[DISCUSSION] F/A-18C ATFLIR progress

bennyboy9800

In lieu of recent reports that we won't be getting the Litening II cheek station option for the Hornet, how far along is the ATFLIR, and what can we expect its capabilities to be compared to the Litening.

This thread is aimed at a comprehensive response from Wags or Nineline but any an all input is welcome. I'm really looking forwards to realistic US Navy Hornet loudouts, and right now that is not possible with the Litening II.

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS

wel if you want a "realistic" loadout, most US Navy fighters don't carry any tgp on most flights.

Also, can you link me to the announcement that we won't get the cheek station option for the literning, I haven't seen that.

Really?

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

AFAIK the ATFLIR was frozen as they don't have enough data to simulate or model it. And I hope that they will start to model all the shakes, gimbal speed limits, inaccuracies, low resolution etc in all targeting pods as well.

Now all are way too effective and useful, rendering them all overpowered.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

AFAIK the ATFLIR was frozen as they don't have enough data to simulate or model it.

Do you have a source for that? I believe they have plenty of resources to model the basic functionality of the pod (FLIR page had half of the ATFLIR symbology before the LITENING was added).

Didn't they say that they want to introduce it with the new IR tech they are working on?

Edited by BarTzi

wel if you want a "realistic" loadout, most US Navy fighters don't carry any tgp on most flights.

Also, can you link me to the announcement that we won't get the cheek station option for the literning, I haven't seen that.

Here you go, some digging in the comments of the walleye video is required.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254590&page=4

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

AFAIK the ATFLIR was frozen as they don't have enough data to simulate or model it. And I hope that they will start to model all the shakes, gimbal speed limits, inaccuracies, low resolution etc in all targeting pods as well.

I haven't heard that, most recent info I've seen regarding the ATFLIR suggests its coming, they just haven't said when.

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

Same, I've never heard or read anything regarding lack of info for the ATFLIR. It also wouldn't make sense, they wouldn't start a USN Hornet if they couldn't implement the fuselage-mounted ATFLIR, it's one of the key features of USN Hornets.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Here you go, some digging in the comments of the walleye video is required.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254590&page=4

Didn't Wags also state that (due to community backlash) they'd think about adding the ability to attach the TGP on a cheek station even though it was unrealistic?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

If you search in the right places, you can find evidence of (1) a cheek adapter for the Litening pod, (2) that it indeed can go on the cheek with the adapter. Unfortunately, if I link to this evidence ED will likely delete it because it is military information newer than 1980, even though it is publicly accessible.

There is video evidence of US marine hornets using litening on the cheek station:

That looks like an ATFLIR to me.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I remember that they once said: after the completion of the new FLIR system, the development of atflir will be carried out. Maybe we can hear from it by the end of 2020

Yeah this is the plan as far as I know as well. But all things subject to change and all that.

I mainly want the A/A functionality of the pods.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You're confusing the ATFLIR with the Sniper for the F-16

I don’t think the question is: if usmc hornets can or do carry LITENING on 4? It’s did lot 20 C circa mid 2000s carry it? I’m highly doubtful they did at that time, the references I’ve seen of that practice are much more recent and involve A+ rebuilt jets, which have many capabilities our hornet does not.

ED initially was against allowing us to have LITENING at all since they specifically choose a USN equipped version of the aircraft. However they consented, not for gameplay purposes, but rather because of the possible scenario of a USN lot 20 C circa mid 2000s operated from shore, which they were from time to time, in conjunction with USMC squadrons, in that case they would use what’s available. Ergo LITENING, ergo we have it. It’s realistic based on the way the jet was used at that time by that operator.

But besides all that, why would you want too? ATFLIR is way better then the version of LITENING we have in game. I don’t understand why someone would want a less capable pod. The second ATFLIRs available I’m done using it. We (and USMC IRL) only use it because it’s all there is right now.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I would disagree with that statement, it depends on the context, but in any high threat or wartime situation almost EVERY flight is going to have an LPOD in it. Each aircraft in the flight might not have one but someone in the flight definitely will.

The counter-air missions require it for ROE purposes, and the strike missions need it for much of the same reason. Even if a target is ground designated its common practice for the pilot use LSS or slave the LPOD to the TGT point so he/she can see what's going on and verify he/shes shooting right.

In fact the only time I can see them not carrying it is for SEAD missions where its unnecessary and the station is better served with another MRM. Peacetime however its only carried when needed. So in that sense you'd be more or less correct in saying that.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer: