The Rookie Thread

thanks a lot ,Bucic, for that information. Is something I wasn't aware off and certainly gives me a new insight into the AP of the helicopter! :D

You're welcome.

It was added in 1.01, >3° per second heading change rate is captured instead of the heading itself when trim is released.

Wasn't the functionaly present in vanilla 1.0, just with different value instead of 3°?

You know... I don't know. I think that there was no rate-hold before. Notes simply read:

The Yaw (heading) autopilot channel functionality has also been redesigned. If the yaw rate is under 3 deg/sec. when the trimmer button is released, the autopilot will stabilize the helicopter heading. If the yaw rate is greater than 3 deg/sec., the autopilot will stabilize the yaw rate to maintain the turn.

• 4 weeks later...

:helpsmilie:

Hi im new to black shark and need to ask a few questions if any one can answer them for me.

Ive read the instructions and key command list and as i don`t know what there called i can`t find them.

1. i saw in a video on youtube that the key to talk to tower ect after battery start and turning radio on ect. is backslash tried and don`t work im not too sure what its called but if some one could let me know i can make it to a key i wish to use .

2. Which switch in the cockpit turns off the nav light (the red spinning one in center of fusalage i think it can be retracted but not sure) i know the short cut keys but i like doing it in the cock pit .

3. best way to avoid a sam misstle or should i say what do you think is the best way to avoid them .

thx in front for all answers .

1. Go to Options -> Controls, then under Category choose Radio Communications, command name is Communications menu. Double click on keyboard shortcut, it will open window where you assign new shortcut

2. It's called Anti-collision Beacon light. Switch is on right wall panel, bottom row, 10th from right.

3. Avoid SAM by learning their positions in Mission Planner (Breefing screen, in-between Cancel and Fly) and by preventive scan of dangerous terrain while flying.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. Also, make sure the Intercom Source Selector switch (rotary knob on left radio control panel) is set to VFH2 to talk with the tower or Ground when you want to talk to the ground crew.

3. "Fly like water flows"; that is, stay low and in the valleys, and, as JLZ said, go slow and look for the bad guys when you enter enemy territory. Your eyes and the Shkval can pick out all kinds of detail if you take the time to use them.

• Like 1

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Bad news i got another question . Everthing is going well but how the hell do you learn all the codes for the ememy , i can`t remember all the different sam 1`s nevermind everything else. is there a print out of the names of what things are with a pic so when looking at the planner i can see what im up against . I can then start to learn what everything is.

Are you talking about the enemies for a specific mission or about the various enemy units in general? The built in encyclopedia has pictures and some specifications of all of the equipment represented, and learning to recognize different units on the Shkval is an important skill to develop. Spend some time with the encyclopedia to learn what the units look like, and looking up units by name on the Internet will provide loads of real world information that by and large you will find faithfully modeled in the DCS world.

You should also play the "Shooting Range" mission, which gives you the opportunity to start up, take off and navigate in a training environment. There are a number of already dead targets to practice shooting at with all the different weapons at your disposal, and it is easy to use the mission editor to add any units you like so you can practice on them in a training environment.

The learning curve is long and sometimes steep, but definitely worth the effort - Black Shark is a great sim!

• Like 2

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Guess im thinking along the lines of everything , i aint got a clue what any are.

It would be nice if i had something to look at while at work as most of the time im sat waiting , I have a laptop to hand but blackshark won`t run on it so that out of question .

cb900_157, looks like this might help:

http://war-hawks.net/private/index.php/trainmod/training-information

After a quick glance at the site it seems it'll give you screenshots of every ground vehicle in the game. However there is no information regarding combat abilities and the like. Nevertheless it should be very useful for learning names and appearances!

Found that great site by looking here:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Resources_for_New_Pilots#American.2FSoviet_recognition_guide_PDF

Edited by slug88

I am thinking about getting this, but I worry that my joystick has to few buttons for this and Lock on:platinum edition.

I am currently using a T-flight Hotas X, and it has 12 buttons and a Hat switch. Does it have enough buttons for all of the commands and controls?

IMO you should ask this question on the Controllers forum section and use the search function first. As for number of buttons - there's no such thing as too many buttons http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53213

Hi Sniper. Welcome.:)

Answers for your questions are as follows:

1.Is it hard to just jump into this flight simulator series?
Extremely. Unless you take the time to read the documentation, you will struggle.

2.How long would it be to get used to the controls.
Depends how quickly you adapt. Flying a R22 Robby in FSX is worlds away from the KA-50. The learning curve is steep. Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and did I mention read the manual?

3.Does TrackIR make it easier?
Definitely. If you can afford it, then it is strongly recommended. There is a DIY version called Freetrack, if you are handy. Just google it...

I can't stress enough the importance of reading the manual. Read it, and understand it.

Again, welcome to the forums :).

Rectum non bustus

Extremely. Unless you take the time to read the documentation, you will struggle.

Aren't most of the buttons in the cockpit even used?

Also, I am using a T-flight Hotas X, and I fear I may not have enough buttons (12+ a hat switch) to not use the keyboard.

The manual is 534 pages long?!?!?!? Shit, I better start reading.

Edited by Poor mans sniper

Sniper, Check this out:

and this :

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Resources_for_New_Pilots

In the second one, there is a link to Leading Edge training video. It's big, but well worth the download.

Thanks, figured out all but one of my questions, what is the best starters game: Lock on platinum or Black shark?

Also, thanks for helping me out.:smilewink:

That's the one way you can look at it. On the other hand:

• - steep learning curve = huge satisfaction of every bit learned
  • - you learn real aviation knowledge every day
  • - you can learn basics and go into combat in a day (24 hours of flight/reading time :P) to avoid getting frustrated (?) (7 How to Take Off and Blow Up Stuff)

Then you can supplement your skills according to a prioritized list:

Aren't most of the buttons in the cockpit even used?

Most buttons are used but at the same time most of them are used rarely e.g. on startup. To get an idea of what commands are used most frequently take a look at various joysticks button layouts like mine for example. Also getting the cockpit tooltips mod with keyboard shortcuts is the first thing you should do (check my sig).

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

When I ask this, I don't mean to be snobby, but are you after a solid, technical air combat simulator, or something that you can log in and have fun for an hour or two of your spare time?

I can't speak for LO FC2, although I do have it, I haven't played it much at all.

DCS: Blackshark is full-on. Very technical and from what I read, quite realistic.

When making the distinction between LO Platinum and DCS:BS, you are comparing apples and oranges.

If you have played Hawx and expect something close to that, then I'm afraid you'll be in for a severe shock :).

Please discard any preconceived ideas when comparing it to other "simulators".

Rectum non bustus

I am thinking about getting this, but I worry that my joystick has to few buttons for this and Lock on:platinum edition.

I am currently using a T-flight Hotas X, and it has 12 buttons and a Hat switch. Does it have enough buttons for all of the commands and controls?

You can assign 1 or 2 buttons as modifier (these are like shift or ctrl or alt on keyboard) or switch (like caps lock or num lock or scroll lock on keyboard). If you assigned 1 button to modifier/switch you will have 22 button or if you assigned 2 buttons you will have 30 buttons at your disposal.

Other switches/buttons in hokum you activate through 3D cockpit.

Welcome aboard :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm using a joystick 10buttons + hat and flying this beast without any problems control-wise. You don't need that much buttons during flying.