How much is the MI-8 helping? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Zimmerdylan

Reputation power: 12
Zimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinozherous View Post
Hey pilots!

I can fly the KA50 very well and love it, but I am not that good with the huey and dont like it that much...
I know I am able to fly the ka50 because of the koaxial rotor and the Autopilot. The MI8 also has a nice Autopilot, is it more stable as the huey? For example with heading hold and so on?

Thanks!

It's always so interesting for me to see the differences between people's perceptions of things.
I personally love the Huey much more than the Mi8. I don't really like the way the Mi8 handles all that much. Some guys call me crazy for this. To me, the Huey is a much easier chopper to fly. I cannot see what Mi8 enthusiasts see in that chopper. Quite honestly, I prefer the Gazelle to the Mi8.
I'm not particularly a fan of the weapons systems in the Mi8. Due to my lack of practice with them I can never really do anything effective in combat. And because I don't really bother with them I get easily confused by having to go between pods, pylons, and all of that stuff.
I do fly the Mi8 from time to time but I certainly prefer the Huey over it. And again, it's a preference thing. It has nothing to do with the module itself.
It's funny that what one guy finds great and comfortable, another person finds annoying or uncomfortable. And neither is right or wrong. They just see it from a different angle. It's just how we are put together.
That's why I never respond in those "What should I buy" threads. Who am I to say what a total stranger will like or dislike. As it always gets clearly illustrated here in the forums, no two people are alike.
Zimmerdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
Pocket Sized+
Posting Rights Revoked

Reputation power: 0
Pocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nicePocket Sized is just really nice

Adding to what Zimmer said, I personally find the huey to be mushy, unresponsive, and underpowered. The Ka-50 is a high tech rocket ship, but it has very bad visibility and flies too twitchy for my taste.

Is the Mi-8 objectively better than any other chopper? No. But whenever I get in the cockpit, I feel very... comfortable, if that makes any sense. It's like being back in my own house after spending a week on vacation. It's cluttered and it's ugly, but it's home.
Pocket Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Dino Might

Reputation power: 3
Dino Might is on a distinguished road

Huey - 60s Corvette. It can handle fairly well, not the fastest around, but you can manhandle it, drift it around, and have a lot of fun.

Mi-8 - Cadillac. It's big, carries a lot of inertia, feels very smooth and comfy, good for longer trips, not the most nimble, but has good power and is quite luxurious. My current favorite helo of them all.

Gazelle - Go Kart w/ a motorcycle engine. Very touchy on the controls, doesn't go crazy fast, but extremely nimble. You can get in a lot of trouble horsing around with it, and it's tiny.

Ka-50 - Floating A-10C. Lots of systems to learn, more focus on fighting than flying with the autopilot controls. Carries a ton of boom boom, but not a lot of thrilling cyclic work.

My answer: Get them all
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
Rogue Trooper

Reputation power: 8
Rogue Trooper is a jewel in the roughRogue Trooper is a jewel in the roughRogue Trooper is a jewel in the roughRogue Trooper is a jewel in the roughRogue Trooper is a jewel in the roughRogue Trooper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerdylan View Post
It's always so interesting for me to see the differences between people's perceptions of things.
I personally love the Huey much more than the Mi8. I don't really like the way the Mi8 handles all that much. Some guys call me crazy for this. To me, the Huey is a much easier chopper to fly. I cannot see what Mi8 enthusiasts see in that chopper. Quite honestly, I prefer the Gazelle to the Mi8.
I'm not particularly a fan of the weapons systems in the Mi8. Due to my lack of practice with them I can never really do anything effective in combat. And because I don't really bother with them I get easily confused by having to go between pods, pylons, and all of that stuff.
I do fly the Mi8 from time to time but I certainly prefer the Huey over it. And again, it's a preference thing. It has nothing to do with the module itself.
It's funny that what one guy finds great and comfortable, another person finds annoying or uncomfortable. And neither is right or wrong. They just see it from a different angle. It's just how we are put together.
That's why I never respond in those "What should I buy" threads. Who am I to say what a total stranger will like or dislike. As it always gets clearly illustrated here in the forums, no two people are alike.

I agree, it is a preference thing and whilst I am the opposite to you, I think it depends on what you value as an individual.
When the Hip came out I really thought: why? Why? What do I need a Hip for?

I was having great fun with the Huey and I had the awesome KA-50 for true war work. But from the very moment I sat in the pit of the MI-8 I loved her. I do not know why, I just loved sitting there using Track IR to scan up down and across that roomy pit. It took me a while to spool her up and then I finally flew her and she was just great from day one of release.
Then the systems started to be learnt, lots of switches for a lot of basic fundamental kit that when used right got you to whole load of places..... boy was she loaded with kit.

To me, the MI-8 is just a damn good helicopter at what she does.... you wanna get a whole hunk a junk somewhere? Then I can lift it and I can navigate anywhere within 200 - 500 metres.
The MI-8 has no beauty but without doubt she is the machine that gets it done!
I think that was the appeal of the MI-8 for me from the get go, as an engineer, it was simply the tool that ticked far more boxes than the Huey. Eventually it left the Huey in the dirt.

For fun I got the Gazelle and KA-50, for heavy lift and superb weapons delivery I got the MI-8.

I really gotta wonder what DCS will learn me next when it comes to the next chopper that I just don't want!
I really am looking forward to it!

Last edited by Rogue Trooper; 05-21-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #15
Quadg

Reputation power: 1
Quadg will become famous soon enoughQuadg will become famous soon enough

OP if the Huey frustrates you then you need to tame her.

not with autopilot.

but by getting in her 5 times a day and taking her to heaven and back.

i promise you, a few weeks of that and your relationship will improve.