The Rookie Thread

I think it switched between GPS/NAV like in commercial jets. That is, homing on the GPS route, or the ADF beacon signals, AKA glide path.:joystick:

This switch is for ground testing NAV/targeting system. No use in flight but it will do no harm either if it's on.

So,

- during manual start, don't turn it on,

- but if it's on after automatic start, leave it on.

• Like 1

*Ostrich*

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Did I say button? I could have sworn I said switch.

The NAV switch is semi-redundant with the K-041 switch. It's a bit buggy that if you turn the NAV switch off while K-041 is also on it turns off K-041 functions until you cycle the K-041 switch off and on again. Normal flight is K-041 only but there's no harm in having both on (as it is with default hot starts).

Did I say button? I could have sworn I said switch.

The NAV switch is semi-redundant with the K-041 switch. It's a bit buggy that if you turn the NAV switch off while K-041 is also on it turns off K-041 functions until you cycle the K-041 switch off and on again. Normal flight is K-041 only but there's no harm in having both on (as it is with default hot starts).

yeah the lights are back on! thanks:pilotfly:

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

yeah couple more questions.

=how to start hover for target tracking? I keep going ahead and I wanna stay still.

=how to hold altitude during hover? I tried F and barometric switch and ALTHLD on A/P but cant get it to stay up

=how to switch to cannon? I know inside hardpoint is the rockets, outside is the vikhr, cannon?

=how to get the engine to idle RPM and does that affect lift? as in hover?

yeah couple more questions.

=how to start hover for target tracking? I keep going ahead and I wanna stay still.

1. What official procedure/procedure given by an experienced player do you use for auto hovering?

2. Hovering and tracking have nothing to do with each other. Learn them separately.

=how to hold altitude during hover? I tried F and barometric switch and ALTHLD on A/P but cant get it to stay up

Holding altitude in AH requires no additional switches from the default configuration (achieved via cheat autostart). Just the auto hover switch/button.

Keywords to search in the manual: collective brake.

=how to switch to cannon? I know inside hardpoint is the rockets, outside is the vikhr, cannon?

See the manual. This tells me that you haven't even read the beginning of it which comes with lot's of pictures...

=how to get the engine to idle RPM and does that affect lift? as in hover?

The manual.

At idle RPM you won't be able to retain altitude when flying with combat payload. Probably you won't be able even with a clean heli.

then I guess I'll start reading :D

thanks for the assist though :)

Edited by 159th_Viper
  • Like 1

alright I cant figure THE SEQUENCE for autohover and alt hld. this is my attempt, which ended in a lousy crash:

due that somebd explain.

Thanks

Looks normal everything that happened in the video. Auto-hover is engaged as per instructions on 10-30 of the Flight Manual. If the ALT channel is off, engaging auto-hover turns this channel on. ALT hold works in both the BR and RD modes. The AP channels have limited authority on the controls so the neutral position of the controls cannot be too far from what is needed.

The ALT hold channel commands changes in collective to maintain captured altitude. The captured altitude value is taken when the ALT channel is engaged or when the collective brake is released while ALT channel is on. The ALT channel functions in the BR or RD mode.

• Like 1

It looks normal. Turn to target isn't a perfect system. A small pedal input is necessary almost every time. Trim also affects it. Press RCtrl + Enter to see the control box. Center your pedal trim before aiming.

Also try using manual weapon release mode. It will allow you to fire even if you aren't pointing exactly at the target.

Like Frederf said, the sequense looks right. The Alt hold is automatically engaged with auto hover. I have mapped a button on my HOTAS to toggle the Alt hold off after I disengage auto hover.

Your shooting sequence looks okay too.

- Turn on all the systems necessary ie. HMS, master arm etc.

- Aim at the target with HMS.

- Lock on to the target.

- Shoot.

It is that simple.

It looks normal. Turn to target isn't a perfect system. A small pedal input is necessary almost every time. Trim also affects it. Press RCtrl + Enter to see the control box. Center your pedal trim before aiming.

Well, I'll be damned... how more do you know of those boxes?

This shows the center point, which made my life alot easier. Thanks

Also try using manual weapon release mode. It will allow you to fire even if you aren't pointing exactly at the target.

But wouldnt that affect the guidance? you mean I expedite release or manual/auto infront of the stick? and the missile can still track provided I paint the target?

I know release wont arm the warhead, and inflight, the missile engines are off, dont know how it even traverses to target point...:mad:

Your shooting sequence looks okay too.

- Turn on all the systems necessary ie. HMS, master arm etc.

- Aim at the target with HMS.

- Lock on to the target.

- Shoot.

I just have one problem. The cannon. I'm confused between the weapon selection switches.. I know Y is the outside hardpoint, and U is the inside, but the cannon. And I tried the spacebar only on both occasions, sometimes it works, and sometimes, I keep holding an empty bar...

I activate the cannon as such:

Master arm and HMS ON

O --> on target

Enter--> Lock

then Q to turn to target,

Ground moving for all ground targets..

then theres this switch bore/autotrack

is that the one? say I wanna shoot where I look within cannon slew limits, so I rotate my head and use autotrack?

I'm sorry for overflooding your answers...

I just have one problem. The cannon. I'm confused between the weapon selection switches.. I know Y is the outside hardpoint, and U is the inside, but the cannon. And I tried the spacebar only on both occasions, sometimes it works, and sometimes, I keep holding an empty bar...

Geeeeez, noc, you're setting a wrong example to other rookies :noexpression: It's not about my personal opinion but rather being fair to those rookies who actually come here with genuine questions after reading at least some bits of manual.

kindrtfm_bucic.jpg

And if the original manual + search function is so overwhelming then maybe try this one?

How to Take Off and Blow Up Stuff guide from Eagle Wiki

off to the manual then..

and there is the answer

;)

Geez.. I'd rather speak and understand russian than hearing out this russian guy speak in english... talk about garble...:doh:

lol@ RTFM:thumbup:

Edited by WildBillKelsoe
  • Like 1

Great vid! That's the spirit! :thumbup:

Geez.. I'd rather speak and understand russian than hearing out this russian guy speak in english... talk about garble...:doh:

Remind me not to speak to you over TeamSpeak then ;)

BTW, the correct pronunciation of my nickname is boocheech (soft, short) :P

Edit:

As you've proved that the time given to you is not a wasted time I'll just make sure:

- have you downloaded the EXTENDED version of the game manual from the official site?

- did you know about Baal's/Miguez's tooltips mod that will display keyboard commands on-tooltips?

It's all here - Rookie pilots - Quick Intro. Just a reminder.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

Great vid! That's the spirit! :thumbup:

I'm scouring the rest of this thread to see if I can help another rooster ;)

Remind me not to speak to you over TeamSpeak then ;)

LOL:megalol:

EDIT:

Just checked the above post. Will look into them. Thanks. I'll call you Cheech, short for Bucheech ;)

You see, if I call you Buch, then youre Book in German. I think cheech is savvy, and you get to be Nash's partner ;)

Also, newcomers will pronounce it right from start, since they'll look into the cross-fire ;)

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fellas New rookie here Im coming over from Il2 ROF. Loving the sim so far but Im wondering what commands do you guys program into your Hotas system IE what commands do you use most often. Im using a FFB2 stick X52 throttle for collective and I have 2 Cougar MFD's.

Thanks and this really is an awesome thread

• Like 1

I came I saw I got blown up by a SA-8:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.firstfighterwing.com/forums/content.php

Memory

Most Windows-based PCs can only support up to 4GB of RAM. Since Gateway's FX computers have 64-bit operating systems, they can support more physical memory. The FX series' RAM ranges from 6GB to 16GB of preinstalled DDR3 RAM.

Graphics

All Gateway FX desktops have ATI Radeon HD video cards, which feature powerful processors and up to 2GB of memory. Most of the Radeon cards installed in Gateway FX computers can utilize CrossFireX technology, where two video cards can be installed in tandem; however, the FX6800 uses a single video card that actually has two processors on-board.

I know the odds are slim, but is there any chance I could run this simulator with these specs?

I have 1.0.2 installed before hearing about the broken training videos. Can you point me in the direction where I can install V1.00.or1.01 and keep my 1.0.2 on my C: drive, so that the down-loadable training video .exe files will know where to go when they are first run? Or does the V1.00 already have the training videos included, and are they the same ones? I only found out after several attempts to install the down loadable .exe training video installs that they will NOT work with an ordinary 1.0.2 install:mad:, it seems they will work with a steam install. I'm wondering now if they will also work with a pirated install lol, that has happened to other programs.

arion when u say that you can do a duel install 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 should i install 1.0.1 then 1.0.2 also u say about the activations. do u mean that it will use another activation other than the 1 i used 4 my original install?

finally one more noob question i already have FC2 and its latest patch, then a load of mods 4 it. will this be a problem when installing BS patches?

Memory

Most Windows-based PCs can only support up to 4GB of RAM. Since Gateway's FX computers have 64-bit operating systems, they can support more physical memory. The FX series' RAM ranges from 6GB to 16GB of preinstalled DDR3 RAM.

Graphics

All Gateway FX desktops have ATI Radeon HD video cards, which feature powerful processors and up to 2GB of memory. Most of the Radeon cards installed in Gateway FX computers can utilize CrossFireX technology, where two video cards can be installed in tandem; however, the FX6800 uses a single video card that actually has two processors on-board.

I know the odds are slim, but is there any chance I could run this simulator with these specs?

If you have a FX6800 05 then you are way better off than most in this forum. The older FX6800-01e only had a 512mb 4850 and would be lacking in the video department, but still capable of playing at reduced quality. The newer FX6800 05 has a 4870x2 and should do very well with max graphics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

arion when u say that you can do a duel install 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 should i install 1.0.1 then 1.0.2 also u say about the activations. do u mean that it will use another activation other than the 1 i used 4 my original install?

finally one more noob question i already have FC2 and its latest patch, then a load of mods 4 it. will this be a problem when installing BS patches?

AFAIK there should be no separate activation requests. Once you install DCS BS "it knows" that you have already activated, so that even when you uninstall it it should not nag you again upon re-installing.

To make sure please read the GUI Manual from your game's \Doc\ folder and the FAQ (follow forum sticky topics).

Second question:

FC2 and DCS are separate installs. They should not be even "aware of each other's existence".