Normandy Prep - Taxiing tail draggers

Headwarp

Today I was on a ww2 dogfight server taxiing off of the runway and considering a place to park without stopping in someone's spawn point... some other guy starts his engine, throttles up and plows straight ahead into me. Says "I couldn't see you" and proceeds to call my taxiing crazy.

I'm not going to name names.. but I do hope he reads this. You're right.. you couldn't see me. But that's not my fault, as ww2 aircraft mostly being taildraggers offer perfect visibility from the side when on the ground. Taildraggers do not have the benefit of taxiing in a straight line due to the lack of forward visibility.

So, with a little work from the toebrakes you can avoid ever running into someone again. Instead, we go from side to side down the taxi way, looking left if the plane is going right, and looking right as the plane goes left. Doing so you can always see what's ahead of you on the taxi way. Even pulling out of your parking spot, you should probably turn a bit to view what's ahead of you... that way, people like coming off of a runway after a landing and know how to taxi in a way that we can clearly see you, don't have to worry about you throttling up into me and attempting to blame it on me when I'm turning left on to the taxi way, suddenly throttling up in fear hoping to get out of the way of you blindly plowing forward in to the nether. With an unlocked tail wheel you can even learn to turn in extremely tight spaces without hitting walls or moving far from where you started.

I'm no expert by any means.. I might even flub a take off.. but..I can at least try to explain how to taxi properly. My experience led me to MS Paint.. so there's always something to point that guy who can't see what's ahead of him to.

I made a typo in my picture. You'll see it.. "You need forward momentum"

Here's a video I just made attempting to demonstrate the concept. I just threw it together without any kind of script or rehearsal so pardon my pauses for thought.

TailDragTaxi.thumb.jpg.02b8f13464ac04370aeedf4c2a4cf750.jpg

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.