen so he can see out of his cockpit? A screen that by the way doesn't even cover a quarter of his entire vision?

Unlike in the real world, the a PC monitor can't simulate what a real pilot would be seeing. That's why you have an aid like zoom. It's pretty much useless if you can't spot the planes from a distance anyway, since at full zoom, with TrackIR, the view shifts around so much, you have to pause track IR and hope you're looking in the right direction. And that's not even going into color, monitor, size, resolution, rendering problems etc.

A proper sim, needs to address this issue, by using aids which should be enabled by default for everyone and yet still not feel like cheats. (Which Labels most definitely, are).

Please tell me how you can spot a 10m object from 50 km (the distance between Anapa and Novo) in real life.. because I can easily spot them in DCS.

What are you complaining about people? Do you want DCS to be Il2, just because you are used to that game??

• Like 1

Specs:

Settings:

Amazingme: Can you please post your monitor make and specs? Also, do you have TrackIR?

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Please tell me how you can spot a 10m object from 50 km (the distance between Anapa and Novo) in real life.. because I can easily spot them in DCS.

What are you complaining about people? Do you want DCS to be Il2, just because you are used to that game??

Not sure why you think IL2 is arcade and why DCS is right and IL2 is wrong. How about the latest version of Falcon 4.0? Is that arcade too? I see planes better in it.

Let me guess. You're young with 20-20 vision and have a big monitor? Am I close?

In case you don't realize it's a problem. Here's just one example.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187012

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

As a test I started up an intercept mission to see how soon I could spot targets. To date I've done very little A/A combat in DCS so we could call this a beginners perspective. Using F-10 map to help point me in right direction I flew towards enemies ( mid-size cargo planes) and each time I could first spot plane at just under 8 miles. Not saying they just popped up or that I couldn't see them any farther but casually playing and scanning around this was the result. I've heard IRL 8-10 miles is about as far as you can see another plane so to me this doesn't seem to bad.

I have a 27" 2K monitor only.

Two things wrong with your test. You knew where they were by using F10. You also used a big plane.

Try it again with no F10 view and a 109 as the plane you're looking for. Just one 109.

Seeing the plane when you know where it is and finding it are two different things. To be realistic to what were talking about. Make the 109 lower than you.

Buzz

I'm calling BS on that one. At this distance DCS doesn't even render buildings and ships, let alone any aircraft units (yes, tested with "extreme" visibility setting). It was possible a couple of patches ago with old scaling imposter functionality, but not nowadays and not without a dot-labels mod.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

As a test I started up an intercept mission to see how soon I could spot targets. To date I've done very little A/A combat in DCS so we could call this a beginners perspective. Using F-10 map to help point me in right direction I flew towards enemies ( mid-size cargo planes) and each time I could first spot plane at just under 8 miles. Not saying they just popped up or that I couldn't see them any farther but casually playing and scanning around this was the result. I've heard IRL 8-10 miles is about as far as you can see another plane so to me this doesn't seem to bad.

I have a 27" 2K monitor only.

Like BuzzU said, two things, though I'd like to add a third:

1st: You knew where to look for them. Most of us fly online, or missions where you can't use the F10 map. Might as well turn on cheats.

2nd: You used cargo planes. Try it with high speed fighters (even large ones), or WWII fighter planes

3rd: A high quality 2k (1440p) monitor at 27" or higher, 'should' allow for somewhat better spotting ability.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Can you spot it?

I'm calling BS on that one. At this distance DCS doesn't even render buildings and ships, let alone any aircraft units (yes, tested with "extreme" visibility setting). It was possible a couple of patches ago with old scaling imposter functionality, but not nowadays and not without a dot-labels mod.

Can you spot it?

Specs:

Settings:

Doing a second test, matching criteria laid out I tried a few flights at 5 -10,000 feet higher than a 109. Even knowing it was heading towards me but off to the right I couldn't spot it on any of my 3 tests.

This hasn't turned me from fan boy to skeptic since I think finding one lone plane at different altitude and unknown location isn't going to be easy.

However I certainly agree that having options like model enlargement are a good thing. I think one thing that could help would be seeing a glimmer or reflection on a plane. I would think IRL that would be something you would see.

However I certainly agree that having options like model enlargement are a good thing. I think one thing that could help would be seeing a glimmer or reflection on a plane. I would think IRL that would be something you would see.

That's a totally different story. I couldn't agree more that the new lighting effects will improve the spotting to some degree, but those imposters were.. horrific, at least, or any 'visual add' of this sort, as a matter of fact. That's the reason they were taken off and, hopefully, never to be seen again. Nowadays, some servers are using a single dot/pixel that's seen within some range if you enabled the labels. But that kills the element of surprise and the gameplay.. if you'd asked me.

Specs:

Settings:

back to the topic

Buy it. learn to fly it. you wont be sorry. it likes the rudder. burn aft fuel first. It's like a pony with a big block, and an awesome weapons package.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just an aside on those that say think that model enlargement is a bit of a cheat, then please note that the A400M sim (real world full motion, full size mil sim) uses model enlargement to overcome screen resolution problems, and those screens using projectors are a fair bit larger than our monitors.

And yes, buy the Dora for sure. It's frustrating at first, but then things just click.

but those imposters were.. horrific, at least, or any 'visual add' of this sort, as a matter of fact.

Personally I agree that the impostors were not well implemented. However, I am a fan of "spotting aids" such as the smart scaling in Falcon 4 (which is model enlargement at longer ranges), because ...

please note that the A400M sim (real world full motion, full size mil sim) uses model enlargement to overcome screen resolution problems

It's just necessary IMO. The fact that the two most popular DCS WWII servers (Burning Skies and ACG) both have spotting aids tells you a lot about what makes for a compelling experience.

But back to the topic at hand ...

And yes, buy the Dora for sure. It's frustrating at first, but then things just click.

+1 It's a really fun aircraft, especially if you like BnZ.

Ha, this it the thread I forgot about, that went completely off topic with visibility issues :D.

Can you spot it?

No, of course not, despite playing it a couple of times on 1200p monitor. But youtube compression at 1080p degrades image quality anyway, so I wouldn't even If I wanted.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You're right.. unfortunately. But definitely visible in the original vid.

Specs:

Settings:

Afaik BuzzU sold his TM-HOTAS and Pedals and went back to Car Racing Sims.

You may close this one

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X