what are essential controls for the Huey?

jozeff

Hi guys,

Still struggling to set op my controls for the Huey and my thrustmaster warthog....

I tried several profiles for TARGET but there are a lot of bindings for views that I don't use because I fly vr exclusively.

There is a profile available for vr and Target but I don't like the script editor because it's too complicated for my needs.

I like separate profiles that I load into dcs in the right category so keyboard, throttle and joystick. Is anyone willing to share their profiles/bindings ( no TARGET files..) that I can use?

I'm also looking for an overview of all necessary key bindings for the Huey. There are hundreds of bindings available in dcs but I'd like to bind just those that are essential in vr. The navigation and radios are easier to operate by mouse clicks in VR.

So, which keys should I bind in dcs for my Huey? An overview would be awesome so that I can finally start flying.

Thanks a lot!!

Jozeff

1. Nuke TARGET from orbit and then relieve yourself on its ashes.

2. Trim, radio PTTs, weapon release, possibly spotlight controls (although there's no point in those until the lighting engine is fixed), engine start.

That's about it. The Huey is a very simple aircraft in terms of controls. If you don't have pedals, you probably want a solution for that — preferably one that binds to an axis — and in the WH's case that would probably be a candidate for the left throttle handle. The actual throttle axis is used at startup (where you are just as well served by keyboard or button shortcuts), and in emergencies (where all you want is to rapidly reduce it to zero, again not something you particularly need an entire axis to do).

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Ok thanks, thats it?

There a a lot more controls needed I guess?

I have pedals so that's no problem.

So you advice not to use target? I have the feeling that it's quite heavy on CPU or something.....

Why does everyone use target if dcs has good options to bind controls?

I don't use TARGET with my Wathog HOTAS :smartass:

But it's extremely powerful and can do things like on/off commands for the throttle switches, that you can't do in DCS without altering game files.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Ok thanks, thats it?

There a a lot more controls needed I guess?

There are obviously lots more controls, but none that aren't more easily or readily done with a mouse in VR. Depending on where you are in your learning curve, you might want to bind the rotor RPM warning silencing switch to a button as well :P

The rest is really up to what kind of missions you fly. If you intend to fly a lot of direct combat, you might want flare release bound; if you only ever intend to do a bunch of sling loading, then iirc there are a couple of switches on the collective that could be handy too. But as a baseline, I'd say that yes, those controls are all you need.

So you advice not to use target? I have the feeling that it's quite heavy on CPU or something.....
Yes, TARGET is just a horrible mess and a headache that you simply don't need 99% of the time. Sure, it lets you do some fancy switch work-arounds for modules that don't offer that on their own, but tbh, you're better off learning to do custom bind files to solve that issue — DCS fully offers functionality to do that kind of switch magic (it's how modules such as the A-10 do it already), but it's simply not exposed on the binds page. I can't immediately find it right now, but if you look around a bit, you should be able to find extensive guides on how to create such bind files.

In particular, the moment you want to do something fancy, TARGET will try to create virtual input devices that has the special-function buttons and axes you need in order to replicate some specific behaviour, and this almost always results in you having fewer actual buttons — i.e. less functionality — to play with. Any fancy setup also create a mess whenever you want to experiment with or transfer different setups: rather than have a static WH Throttle device that you rebind as needed, you get a new virtual device every time you adjust anything, and you now have to rebind that device from the ground up and/or hope that you can reload old profiles, which is far from guaranteed. You cripple your ability to bind stuff to create a function that DCS most likely already supports, albeit through slightly more obscure means.

Really, the only thing you can't do is manipulate the WH lights — have them light up to indicate AB stages or in response to switch positions — but that's such a marginal feature, and it's 100% pointless if you're in VR.

Why does everyone use target if dcs has good options to bind controls?
Because the DCS options are not entirely obvious, and because the really good options are completely obscured. It's only good if you take the time to really dive into the binding code, and as horrible as TARGET is, it's still slightly more user-friendly than that.

It could also just be a matter of history: TARGET has been around since an era when it was needed. Now that it no longer is, many are still used to using it even when better options are available.

All that said, TARGET is a relic of an era when joysticks were keyboard extensions or strictly limited DX Input controllers. It has no place in a device ecosystem where everything is HID compliant and can have arbitrary numbers of inputs. It needs to die a horrible death and be replaced with an expanded in-game bind functionality (eg. exposing the ability to bind button releases) similar to what third-party launcher for BMS have offered for ages. So the best tip of all is to try to lean on ED to add that feature to the game ;)

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Wow, tippis!

This is, by far, the best advice on TARGET that I have ever read.

Thanks so much for convincing me to drop the whole target experience!

I'll dive into the bindings that d s had to offer.

Dobi need bindings to trim the heli or olis trim only possible by using the force trim option?

Can I use my warthog lever/button(s4) as a shift/Ctrl key bindings?

Cheers

Thx!

Jozeff

Jozrff

@jozeff

I agree that TARGET isn't needed at all.

For the Huey (and any other DCS modules), I think that a headtracking system is a must (I don't care which kind).

If you combine that with a mouse, there's no need to bind 99% of the controls.

However, binding certain essential things comes in pretty handy, here's my list (off the top of my head):

- Trimmer & trimmer reset

- Starter (it's bound to the Home key by default, I think)

- Weapon selector switch

- Pilot & copilot aiming sights (sight deployment + reticle activation)

- Flare dispense

- AI gunner ROE cycle (if you want to get the door gunners firing automatically without having to leave the pilot's seat)

- In my case, since I use Simple Radio Standalone, I also have the radio switcher bound to a thrust handle key, so I can quickly switch radios in order to speak to people on different frequencies.

Edited by Hardcard

In addition to the previous binds, I suggest you bind Kneeboard On/Kneeboard Next and Prev Page/Kneeboard Mark Position as well, since you rely on a map and dead reckoning for most navigation in the Huey. I find time accelerate is nice to have on the HOTAS too when you're replaying a mission for the 8th time and don't want to spend 30 mins travelling to point B.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Ok thanks Guys!

Is it better to l Ave the key combo's alone in dcs and set up my joysticks directly in dcs or...

Alter the key bindings so that I can use joy2key for assigning a shift, Ctrl or alt key to a joystick button? This gives me a lot of possible combinations to bind to let's say the hat of my joystick. I'll have to change some key bindings in dcs however.

Any advice on that?

Thanks a lot!

Jozeff

@jozeff

- In my case, since I use Simple Radio Standalone, I also have the radio switcher bound to a thrust handle key, so I can quickly switch radios in order to speak to people on different frequencies.

I know it is like that in real life but you know there is an easier way to solve this with a 4-way switch and SRS Settings option "Radio select switch acts as PTT button"? Just asking, wave me off if you don't care... :smartass:

About controls:

What I mainly use: Trim and Trim Reset :lol: aaand you can pretty much get away with just that if you are going to be flying around.

You can map the weapon release button and the radio trigger

Countermeasure release as well, maybe a button to switch between guns and rockets if you want to.

What else ? If you can setup a button to switch between the radios, that can be helpful, but a lot more helpful will be if the Huey FINALLY GOT MULTICREW so your co-pilot can deal with the comms and navigation.

Gun Sights/NVGs, autopilot settings and gunner settings. Most of these I use the keyboard for.

Personally I have the Trim, Trim Reset, Flare, Weapon Release and Radio Trigger mapped, everything else I use the keyboard for

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I only map comms and combat related stuff.

Master Arm

Rocket/Gun Select

Number of Rockets to Launch Setting

Gun Sight power

Gun Sight

Co-pilot cycle thru Hold(Pilot Fires Weapons)/Return Fire/Free Fire

Left and Right Door Gunners cycle thru Hold/Return Fire/Free Fire

Release Flares

Most other stuff i just click on in the cockpit while in route. VR makes it so much easier to click on things in the cockpit I don't really need much mapping.

slyfly

It depends on your needs.

Personally I love the target programme, its output is as reliable as the sun coming up in the morning.

In target and in my KA-50 and MI-8 I can switch between dropping a flare every 2 seconds for 15 seconds to 1 flare every 1 seconds for 12 seconds to dumping flares constantly until I command it to stop.... I can do this with a single click of a hat switch on my throttle. I can then relax and watch the flare control unit reset and then insta press 15 switches in the correct sequence ready for me to deploy flares exactly how I want them deployed. Hell I been yanking and banking and working the pit hard whilst letting my lovely target take a little more strain off of a really bad day in the office.

Target always allows the toggle switches on the base of the throttle to work as you desire.

but I digress,

Trim

Trim reset

targeting sight deploy/store

Targetting sight cross hair adjust

weapon release

flare deploy/stop

weapon control panel Rocket/guns

weapon control panel Rocket salvo

I like to crank up the engine/rotor RPM when needed (governor RPM switch up and down)... A very handy switch to have when a fellas in a tight spot.

most of the other stuff can be set with the mouse before take off.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Ok Guys, wonderful stuff!

Are the commands in dcs named exactly as you mentioned above? I get confused by the 100s of commands in dcs ....

I discovered that I can assign modifier buttons in in dcs ????

Is there a special "trim a little up or down" function or is this done by trimmer disable, pulling the stick a bit and enable trim buttun again?

I'm trying to set my coolie hat to shift, r-shift, Ctrl, r-ctrl and then assign as many functions to my hat switch on the joystick. Is that a good idea?

Thanks again guys!!

Jozeff

That is mostly a fixed wing trim method, altough for instance the Mi-24 has both trim device on stick, button and 4way hat. In the Huey you find a new position of the stick, press trim, and it's gonna be held there in reral life. In DCS however, it's a bit more tricky, you press the trim, then release the stick back to neutral within I guess half a second, and there you have your new neutral position. But for a stable and muscle free flight, you have to do it actually constantly. For me it's much easier like that, than trying to keep the stick in different offset positions during the whole flight.

I discovered that I can assign modifier buttons in in dcs ????

Is there a special "trim a little up or down" function or is this done by trimmer disable, pulling the stick a bit and enable trim buttun again?

I'm trying to set my coolie hat to shift, r-shift, Ctrl, r-ctrl and then assign as many functions to my hat switch on the joystick. Is that a good idea?

There are individual trim functions that are usually set to the trim/PoV hat.

As for the coolie hat, weeeeeell…

Of course you can use it to create various control states, and whether that's a good idea or not depends entirely on how much you want balance being able control things via the hotas against how “real” you want the setup to be. And also against how much if it you'll be able to remember — once you get into heavy state switching, it quickly becomes easy to forget exactly what button combo does what thing and you're right back at it being easier to just manipulate it in the cockpit with the mouse.

That said, as for binding things, there is absolutely no need to set your hat to any kind of key input. That would yet again require a translation layer of some kind (or… yuck… using TARGET) which is just in every way worse than what's already built into DCS. Instead, if you want to do that, just press the “Modifiers” button on the bind screen to get to the (surprise!) Modifiers screen. Here, you can set up buttons as modifiers (to be pressed momentarily in combination with some other input) or switches (that act as toggles so you press it once to change to a completely different input mapping, and press again to return to normal).

For your purposes, you'd probably want to set up coolie hat left/right/up/down as individual modifiers, at which point you can then go back and bind for instance Coolie Hat Left + Trigger as the searchlight on/off input.

But I stress again: forget any antiquated notion of binding joysticks to key inputs. There is absolutely no need for that kind of 1990s solution any more, and anything that “helps” you do that can and should be ignored because it's just a bad interpretation layer that will break in new and horrible ways.

there is an easier way to solve this with a 4-way switch and SRS Settings option "Radio select switch acts as PTT button"?

Interesting, I'll try it, thanks.

Although I'm not sure it's going to work well on all aircraft.

When do you use Trim reset?

I do not see in which situation do you need to literally reset the trim instead of re-trimming. Can you explain maybe?

In my case, I use trim reset in the following situations:

- When I need my full climb ability in mountainous areas

I usually trim cyclic and rudder when cruising, so altitude, heading and speed remain kind of constant.

The problem with this, however, is that it drastically reduces climbing ability.

I guess that this has something to do with the rotor mast being tilted forward when the cyclic is trimmed for cruise...

In any case, when flying in mountainous regions, I usually find that my "trimmed climb rate" simply doesn't cut it (regardless of how much collective I apply).

So the quickest and easiest way of getting my full climb ability back is by simply resetting the trimmer, which instantly increases my climb rate (at the cost of speed, ofc).

In other words, resetting the trimmer instantly restores climb influence to the collective.

- When I need to drop quickly

I've found that the quickest and easiest way for the chopper to drop (when it's trimmed for cruise) is by resetting the trimmer and (almost) killing the collective.

It drops like a brick, which is exactly what I need when an emergency landing is required (they are usually required in MP).

Also, as I mentioned earlier, having the trim reset restores lift influence to the collective, so it delivers all the lift it's supposed to... no funny trim business :D

This also helps me avoid vortex ring state and gives me much better control of the descent.

Edited by Hardcard

As a Peter pilot , i have found this thread very useful . Thanks for everyone's input , and to the OP for initiating it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2