New map idea: open water

Mr_sukebe

I'm conscious that we have carrier's already, more on the way, and 3 new carrier borne aircraft that we're about to get (Harrier, F14 and F18). Additionally, we have several helis.

So how about a map with nothing but water?

I can't help but think that the technology for the weather exists, so wouldn't it be virtually free to do?

Sure, might be nice to have some islands, but if we keep it ultra simple, then it should require virtually no effort at all. Would certainly be a nice freebie to include with any of the new aircraft.

Linked to the simplicity of the map, I would expect the graphics requirements to be pretty low (no buildings, trees etc). So could it also be pretty damn big, e.g. 500*500km, thus allowing some genuine cat and mouse between fleets.

• Like 2

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Wasn't Leatherneck/Heatblur already working on this at one point? It's still in the list of stuff to be included with the F-14. And from one of the Q&A's with Cobra

Q: Which theatre will be included with the F-14?

A: Very oceany. Very cold.

The F-14 Campaign will take place in this theatre.

Agree. Ocean with great weather and new clouds. And as bonus a superb framerate for VR! VERY WELCOME! Could it be free? Cause, content like carriers and other things are already priced. The servers can host the map for free. This was already a great discussion several community's after release of Nevada and Normandy. It's a big push for bying F-18 and carriers. From the perspective view from customers and from the view from the developer it's a win / win situation. The place can be picked by ED. :D

Customers can only start/land on carriers! Immersive demanding of skills!!! :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

at first i was like "wtf with this?" and then... this has a lot of sense, just water... a free piece of water, how much effort could it cost to do it??? its just water and water. Optional download like a free module and thats all. i look foward to this.

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Wasn't Leatherneck/Heatblur already working on this at one point? It's still in the list of stuff to be included with the F-14. And from one of the Q&A's with Cobra

I was just about to say the same: Heatblur is already working on such a map for their F-14.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I like the idea as well.

But I would just add one tiny island in the middle of the map. A simple, generic volcano island with one landing strip, maybe 3x5 km or so. That would multiply the possibilities imo, while only requiring a very small amount of work. Just think about "Capture the Flag" type of events which could allow even for non-fighter type aircraft some viable roles. And if you don't want that - well, just ignore that little speck of dirt ...

• Like 2

I like the idea as well.

But I would just add one tiny island in the middle of the map. A simple, generic volcano island with one landing strip, maybe 3x5 km or so. That would multiply the possibilities imo, while only requiring a very small amount of work. Just think about "Capture the Flag" type of events which could allow even for non-fighter type aircraft some viable roles. And if you don't want that - well, just ignore that little speck of dirt ...

My thoughts exactly. This would allow scenarios that include non-carrier aircraft as well. If the island is generic, costs to implement should remain small.

I like the idea as well.

Or have several island models in mission editor, ranging from sand bars to "airstrip + small harbor" size...speed 0 and alt 0, of course. This could be individual islands, or overlays showing accurate representations of several island chains.

<3 ocean idea!

The single island sounds appealing, but once you start, where to stop.

Let's keep the initial request extremely simple, just water. Should be dead easy to make, so hopefully both fast and free.

Maybe there can be a payable DLC to cover say the falklands and a little bit of Argentina.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Now that is a very good idea, and efficient.

If a single island, then what better than Midway :)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11n5YSmLmk8CprYl8wF8sELRwPIY&hl=en_US&ll=28.239749352783203%2C-177.3496210037689&z=13

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Search the wishlist. This is, by far, not the first time this idea has come up.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I doubt this is even technically feasible, if you look at the Normandy map there is terrain all around the edges of the map - even the english channel where it should be water to the edge.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

South China Sea, Spratly Islands, future scenario:music_whistling:

• Like 1

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I like the idea as well.

Now that is a very good idea, and efficient.

If a single island, then what better than Midway :)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11n5YSmLmk8CprYl8wF8sELRwPIY&hl=en_US&ll=28.239749352783203%2C-177.3496210037689&z=13

Midway would be good, along Wake Island and Johnston Atoll

The images below have the same scale:

WSJEbP2.jpg

XFexaoz.jpg

C91fA7t.jpg

Love the sea:D

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

I suggested this to Matt and Leatherneck last year and heard nothing... I said some where around a 1000 mile by 1000mile:smilewink:.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Another reason why there should be terrain mods allowed. Any decent modder could knock this out of the park. Worried about map sales? Attach the mod kit to a map so you have to purchase the map to have it modded. Similar to how modders have made the f18 flyable with the flaming cliffs avionics. Imagine an NTTR modded to include a rough coast line with Southern California water. Would probably double map sales.

• Like 1