Why Dubai? How ED decides on which map to make. - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #21
DmitriKozlowsky

Realistic Hormuz scenario is not difficult to create. Straight of Hormuz, and much of the PG is shallow. Large deep draft vessels like tankers, containers, Panamax, aircraft carriers, and submarines, can only pass Hormuz via deep water Chanel. That chanell runs between Tunb islands , Abu Musa, and Farur. The 4 islands, Greater and Lesser Tunb, Abu Musa, Siri, and Farur are keys to Hormuz. Right now they are Iranian sovereign territory, with Abu Musa being disputed between Iran and UAE(with GCC supporting UAE position). To close Hormuz, and to keep it closed Iran would have to militarize and fortify those small islands, and reinforce Qesm, and Larak islands. Omani bases at Khassab and Fujuriah are important installations for deployment of shore based forces to reopen the Straight and keep it open by holding Iranians forces in Gulf at bay. As long as Iran controls the four islands, they can use them as quick reaction strike bases for mining the straight, direct attack on shipping, and small craft area denial operations. Air cover from Qesm and Bandar-E-Abbas, and short range air defense on the island would provide cover for Iranian operations. Short distance to Quesm and Iranian mainland eases logistics and reinforcements for iran to retain those islands. If Iran closes Hormuz, Allied forces would have to take control, for duration of conflict of Tunbs, Siri, Abu Musa, and Farur islands. That requires amphibious operations and sustained air campaign to suppress Iranian defenses to Allied surface, air, and ground forces. Airfields , air defense, and anti-shipping installations (shire based cruise missiles) on Quesm would need to be neutralized, and remain out of operation through out conflict. By denying Iran use of islands, denying them air cover, and limiting Iran to use its surface forces, Allies can quickly attit Iranian naval and air forces and render them incapable of closing the Straight, and threatening shipping.
DmitriKozlowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #22
WelshZeCorgi

I think my mind's been changed, didn't really know about the strait of Hormuz incident. I bought the map as a result.
WelshZeCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
JagHond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread_Head57 View Post
I highly doubt it, but if true, I wish the city of Fulda had the same tourism budget!
!
JagHond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #24
aleader

I think everyone's also overlooking the fact that desert terrains are a lot easier to pump out than rocky/treed areas, and are a lot easier on the FPS I'm assuming. You see this in a lot of games, not just DCS. If they have made one desert map, you can guarantee in short order you're going to get a bunch more. It's just easy to justify as most of the conflict is happening in the Middle East these days...yes, it's the oil.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
enigma6584

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleader View Post
I think everyone's also overlooking the fact that desert terrains are a lot easier to pump out than rocky/treed areas, and are a lot easier on the FPS I'm assuming. You see this in a lot of games, not just DCS. If they have made one desert map, you can guarantee in short order you're going to get a bunch more. It's just easy to justify as most of the conflict is happening in the Middle East these days...yes, it's the oil.
Personally I think you are pretty close to the truth here. ED has to take into consideration hardware and what it can run reasonably for maps in use like what we do with a flight simulation. I would also add making maps with large bodies of "water" to be easier on hardware and performance as well.

Look at the aircraft modelled in DCS. The star performers are naval in nature. ED has stated they will be redoing the whole carrier operations aspect of the game. There is a new third party developer (DEKA) who is making Chinese equipment, both naval assets and playable aircraft.

What's next beside the new desert maps coming? South China Sea? I'd put money on that.
enigma6584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #26
Pikey
Veteran

I'd hardly call the new Syria map a desert! If they wanted easy to model then Syria is not a simple map, the coastline contains entire countries like Lebanon with over 6million inhabitants. That's more than Dubai and Bandar Abbas together. It's very populous and complex. PG makes sense for multiple reasons, it's in the news every year, when Iran threaten to close it, or run circles round a US destroyer or someone hits a mine, or it's actual incidents. There's billions of dollars of US taxpayer running the 5th fleet (and a decent wad worldwide also dedicated to that little strip of water. And the ownership disputes are real. Oman was created in my lifetime, the place is rife for it, like many middle east locations.

Now the scale of the map, now being the largest, IS dependent of the object count and performance, but in this case they only gave us more of it to play with. We wont see the Syria map of the same size (at current leaks from Ugra Media, if so, they'd have Cyprus, with another1.1 million inhabitants to place 3D homes for along a famous conflict area between Greece and Turkey, much to their chagrin and the Brits who wanted Akrotiri base.

Nope, it's not about making it easy, although there is defintiely serious limitations. I'm dreading Syria performance over the coast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma6584 View Post
Personally I think you are pretty close to the truth here. ED has to take into consideration hardware and what it can run reasonably for maps in use like what we do with a flight simulation. I would also add making maps with large bodies of "water" to be easier on hardware and performance as well.

Look at the aircraft modelled in DCS. The star performers are naval in nature. ED has stated they will be redoing the whole carrier operations aspect of the game. There is a new third party developer (DEKA) who is making Chinese equipment, both naval assets and playable aircraft.

What's next beside the new desert maps coming? South China Sea? I'd put money on that.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:39 PM   #27
aleader

Maybe, I'm not a coder. I'm recalling all the issues with trees and the hit to performance they always seem to bring (all games, not just DCS)...and the fact I find desert boring I guess. Graviteam keeps pumping out DLC for Mius Front that may be real, but it all looks the same after a while...featureless Russian plains. It's great to model real-world hotspots, but unless a similarly real conflict is modeled, I'd just as soon have a more interesting map with a fictional conflict. I'm also partial to the A10 and helicopters which get down low, which is certainly part of why I'm biased. I think it's also the reason the Georgia map is the most popular....Normandy's too flat.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 AM   #28
Wags
ED Team

It's a combination of several factors:

1- Available data in regards to textures, DTED, GIS, etc.

2- How valid it is for training or a war zone.

3- Market interest.

4- How well it suits available aircraft modules.

Thanks!
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 AM   #29
aleader

Understandable and all valid reasons. It can be interesting. Shock Force 2 is my favourite of all the Combat Mission games, and I can't even pinpoint why exactly. Give me a good dynamic campaign and I'll buy all your desert maps!

Last edited by aleader; 01-22-2019 at 02:53 AM.
aleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #30
enigma6584

And there you have it, straight from the man himself.
enigma6584 is offline   Reply With Quote