Two TM Throttles headed for the Dump

Yup,

Totally fed up with TM failures.

Ditching my old Cougar Throttle and my WH Throttle.

Worst expensive SIM items I have ever bought.

Worst customer service experienced in terms of time and cost and updating of legacy software. That's the word for TM SIM HOTAS - legacy outdated gear!

Now I need to find a temp throttle to hold me until the VKB throttle system arrives on the scene.

Vent off - letting go big grin on. :)

I think that VKB and Virpil both has a good change to capture good market share from a niche market for high quality HOTAS devices. Majority will go for Logitech and Thrustmaster, but dedicated virtual pilots likely finds those manufacturers, invest little more money for quality and will be happy with their purchases.

That is reason why I hope good things for those two small companies.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yup,

Totally fed up with TM failures.

Ditching my old Cougar Throttle and my WH Throttle.

Worst expensive SIM items I have ever bought.

My experience, with the Cougar at least, has been different ... purchased it on early 2003 and on all these 15 years of gaming I've had to change the throttle's potentiometer once and that's it (tough on the Joystick I've changed the pots at least three times each axis and also replaced both X and Y gimbals once each), here is a recent photo of both:

Dd4yHd2.jpg

I use them almost daily and even tough they could be better, I'm pleased both with their reliability and the relatively low Price (compared with current high-end devices).

Anyways, best of luck with their replacement :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

OP - I feel you. With TM it's a total crapshoot. I've been collecting HOTAS since the early 90s, I have over a couple dozen sets and various single sticks, including 2 Cougars and 3 Warthog sets. I got a Cougar before it was released on the market as I was editor for the biggest sim site back then, and they sent us one to look at before it was out in order to maximize their press. That one has thousands of hours of use, and not a single issue other than wear and tear on the paint or anodizing or whatever.

The 2nd Cougar was a nib one I opened up and had 2 big failures within a year of use. Same goes for the Warthogs - 2 of them have worked fine, no sticktion at all with my primary one which I bought they day they became available. The 3rd WH stick got sticktion within a few months of medium use. Annoying.

CH Products has noticed a HUGE decrease in quality since they sold out in the late 2000s, the internals when you take one apart compared to the units that came before the buyout - it's like they are intentionally trying to make them crap or something...

OP - if you want a cheap throttle to get you by the next few months, pick up a TM TWCS - it's as good or better than the CH stand alone throttle, and cheap, I've seen them for 60 bucks on sale on Amazon/etc.

I'm going to buy the Virpil and VKB units as soon as the come available, email I got a few days ago from Virpil said that they should be able to fill my WarBrd and throttle orders in March. These Russian and former Soviet republic nations sure are making great custom stuff, I've been SO impressed with the T50 and Gunfighter sticks, the VKB pedals as well. BRD pedals too, which IMO are probably the best custom ones out there, things just scream quality, weigh 25lbs too.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

OP - if you want a cheap throttle to get you by the next few months, pick up a TM TWCS - it's as good or better than the CH stand alone throttle, and cheap, I've seen them for 60 bucks on sale on Amazon/etc.

I'm going to buy the Virpil and VKB units as soon as the come available, email I got a few days ago from Virpil said that they should be able to fill my WarBrd and throttle orders in March. These Russian and former Soviet republic nations sure are making great custom stuff, I've been SO impressed with the T50 and Gunfighter sticks, the VKB pedals as well. BRD pedals too, which IMO are probably the best custom ones out there, things just scream quality, weigh 25lbs too.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check into it.

And I totally agree with you!

I've in general had reasonable wear from both the Cougar and WH but now with Motherboard changes I can't even flash the Cougar and the WH analogue only axis died but all the buttons work. Just finally after continual headaches working with them continually -2 Cougar sets plus WH with several failures that cost me as much for mailing during warranty as the price for a new CH setup.

CH Products has noticed a HUGE decrease in quality since they sold out in the late 2000s, the internals when you take one apart compared to the units that came before the buyout - it's like they are intentionally trying to make them crap or something...

It’s really a shame, with such a small community relative to other peripherals, the prices are high anyway, so a little more for quality components is important. I’m sure many of these devices are sold based on recommendations in places like here.... so selling junk is a bad idea for a company in this market.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

How about wiring everything to a Leo Bodar board or Arduino board then you do not have to worry about tm’s Board failing.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

For Warthog throttle Bodnar controller is not option because sensor used in main axis work in digital bus and require a compatible firmware. An option is MCG SimRGe controller - if manage to buy one.

Replace the sensors by ones compatible with Bodnar will result in much work, adaptations... probable don't worth try.

Cougar throttle on contrary is very easy, can be done including without open the throttle.

With DIY skill nothing is impossible. :D

Posted in this same forum:

https://s9.postimg.org/5do71n5u7/F-16_A10_throttle.jpg

Cougar throttle due be "brainless" is easy to convert for USB as standalone unit - of course require DIY skill and proper tools.

Oh my! Very Nice.

My WH throttle just stopped with the left and right throttle response and also the wheel on the right.

All buttons work. Buttons on the base and buttons on the throttles work fine. I see that the throttles connect to the digital board so I'm beginning to think that the board is the problem. Quite often, when sitting down, I will generate a spark when I touch the metal base. I think this has always been an issue with TM.

I've flashed, redownloaded latest installers and Target. On the W10 Game Controler Settings, the throttles and the wheel just "Jump" to the closed position instead of move at the rate of the physical throttle or wheel.

No broken cables, no loose connections everything appears normal physically. Strange for three sensors to fail so it all points to the board.

I'd like to find an old board and substitute it rather than go through TM.

Any ideas very welcome.

Edited by Catseye

You were already able to order a Virpil throttle? Nice!

Still waiting for an e-mail notification.

Must have missed the order window because no matter when, I never was able to order a unit ..

Sitting here with a X55 throttle which is almost falling apart .. lol .. :(

For Warthog throttle Bodnar controller is not option because sensor used in main axis work in digital bus and require a compatible firmware. An option is MCG SimRGe controller - if manage to buy one.

Replace the sensors by ones compatible with Bodnar will result in much work, adaptations... probable don't worth try.

Cougar throttle on contrary is very easy, can be done including without open the throttle.

A user in this thread was able to read the MLX90333 with an MCP3208 ADC on arduino. Is that the same hall used in the WH throttle?

Also deltaalphalima1 in this thread seems to have reverse engineered some of the i2c protocol for his slew sensor mod. Perhaps he could contribute some knowledge regarding the throttle sensor i2c?

You were already able to order a Virpil throttle? Nice!

Still waiting for an e-mail notification.

Must have missed the order window because no matter when, I never was able to order a unit ..

Sitting here with a X55 throttle which is almost falling apart .. lol .. :(

Don't think so, I have never seen them offer up orders yet for the Virpil throttle.

While they have sent the final version over to production, they have to gear up for it. They have not determined a price yet.

Last I heard they are hoping to open up for orders sometime in March. I am sure there will be an announcement in this forum when they do.

VKB throttle I expect is a ways out, they have delayed again production on more MCG grips and Gunfighters.

Catseye, I feel your pain. I had a Warthog throttle brick on me a couple of years ago. I bought another one, but am looking forward to hopefully the Virpil offering soon.

Hard to believe what TM has turned into, I so remember the good ole days before they were bought out, their customer support was excellent.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 year later...
Oh my! Very Nice.

My WH throttle just stopped with the left and right throttle response and also the wheel on the right.

All buttons work. Buttons on the base and buttons on the throttles work fine. I see that the throttles connect to the digital board so I'm beginning to think that the board is the problem. Quite often, when sitting down, I will generate a spark when I touch the metal base. I think this has always been an issue with TM.

I've flashed, redownloaded latest installers and Target. On the W10 Game Controler Settings, the throttles and the wheel just "Jump" to the closed position instead of move at the rate of the physical throttle or wheel.

No broken cables, no loose connections everything appears normal physically. Strange for three sensors to fail so it all points to the board.

I'd like to find an old board and substitute it rather than go through TM.

Any ideas very welcome.

This fella repairs WH throttle boards .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=225797

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2