The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

8 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Possible bug? I cannot click on the Marianas button to install module, with OB Server selected. I have to use "Select/Unselect All" button to select everything and unselect all but the Marianas to have it installed.

Log?

Also What Version is your DCS?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

2 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Log?

Also What Version is your DCS?

I know why now, the OB server is not up to date.  Sorry.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

So after installing this and using it to toggle between Oculus and SteamVR mode, I can't for the life of me get the game to launch in Oculus mode anymore... it either launches in 2D, or SteamVR mode.

How do I completely uninstall this and undo everything it did to my system? I've already done a full repair of DCS files, and that didn't work, so I'm stumped. What does this actually do when you pick one renderer or the other? Does it change files in some folder outside of DCS?

6 hours ago, V8O said:

So after installing this and using it to toggle between Oculus and SteamVR mode, I can't for the life of me get the game to launch in Oculus mode anymore... it either launches in 2D, or SteamVR mode.

How do I completely uninstall this and undo everything it did to my system? I've already done a full repair of DCS files, and that didn't work, so I'm stumped. What does this actually do when you pick one renderer or the other? Does it change files in some folder outside of DCS?

This app does not modify any settings, it merely utilizes command line launch parameters for DCS World.

DCS World itself has parameters that change, and those are in the /Users/UserName/Saved Games/DCS/Config/Options.lua, However there is no "Oculus or SteamVR" Setting.

The Oculus/SteamVR Switch in the App only applies to Launching with VR Mode ON Button, VR Mode Off forces 2D, and the Normal Launch Button will launch DCS without command line variables.

All 3 Buttons simply launch DCS w/ command line variables and does not touch DCS Files.

Understand how the app works before you blame it for unrelated symptoms.

If it's still launching w/ SteamVR, then the Dropdown menu/switch in the app is still set to SteamVR, change it back to oculus.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Another possible stupid issue: my OB server has 2 maps I do not have license with. How can I uninstall them? I choose the "+" sign next to the map, choose uninstall but nothing happens.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

8 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

This app does not modify any settings, it merely utilizes command line launch parameters for DCS World.

Which command line parameters are those and where in the app are they documented? I'm more than happy to "understand how the app works" if the means to do so are provided. All I could find is "these settings only affect the VR ON button", which doesn't tell me what is actually being done by the app.

I meant no offense by asking "what does the app do so I can undo it". I didn't ask this because I want to "blame" the app or whatever - to me it's just some app, I don't care. But I figured you might, since it's your app...? Is someone describing a problem they've encountered after running your app (coincidentally or not) not something you want to hear about?

Anyway, I'm still going to describe what happened to me, so that future people perhaps-coincidentally affected by the same issue can work it out. If you at any point think this has anything to do with your app, I'm happy to provide details, videos, logs, whatever, as the issue is still ongoing and I've now found a (to me, nonsensical) workaround. If you don't want to hear any of it because you're certain that it's just sheer coincidence, just ignore me. My intention here at this stage is to be constructive and to help others who may run into the same issue, not to attribute blame.

So, I installed the updater and used it to run DCS (standalone) in SteamVR mode. I did that as explained in the app, i.e. using the VR ON button with the dropdown in the settings page set to SteamVR. Everything worked as expected, i.e. DCS launched in SteamVR mode instead of Oculus. I made no other changes to my system as far as I can tell - no changes to Oculus settings, SteamVR settings, DCS in-game settings, etc. Had a perfectly working DCS standalone install up to that point, running in Oculus mode on a daily basis with no issues.

After that, I'm done with my little SteamVR experiment, so I don't need the app anymore. I shut it down and go back to launching DCS normally, without using the app (so nothing to do with the "VR ON" button). Then I realize I can no longer get DCS to start in Oculus mode. When I launch DCS (through my usual desktop shortcut), if VR is enabled in the options.lua OR forced through the command line, then DCS tries to launch in SteamVR mode, but fails to find a headset. If VR is disabled in the options.lua, or forced off through the command line, then DCS launches in 2D mode (as expected)

So at that point I start trying different things to fix it:

1) Run via the app again, setting the drop-down back to Oculus mode, and launching via the "VR ON" button again = no change (still launched DCS in SteamVR mode instead, with SteamVR failing to find a headset).

2) Full DCS cleanup + repair = no change

3) Renaming my saved games folder, to let DCS recreate all preferences from its defaults = no change

4) Switching my Quest 2 back and forth between link cable mode and airlink mode = no change

5) Uninstalling SteamVR = some change, in that DCS launches in 2D mode regardless of the options.lua and command line parameters (so again acting as if no headset was present).

What eventually fixed it:

Renaming my DCS folder (the actual install folder, not the Saved Games folder). After doing this, I could reinstall SteamVR, restore my old preferences, etc. Basically put everything back to normal, except my DCS folder is a different path. If I rename my DCS folder back to its original name, everything breaks again. So for now I have a perfectly working DCS install, as long as I don't rename it back to what it was. Makes no sense to me, but beats a broken install.

Edited by V8O

2 hours ago, V8O said:

Which command line parameters are those and where in the app are they documented? I'm more than happy to "understand how the app works" if the means to do so are provided. All I could find is "these settings only affect the VR ON button", which doesn't tell me what is actually being done by the app.

I meant no offense by asking "what does the app do so I can undo it". I didn't ask this because I want to "blame" the app or whatever - to me it's just some app, I don't care. But I figured you might, since it's your app...? Is someone describing a problem they've encountered after running your app (coincidentally or not) not something you want to hear about?

Anyway, I'm still going to describe what happened to me, so that future people perhaps-coincidentally affected by the same issue can work it out. If you at any point think this has anything to do with your app, I'm happy to provide details, videos, logs, whatever, as the issue is still ongoing and I've now found a (to me, nonsensical) workaround. If you don't want to hear any of it because you're certain that it's just sheer coincidence, just ignore me. My intention here at this stage is to be constructive and to help others who may run into the same issue, not to attribute blame.

So, I installed the updater and used it to run DCS (standalone) in SteamVR mode. I did that as explained in the app, i.e. using the VR ON button with the dropdown in the settings page set to SteamVR. Everything worked as expected, i.e. DCS launched in SteamVR mode instead of Oculus. I made no other changes to my system as far as I can tell - no changes to Oculus settings, SteamVR settings, DCS in-game settings, etc. Had a perfectly working DCS standalone install up to that point, running in Oculus mode on a daily basis with no issues.

After that, I'm done with my little SteamVR experiment, so I don't need the app anymore. I shut it down and go back to launching DCS normally, without using the app (so nothing to do with the "VR ON" button). Then I realize I can no longer get DCS to start in Oculus mode. When I launch DCS (through my usual desktop shortcut), if VR is enabled in the options.lua OR forced through the command line, then DCS tries to launch in SteamVR mode, but fails to find a headset. If VR is disabled in the options.lua, or forced off through the command line, then DCS launches in 2D mode (as expected)

So at that point I start trying different things to fix it:

1) Run via the app again, setting the drop-down back to Oculus mode, and launching via the "VR ON" button again = no change (still launched DCS in SteamVR mode instead, with SteamVR failing to find a headset).

2) Full DCS cleanup + repair = no change

3) Renaming my saved games folder, to let DCS recreate all preferences from its defaults = no change

4) Switching my Quest 2 back and forth between link cable mode and airlink mode = no change

5) Uninstalling SteamVR = some change, in that DCS launches in 2D mode regardless of the options.lua and command line parameters (so again acting as if no headset was present).

What eventually fixed it:

Renaming my DCS folder (the actual install folder, not the Saved Games folder). After doing this, I could reinstall SteamVR, restore my old preferences, etc. Basically put everything back to normal, except my DCS folder is a different path. If I rename my DCS folder back to its original name, everything breaks again. So for now I have a perfectly working DCS install, as long as I don't rename it back to what it was. Makes no sense to me, but beats a broken install.

This Sounds Like an SteamVR issue where it watches the folder and overrides Oculus. I Will look into it to see if I can re-produce.

9 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

This Sounds Like an SteamVR issue where it watches the folder and overrides Oculus. I Will look into it to see if I can re-produce.

Thanks, following up on that lead I've found the issue and been able to reproduce it and fix it for good. Looking at the SteamVR logs it seems that every attempt after the first successful DCS run failed with the message "oculus: OVR Error: Code: -3005 -- ovrError_IncompatibleOS Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or a later operating system version is required."

So I check DCS.exe and see it's set to Win 7 compatibility. I turn that off, all works fine. Then I install your updater app again and launch it via "VR ON" in Oculus mode. Works fine, over several runs. I try it again, but setting it to SteamVR mode. It works fine... but only the first time. Then it's back to the same crash, same error log, compatibility mode turned on again. So at this point I know the issue is that something is changing that setting, and it only happens upon/after successfully launching DCS via SteamVR.

I don't normally use SteamVR (according to the logs I hadn't used it for 7 months heh), and no longer have any other VR apps on my DCS PC, so I'm out of options to test this. However I noticed that uninstalling SteamVR did not uninstall any of the addons / overlays I had on there (some probably months out of date). So, I go with the nuclear option and do a full uninstall of both SteamVR and Steam, then manually delete all the files leftover in my Steam folders (including the ones in the Users folder, my old WMR stuff which I no longer need, etc.). After that, I reinstall Steam and SteamVR... and all works fine - launching DCS via SteamVR (which I still know no way of doing, other than by using your app) no longer randomly sets DCS.exe to compatibility mode, and so it no longer crashes regardless of the VR SDK choice.

So, to anyone running into the same issue, just double-check your DCS.exe compatibility settings. If you find that something keeps resetting it every time you launch SteamVR, it's something in your SteamVR causing it. If you don't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling everything related to SteamVR, either simply turn compatibility mode back off every time (if you want to keep using SteamVR for DCS) or turn it off once and then never run DCS in SteamVR mode again.

Edited by V8O

19 minutes ago, V8O said:

However I noticed that uninstalling SteamVR did not uninstall any of the addons / overlays I had on there (some probably months out of date). So, I go with the nuclear option and do a full uninstall of both SteamVR and Steam, then manually delete all the files leftover in my Steam folders (including the ones in the Users folder, my old WMR stuff which I no longer need, etc.).

On a side note, this is one of my biggest gripes why i don't install Steam anymore on my PC. It just nests everywhere and when uninstalled leaves a hugh bit of leftovers about everywhere (just check your registry after uninstalling). They just don't play nice, uninstall is uninstall, totally. Period.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

My app should not be changing compatibility modes of the files for sure.

Question: can I use this to save different display profiles? And if so, can I rename them? How would I go about doing this if its possible?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Hi, just discovered this useful tool, however, after setting it all up and browsing my install and saved game paths etc, next time I use it, these are not saved.....how can I do this?

thanks

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

i just run the .exe from a folder on my desktop?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Coming back again to SteamVR, i wish to know how your app is able to launch DCS on SteamVR.

Im a Quest 2 user but i need to use SteamVR for using ReShade but im unable of doing it without your launcher, what are the console commands (or any other change needed) to change launch between one or another API without using your launcher?

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I'm using this tool for a long time. But since the auto update is disabled I updated it rarely.

I use the version 10.2.2020. If I try to update to the newest verion, all settings are gone. How to migrate the setting?

Found it:

Change log 1.1.0.1040 / 5.3.2021:
-Adjusted Settings File, Will Require user to re-do all settings

Really??? grmmpf

Edited by kaltokri

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Thanks for this app, very cool.

Edited by MNissen
  • Like 1

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB RAM - Radeon RX 590

Mac OS X 10.15 - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - 2 x SSD 1TB - T16000M HOTAS - DCS World & Open Beta - Operator still a newbie

For a long time now, I have felt that this app is the #1 essential add on for DCS.  Looking at the fist page, it shows that the latest update has been downloaded only about 2,000 times!

Why isn't everyone using this tool?

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For a long time now, I have felt that this app is the #1 essential add on for DCS.  Looking at the fist page, it shows that the latest update has been downloaded only about 2,000 times!
Why isn't everyone using this tool?
I was thinking the same. Can't believe that not more people use it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Same here, been thinking about this every time i read someone wants to create DCS icons which load up VR or pancake mode, switch versions etc...

This tool has all in one, you can start in whatever mode you want, you can start in any setting you want depending on in which mode you want to play (i have 3, one for offline play, one for online play and one for VR). You can switch to any version, update, launch extra software from it...

Edited by Lange_666
Typo
  • Like 3

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

yep, its a swiss army knife for DCS ... but i suspect those of us who use it tend to "fiddle" more than most.  But  I don't know what i'd do without it!

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I use it mostly for swapping between VR and TIR settings as well as easy updating. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So, is there a way with this tool to customize the way it launches DCS?

With virtual desktop in VR I need to launch DCS with this command line :

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "S:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe"

Can we do that with this app and how?

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Go to app settings, and  select external application and launch from there...  if you click the tick box it gets launched with dcs.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks will have a look. Though I need virtual desktop to be launched with an argument so unsure the external app works for that. 

I have also seen a custom script tab though unsure how it works. 

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.