F-16 Mini-Updates?

Donut

maybe yes. but are the "How to..." clips are made anyway by the community?

what we get by mini updates is a raw view into developement by a memebr of the team that is as close to it as it can be. that's why I love mini updates.

since I'm using stable DCS I've learned patience anyway. To see how such development takes its steps to a finished module is worth much more for me than buying a complete plane and go to 100% perfectly designed "how to"'s that are eventually done anyway by pros out of the community. which I like too, btw.

so mini updates add something for me. they should not be replaced by something that we get anyways.

Might not be a popular suggestion, but given the constant “noise floor” on the Hornet, perhaps it would be better to do “How To...” videos AFTER a feature is live in the Viper instead of “Here’s how “X” should work if it makes it into the next update (and the ensuing pitchforks when “X” doesn’t go live...)

I mean, even Chuck doesn’t produce his excellent guides based on “If”

The community as a whole needs to learn patience and understand stuff happens. I can only name one other developer in the gaming industry (might be more) that communicates with the community, and provides updates frequently and timely.

In a perfect community, the community would be happy with what they got, appreciate the effort of the developers. Not bust out the pitchforks when something broke, or a soft deadline was busted.

I'm just a peon who doesn't know how ED works behind the doors. With that, my thoughts are that ED should work on a patch schedule. It works for another community, patches come every 13 weeks. That is the heavy stuff, new content kind of stuff if you're not familiar with iRacing. They still have little quick fixes that may roll out from time to time in that 13 week span. I don't know if 13 weeks would work for ED but something might. Now I'll take my opinion and place it somewhere. :thumbup:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

How about that first F-16 Mini-Update? : )

+1

Is it me, or does there seem to be a lot less hype and promotion for the F-16?

5 months before the release of the Hornet, we had 21 Mini-Updates and the Preflight, Startup, Taxi, and Takeoff video.

Here we are 1 month after the start of the presale and 4 months before the end of early autumn and we don't have anything...

Hopefully I am just being overly worried, but I thought the F-16 was in a far more advanced state than the Hornet was at the same stage.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

+1

Is it me, or does there seem to be a lot less hype and promotion for the F-16?

5 months before the release of the Hornet, we had 21 Mini-Updates and the Preflight, Startup, Taxi, and Takeoff video.

Because the Hornet was already under development for multiple years at that point, while development for the F-16 has just been started last year.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Once we have interesting things to show, I will certainly start the videos. For now though, much of the work is code-based that does not translate to a video.

Thanks

Thank you for the update.

Because the Hornet was already under development for multiple years at that point, while development for the F-16 has just been started last year.

That makes sense. I just don't understand the development process, as I am having trouble seeing years of developement for one aircraft be condensed into months for another. I suppose that I am just significantly underestimating how much the work on the Hornet is contributing to and expediting the development of the F-16.

• ED Team
Thank you for the update.

That makes sense. I just don't understand the development process, as I am having trouble seeing years of developement for one aircraft be condensed into months for another. I suppose that I am just significantly underestimating how much the work on the Hornet is contributing to and expediting the development of the F-16.

As mentioned before, many of the processes, APIs, and other tech developed for the Hornet has allowed us to much more rapidly develop the Viper. Our systems team is also much larger than it was during initial Hornet systems development.

Thanks

Once we have interesting things to show, I will certainly start the videos. For now though, much of the work is code-based that does not translate to a video.

Thanks

Are we going to at least get to see the F-16 trailer sometime soon?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As mentioned before, many of the processes, APIs, and other tech developed for the Hornet has allowed us to much more rapidly develop the Viper. Our systems team is also much larger than it was during initial Hornet systems development.

Thanks

Thank you for the in depth information. Very good stuff to hear!

Are we going to at least get to see the F-16 trailer sometime soon?

This might be a better question for Glowing Amraam since he is making it. I imagine we would see Mini-Updates start before we see the trailer since the trailer would most likely show the F-16 in it's near early access release form with as many features and weapons showcased as possible.

yeahhhhh

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yippee!!! Very excited and happy to see the start of the official Viper Mini-Updates! Thank you!

Wags,

I hope my understanding of your comment about dates and time frames is correct in that I interpret it as pertaining to delays in features/systems/weapons and not the early autumn release of the aircraft itself...

Yippee!!! Very excited and happy to see the start of the official Viper Mini-Updates! Thank you!

Wags,

I hope my understanding of your comment about dates and time frames is correct in that I interpret it as pertaining to delays in features/systems/weapons and not the early autumn release of the aircraft itself...

Even the aircraft's anticipated release date can slip. It all depends on if it is in a state ED deems appropriate for release into EA.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I personally love the mini-updates and wag's mention about how they've been trying to be open and honest about where they are with updates.. Wags, or anybody else on the team that reads this - I for one am loving the information that's been coming to us over the last mentioned two years. It certainly gives a a little perspective about why certain features might take longer than expected. In the long run.. it's generally worth the wait.

Definitely looking forward to the F-16. Will be nice to see how the sim interprets the differences between it and the bug, despite their similar capacity for destructive purposes.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.