QUESTION- using DMT when you have a TPOD installed

mcmike

I have not been able to get this straight in my head and am hoping someone can clarify for me.....if you have a TPOD mounted (with all its features fully working), then isn't the DMT on the Harrier redundant for targeting? I guess the DMT would still be needed for FLIR, but other than that, could you basically disable the DMT and just use TPOD?

CPU:i7920 @2.67GHz overclocked to 3.25Ghz

Video:ATI HD5780 Single Monitor

Ram:8 GB DDR3

Equipment:TrackIR4, Buttkicker2Gamer,CH ProFlight Pedals, Saitek X65 Controller

I have not been able to get this straight in my head and am hoping someone can clarify for me.....if you have a TPOD mounted (with all its features fully working), then isn't the DMT on the Harrier redundant for targeting? I guess the DMT would still be needed for FLIR, but other than that, could you basically disable the DMT and just use TPOD?

I believe the dmt is needed to provide the necessary release cues on the hud. The tpod by its self will not provide the steering line or time until release.

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

The TGP isn't integrated into the targeting computer. It's essentially a very expensive telescope lol

Pretty much lol, although the dmt still has the ability to slave to the tgp as long as the tgp is set to TDC. The problem is that it will not update the dmt position (and therefore all necessary cueing) if the tgp is in point track and following a moving vehicle, requiring the pilot to unlock then recapture the target closer to time of release to make the cues as accurate as possible.

I'm not sure though if this is a bug or if that's how it works irl.

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

Pretty much lol, although the dmt still has the ability to slave to the tgp as long as the tgp is set to TDC. The problem is that it will not update the dmt position (and therefore all necessary cueing) if the tgp is in point track and following a moving vehicle, requiring the pilot to unlock then recapture the target closer to time of release to make the cues as accurate as possible.

I'm not sure though if this is a bug or if that's how it works irl.

I think Zeus is still looking into if that is the correct behavior or not. I can't remember specifics but there was a contradiction in info which suggested that the DMT should be able to track a moving object. So hopefully it will be a feature :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think Zeus is still looking into if that is the correct behavior or not. I can't remember specifics but there was a contradiction in info which suggested that the DMT should be able to track a moving object. So hopefully it will be a feature :thumbup:

Good to know! :D

The TGP isn't integrated into the targeting computer. It's essentially a very expensive telescope lol

To be honest, the current Litening IV pod is completely integrated into the AV-8B NA/PLUS systems and it has made the ARBS/DMT redundant in the NA thanks to its FLIR and laser designation capability. But before that, yeah. It was pretty much that.

In fact the Litening II pod, the one modeled here, was considered as a special kind of Maverick by the AV-8B NA/PLUS systems.

Unfortunately, since the Litening IV pod is currently in use, its documentation is still restricted. BTW, one of the new features it has is that it can remotely managed by the FAC in the ground, who then uses it to designate targets for the pilot to engage.

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

To be honest, the current Litening IV pod is completely integrated into the AV-8B NA/PLUS systems and it has made the ARBS/DMT redundant in the NA thanks to its FLIR and laser designation capability. But before that, yeah. It was pretty much that.

In fact the Litening II pod, the one modeled here, was considered as a special kind of Maverick by the AV-8B NA/PLUS systems.

Unfortunately, since the Litening IV pod is currently in use, its documentation is still restricted. BTW, one of the new features it has is that it can remotely managed by the FAC in the ground, who then uses it to designate targets for the pilot to engage.

That's awesome!... someday :pilotfly:

one of the new features it has is that it can remotely managed by the FAC in the ground, who then uses it to designate targets for the pilot to engage.

Is that right?

How lazy are pilots these days? :lol:

Anything that reduces my heads down time in DCS is a good thing :thumbup:

Was I right in what I said about the DMT tracking Zeus?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spent yesterday afternoon playing with self lasing, then recovering from whatever the plane had decided to do when i was heads down.... Autopilot will be greatly appreciated when it materialises.

I find the tpod so much easier to use than the dmt. The slew rate on the dmt is soooo slow it hurts.