Unable to acquire a GPS position

xvii-Dietrich

At the moment, I am unable to get any GPS position with the NS-430. I have tried the L-39C (using both the 3D model and the overlay modes of the NS-430) and the C-101CC (overlay only). My procedure is this:

1. Enter the aircraft and start it to get power

2. Turn the ".C" power knob to start the NS-430

3. Press "ENT" twice to get past the start-up screens

4. At this point there is the map with "NO GPS POSITION" in large friendly letters.

I have checked the manual and forums and have seen some comments saying that I need to wait for a while for it to warm up. I've done this (approx. 5 mins) but it doesn't seem to change.

I have attached a sample track file.

I am using DCS v2.5.4.29079

Any suggestions on what I am doing incorrectly? :helpsmilie:

server-20190330-115310.trk

Any suggestions on what I am doing incorrectly? :helpsmilie:

Looks like a bug or WIP, testing in a L-39C (gun sight removed/NS430 enabled), the NS430 acquired a GPS signal once I started the engine (a requirement for FC3 aircraft or the 2D popup in the F-5, etc ).

However, once a GPS signal was acquired, I could shutdown the L-39C (Throttle --> STOP, all switches off) and only needed the battery switch ON for the 3D NS430 to acquire a signal a second time.

Tested DCS 2.5.4.29079 Open Beta

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

No. I was the sole occupant of the airport, but good idea. I once had a re-fuel issue because of exactly that issue.

Looks like a bug or WIP, testing in a L-39C (gun sight removed/NS430 enabled), the NS430 acquired a GPS signal once I started the engine (a requirement for FC3 aircraft or the 2D popup in the F-5, etc ).

Yes, that was it. I was starting the NS-430 while still on battery/external power. Once I started the engine the satellite signals could get through.

Many thanks for pointing out the work-around. Much appreciated! :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I was looking forward to giving the NS 430 a bash but I get the "NO GPS POSITION" message AND the cockpit goes dark! If I look down it brightens up and I can see everything, but look up and it goes dark. If I turn off the NS 430 all is well again. This is from a hot start with all power switches on. I tried it with a cold start and got the same thing.

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

I've been doing some testing on this ... If I grab the top left of the NS 430 window and expand the size the cockpit becomes lighter, shrink the window and the screen becomes darker!

BTW, something else - The NS 430 is not available in the Multi-threading beta of DCS. I have the NS 430 Navigation System for the L-39C but I do not have the NS 430 Navigation System part to run it. I bought the two parts seperately, if that makes a difference.

Edited by Nialfb

Game setup - I9-13900K, 3000 MHZ 24 Core 32 Logical Processors, NVIDIA RTX 4090, 42” ASUS 4K OLED monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM TPR Rudder pedals, HP Reverb G2 VR - soon to be Bigscreen VR

Hi

I tried the DCS Track but it doesn't even show the NS 430 being resized hence the video. I just did as per the video, exited the mission and his svae track so unless I'm missing something. Also, my mission is set to 2016.

Track attached. I created a new track but, as previously, you can't see me resizing the navigation window but you can do it yourself in the track.

Navigation.trk

On 4/7/2023 at 10:49 PM, Nialfb said:

I was looking forward to giving the NS 430 a bash but I get the "NO GPS POSITION" message

Looking at your track and the options it uses - Unrestricted GPS isn't set, so this isn't an error when flying a Russian L-39C with NS430

• Russian aircraft do not have access to western GPS satellites (in DCS) unless Unrestricted SATNAV is enabled in DCS\Options\Gameplay or enforced in the Mission Editor.

DCS\Options\Gameplay
Western_GPS_Available_to_all_coalitions.jpg

"Unrestricted GPS" enforced in the Mission Editor
MissionEditor-EnforedUnrestrictedSATNAV,Screen_230410_003532.jpg

On 4/8/2023 at 1:03 AM, Nialfb said:

The NS 430 is not available in the Multi-threading beta of DCS.

This is a known issue with the Multi-thread preview build and effects all modules that use the NS430.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:03 AM, Nialfb said:

If I grab the top left of the NS 430 window and expand the size the cockpit becomes lighter, shrink the window and the screen becomes darker!

IIRC it's caused by one of the GFX settings, I don't recall the details, so you might need to experiment a bit.

Tested using Single Thread Open Beta 2.8.3.38090

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'll take a look at the GFX settings as things have moved on since I last looked.

A quick update ... The NS 430 is now working as expected other than the datrk/light thing. If anyone has any idea regarding what setting might be effecting this I'd be glad to hear. Im running the NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090. My current settings ...

image.png