Impossible to taxi!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but taxiing the 109 literally takes an act of God. Rudder input is almost nil, and differential braking is unusable. It seems the tailwheel locks in a particular direction after differential braking. I know this bird should be tough to taxi with the narrow track landing gear, but MY GOD! Perhaps I am doing something wrong. It's a handful to fly, but I got it. Taxiing is killing me literally!

My concern, is, am I doing something wrong? Is there some tailwheel lock or something that I am missing. Maybe it's just user error, but I've been flying flight sims for a while (Il-2 1946 most recently) this is a whole other ball game. I had a tough time with the mustang but am doing fine now.

lock the tail wheel to go streight, unlock it to turn. learn that the brakes aren't just on/off, they need to be feathered.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well, i think the 109 is pretty much the same to taxi as the dora is...except that the gear is narrow, and you have to pay attention to the speed, otherwise it likes to tilt the wings down...differential toe brakes work good to steer her.and other than with the 190 where i usually taxi with 1500rpm in the 109 i leave her at around only 1000rpm to avoid getting too fast.

interestingly though, one of my friends claims that he is steering the 109 with pedal input on the ground.i tried that and for me there is no way to do that in a somehow controlled manner.so toe brakes are the way to go for me at least.

I find it strange that using toe brakes works fine for turning even with tail wheel in locked position. It almost makes taxiing easier. Surely this can't be right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Hello,

For me too I found the taxi very hard and with the other warbirds as P-51 or Dora no problem.

With the Bf-109 I don't know if I must lock the tailwheel or not... For information I use my Bf-109 full real.

Is it possible to have one little video of your taxi ?

Thanks again, Skull.

I can actually see the tail wheel moving a bit. Not as much as when unlocked but enough to make turning possible. I can understand that I can force the plane to skid with a bit of throttle but I can turn even at idle as long as I have some forward movement. Doesn't take much speed or brake pressure at all. And even if I'm skidding I don't seem to damage the tail wheel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

I find it strange that using toe brakes works fine for turning even with tail wheel in locked position. It almost makes taxiing easier. Surely this can't be right?

Its how I did my taxi in the Dora ... hit the throttle alittle bit in the turns and away we went. I just unlock the tail wheel in the 109 because it doesn't seem to have enough brakes/rudder to turn locked. No problems unlocked.

You are effectively skidding the tail wheel when you turn like that.

Yep you can feel it skid. Unlock the tailwheel and use just enough power to get rolling. Small bursts and return to idle are best while taping differential brakes to keep it straight. If you have a long bit of straight taxiway, lock the tailwheel. I have the tailwheel lock toggled on a toggle :) switch on my warthog throttle quad and it's easy to snap on and off.

Here is the video you need to watch to taxi

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Looks like I'll make a "Messerschmitt corner" in a runway before getting the hang of this ;)

It does take practice with smooth throttle, slight touch of toe brake and some rudder added in.

Should be doable though, P-51 seemed hard at first too.. :music_whistling: ;)

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

It just lessens the tendency for the tail to swing too far. Much easier with the tail wheel locked - unless you're turning a sharp corner, in which case, unlock the tail wheel, get it pointed in the right direction, then lock the tail wheel again.

I've used that technique with all the tail draggers.

• ED Team
It just lessens the tendency for the tail to swing too far. Much easier with the tail wheel locked - unless you're turning a sharp corner, in which case, unlock the tail wheel, get it pointed in the right direction, then lock the tail wheel again.

I've used that technique with all the tail draggers.

Yes, I use this as well, atleast when I am getting used to a new aircraft like the WWII birds. Its not proper I am sure, but it helps in control for sure...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png