Programming PP Mode for JDAMs in Hornet

larsony99

Hello all. I'm not sure if this is a bug, an oversight, or how the jet acts in the real world. I have an issue when I program my JDAMs in PP mode. Essentially, if I program the target coordinates and elevation and then deselect my JDAMs in the stores page (or generally navigate away from the JDAM Display page), the programming is lost. Gone. I like to program them on the ground, and when the programming disappears it becomes very frustrating.

Am I doing something wrong, is this a bug, or is this how it's "supposed" to act?

Edit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hfk9vzwH_OqCVvrfRDkzOn-ob_yjwnXH/view?usp=sharing

Second track file: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4264564&postcount=19

Edited by ilarson007
added track file

Are you sure that its the same JDAM? Each station has its own set of coordinates so its possible that you are simply seeing another station that hasnt been programmed yet.

This is when I intentionally program 4 different target points, one on each station.

Check the JDAM sticky above and it should give you details on how it should work. I believe you can avoid what you're seeing, but you have to do it in a certain way.

I think that sticky is incorrect or outdated, because STEP doesn't work that way today.

Stay safe

File size is too large.

I fixed the link.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I can't replay it, it needs A4 module which I don't have. Please upload a simple track file with you entering one coordinate and showing how it gets deleted so we can all take a look. Just like I did the testing before, just put an F18 and do the steps and I'll watch it. Thanks.

Stay safe

I can't replay it, it needs A4 module which I don't have. Please upload a simple track file with you entering one coordinate and showing how it gets deleted so we can all take a look. Just like I did the testing before, just put an F18 and do the steps and I'll watch it. Thanks.
That's what I thought I did. So I have to uninstall my mods just to upload a track file?

That's what I thought I did. So I have to uninstall my mods just to upload a track file?

No sir, just make a simple mission of one F18, so you can jump on it and show us the issue. Just don't put any A4 or other mod in the mission. This should take you 2 or 3 minutes tops.

Stay safe

No sir, just make a simple mission of one F18, so you can jump on it and show us the issue. Just don't put any A4 or other mod in the mission. This should take you 2 or 3 minutes tops.

I can't get the issue to replicate in an instant action mission where I'm ready on the ramp.

Here you go. I didn't even finish spooling 2 and the programs were gone.

I didn't watch the track yet, but if you were still starting up the aircraft that's not the way to go. Maybe the Gen Tie is working wrong in DCS or maybe it has an energy loss for one or two seconds. Just wait until you finish with the two engines.

Stay safe

I didn't watch the track yet, but if you were still starting up the aircraft that's not the way to go. Maybe the Gen Tie is working wrong in DCS or maybe it has an energy loss for one or two seconds. Just wait until you finish with the two engines.
That's the point. I don't want to be wasting 10 minutes of gas sitting on the ground progressing these things. So in our group we have been getting everything going on ground power and then starting up.

That's the point. I don't want to be wasting 10 minutes of gas sitting on the ground progressing these things. So in our group we have been getting everything going on ground power and then starting up.

Well, I can't help you with that then. You will have to study the electrical system and see if the real aircraft indeed is able to store PPs before engines startup. Then if the real thing can, you can open a bug report for ED. Ground power is very complex and might be something we are missing here.

Stay safe

Ground power is something that, afaik, is only used by ground crew for testing.

So they don't connect ground power for alert 5? Wouldn't the battery go dead pretty quick just sitting on the deck without the APU or engines running?

Well, I can't help you with that then. You will have to study the electrical system and see if the real aircraft indeed is able to store PPs before engines startup. Then if the real thing can, you can open a bug report for ED. Ground power is very complex and might be something we are missing here.

My assumption in real life is that they use a data cartridge to load all this information in, so it probably doesn't matter IRL what they do. But with DCS, I don't want to burn 1k lbs of fuel just sitting programming stuff.