Mirage Seems Slower when Afterburners + Can't Shoot Magics - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
redmantab

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmantab View Post
Hey redmantab! For Magics you'll want to use the 3-position switch, IIRC called Weapons Select Switch. It switches between Magics in AA mode / Guns in AA mode / PCA selection. It is true that now in order to activate the Magics you have to use your HOTAS. I am working on an updated version of the manual.
I've only had some limited success with your advice here. Flown the campaign and 10 missions into the Red Flag Mirage as well, so I have experience. Wish using Magics wasn't so complicated lol.

I haven't found a weapon select switch described in the way you said "IIRC called Weapons Select Switch. It switches between Magics in AA mode / Guns in AA mode / PCA selection, Else PCA Select."

I found "Magic Select, else PCA select" and was able to map one of my switches to that. I created a mission flying behind a simple jet flying straight and it's wonky using the magics. When I press the button on my x52, it sometimes will show that I'm swapped to Magics on my cockpit panel showing "S", but then when I let go of the button I mapped it will sometimes swap back to 530D. If I play around with the panel and my button, I can eventually get it to stick on magics showing the "S" on the panel. What a pain. Then, once I get it to stick on Magics (this may be separate issue) I can't lock on the plane flying straight in front of me...unless I loop around for no reason and fly at it from another angle then I am able to get the "triangle lock tone."

Gotta say, spending an hour to simply use Magics is really a pain. Please advise. Great campaign...but its items like this that make the time sink frustrating. Getting that Youtube 1-minute DCS guy to do another vid for these new "updated" Magic's would work wonders. Look forward to your help and appreciate it as always. Thank you.
redmantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
mahuja

The "X else Y" controls are intended for hotas switches - for example, you push a switch forward, and it registers that as a held button until you move it back.
mahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
redmantab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuja View Post
The "X else Y" controls are intended for hotas switches - for example, you push a switch forward, and it registers that as a held button until you move it back.
Thanks. What I'm doing is correct then? If not, please tell me specifically what to use.
redmantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #14
Ramsay

Quote:
... please tell me specifically what to use.
For A2A I have the these keybinds set

• "C" = Cannon
• "N" = Neutral = PCA pre-selected for 530
• "M" = Magic

So three buttons on the joystick and the foresight to set the PCA to 530 at the same time as I arm the Gun and Master Arm.

The controls are listed under HOTAS

• CNM AA Gun
• CNM neutral (PCA SELECT)
• CNM MAGIC

Quote:
I found "Magic Select, else PCA select" and was able to map one of my switches to that. I created a mission flying behind a simple jet flying straight and it's wonky using the magics.

When I press the button on my x52, it sometimes will show that I'm swapped to Magics on my cockpit panel showing "S", but then when I let go of the button I mapped it will sometimes swap back to 530D.
This is because you are using the "else PCA select" mapping and your switch/button doesn't lock forward/in.

The "else PCA select" mappings are intended for joysticks like the Thrustmaster Warthog with three position switches with 2 closed (push and hold) positions and a middle open/neutral position.

Last edited by Ramsay; 01-06-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Add 3 position switch diagram
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote