Firing AAMRAM into a merge

dramabeats

Been noticing a lot of this lately in MP. Often times, when firing an aamram at an enemy with a friendly nearby, if the enemy gets splashed before the missile arrives, the aamram will simply pickup a new target

Is this behavior accurate? Shouldn't the 120C be datalinked?

Due to this I carry two sparrows on the cheek stations

The AMRAAM is not datalinked in DCS and the behaviour you described is accurate and correct.

The AMRAAM will target a friendly if it loses lock on the bandit for what ever reason if the friendly is close enough to where the bandit went missing.

It's exactly the reason why you should carry Sparrows with you as you mentioned for just such a scenario.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

AFAIK, IRL the datalink is maintained until impact, if possible. That way, the chances of incidents like that happening are minimized and the missile can track much better, since it's receiving data both from its own radar and the aircraft's radar. Notching is also more difficult, for the same reason.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

This never happened to me before in F-15s

This is hornet specific but was moved out of the f-18 forum by a mod..

Its not Hornet exclusive. It also happens on all Fox 3 fighter jet. I did team killing numerous times in the Eagle with 120 due to my stupidity for not realizing there were friendlies nearby.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze