Would you buy fictional maps? - Page 16 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you by fictional maps?
Yes 186 33.21%
No 374 66.79%
Voters: 560. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #151
Sydy

Buy fictional maps? Not me... My Warbirds 3.11 time is gone...
Sydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #152
Baco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton181 View Post
It's not about realistic scenarios/conflicts, it's all about realistic places with realistic geography and with real information, of various kinds, from various sources other than the Eagle Dynamics univers. A lot of examples given by many of us so called Naysayers.
And I myself would really like to visit Georgia for its said geography, mountains, valleys, the Black Sea etc, and that is only because I have flown there in DCS.
Thanks for letting me see your point of view Holton.
Interesting and very valid.

My grate gripe is that there is nowhere to fly "realistic conflicts" or even Fictitious or made up realistic scenarios OTHER than cold war gone Hot at Georgia. Even tho the planes are as real as it gets and the geography too.

My grate inconvenience is that being in the wrong place , kills my immersion.
let me rephrase that, only being able to combat in Georgia for over 12 years. So hopefully I wont be stuck at Iran for too long
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #153
sc_neo

no fictional maps for me neither.
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #154
shimasteama

No, definitely not.
I want to fly over earth and according to earth history. Why not contacting Orbx in Australia?
Maps like Afghanistan (1), Afghanistan (2) , Vietnam, Korea, New Guinea, Solomons, Marianas should depict our military heritage with that museal dream beasts we can fly now with DCS.
DCS should not become a second Arma 3.
shimasteama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #155
jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimasteama View Post
No, definitely not.
I want to fly over earth and according to earth history. Why not contacting Orbx in Australia?
Maps like Afghanistan (1), Afghanistan (2) , Vietnam, Korea, New Guinea, Solomons, Marianas should depict our military heritage with that museal dream beasts we can fly now with DCS.
DCS should not become a second Arma 3.
Same for me.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #156
Baco

Us Military heritage saved by a Russain Company located in Moscow.. if Reagan found out he would die again LOL.
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #157
WelshZeCorgi

Wait, fictional as in 100% geographically fake? Like took place on the planet... Eris 9, inhabited by the gorgonons? If that's the case I'd have to decline, seems like a strange concession in realism in a simulator.
WelshZeCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #158
CheckGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco View Post
Thanks for letting me see your point of view Holton.
Interesting and very valid.

My grate gripe is that there is nowhere to fly "realistic conflicts" or even Fictitious or made up realistic scenarios OTHER than cold war gone Hot at Georgia. Even tho the planes are as real as it gets and the geography too.

My grate inconvenience is that being in the wrong place , kills my immersion.
let me rephrase that, only being able to combat in Georgia for over 12 years. So hopefully I wont be stuck at Iran for too long

I think location is definitely tied into the realism of scenarios. As much of a hotspot the Black Sea/Caucasus region is, it's not a likely area of the world for the U.S. and Western Europe to become militarily involved in and most analysts in the know would tell you the same thing.

For one, the U.S. doesn't have any sort of mutual defense commitment with any country in the region. Even if they did, an argument can be made it could actually decrease the likelihood of war because of the deterrent effect an American presence would have. That's certainly not a convincing argument for increasing military presence and ties in the area, but it does show a lot more goes into the making of a war than simply hostility.

U.S.-Russia scenarios are among the least realistic in the sense they've never happened and are unlikely to occur, which is precisely their appeal. But I think scenario designers have gotten far too carried away and are reinventing the wheel at this point. This is why having a more diverse array of maps is important - it'll allow for a broader range of scenarios as well. Then again, that assumes they don't resort to U.S.-Russia scenarios in places like Africa as well.
CheckGear is offline   Reply With Quote