Would you buy fictional maps? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you by fictional maps?
Yes 186 33.21%
No 374 66.79%
Voters: 560. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
Reflected

No way

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
"Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" P-51D Campaign
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

Not interested either.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #13
Fri13

Semi-realistic please. No need to be ultra realistic by all the roads, railways, bridges, hills etc. As long you get the general area right and then randomly generate the towns, roads etc.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
NeilWillis
Veteran

What is the point of fictional maps? Aren't there enough regions of the real world to be replicated? What would you do regarding navigation and mapping? Seems to me this is an utterly nonsensical suggestion.

So no!

And why couldn't you have done this as a poll if you want to do market research? I suspect you haven't really given this much thought at all have you!
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #15
flanker1

no
flanker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #16
Magic Zach

Nah.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
As long you get the general area right and then randomly generate the towns, roads etc.
+1 Not a bad idea at all. Would speed up the creation process as well, so this is something the devs should actually look into IMO.
Hey doubters, check this out: "P-51D has another variant with new higher octane coming later, the K-4 and D-9 are getting new cockpits, all the WWII warbirds are getting their cooling reworked, and a DM is in internal testing"
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #18
Holton181

No for me.
I actually would like the present maps to be even more realistic. I want them to be consistent with WGS84 so it would be possible to export position data to my phone, preferably in-game suport for GPS export (NMEA). Not for cheating, only to be able to fly and have real world maps.
(I do this all the tim in X-plane and Prepar3D)

And it would make it possible to combine several adjacent maps for the same flights/missions if there ever will be adjacent maps...
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5

Last edited by Holton181; 01-23-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Holton181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #19
ESAc_matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilWillis View Post
What is the point of fictional maps? Aren't there enough regions of the real world to be replicated?

The point is or should be: it is much easier to create a fictional 500x500 miles map, than recreate real ones. Arent people asking for tools like Create airports?? Buildings??

Quote:
What would you do regarding navigation and mapping? Seems to me this is an utterly nonsensical suggestion.
Arent guys making its own TACAN or Beacons?? it is not that difficult to make your own charts... i dont feel it is nonsensical at all. in fact, In our squadron, we added couple of TACAN in northern Caucasus... Or made our own aproximation Charts for certain airports.

Quote:
And why couldn't you have done this as a poll if you want to do market research? I suspect you haven't really given this much thought at all have you!
Again... because I dont know how to make a poll... (mentioned already twice).

However...

If realism is what bothers you... I wonder, how do you play then in Normandy with our spits or Bf109K... There is a good mixture of airframes, which is really "unrealistic". If think, that if you make a concession, by flying a "fictional" war, why are you so bother by flying a fictional map. IF you bring A10s to Caucasus, it is as much fictional as any new map. A fictional war (which is what all Campaigns are about) in a fictional land, does not affect the realism of an airframe or the simulation. There are other really good simulators (ground) that explored fictional maps, and people are more than happy with that. I am really surprised actually with most of the answers!

I would prefer to get few maps every year, between realistic and not. Than one every3 years...

In any case, thank god, in case there are fictional maps, you can take or leave it at will.

Last edited by ESAc_matador; 01-23-2018 at 05:59 PM.
ESAc_matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #20
Quadg

whether the map is real or fictional, we will all put it to fictional use....
which means i don't care either way

a post nuclear war map could be fun.. blown down forests, smashed cities and craters.
think post nuclear war survival in helicopters and planes.. killing each other for each others beans.