Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Man, I’m failing to see any justification for the excitement here. Wags likes it. Cool. Besides that it’s a mid cycle update that brings the Rift in line with where their competitors were 18 months ago, literally a catch-up device to keep Rift relevant in a much more crowded field than in 2016. Other than brand loyalty, what’s the actual interest in the S?

For those with little money and older computers like me, that won't run the reverb or pimax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, Vega64 @1080p

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those with little money and older computers like me, that won't run the reverb or pimax

And that’s cool, I get that. But there have been similarly spec’d headsets out since 2017. Has everyone really just been waiting for Oculus to make one?

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

And that’s cool, I get that. But there have been similarly spec’d headsets out since 2017. Has everyone really just been waiting for Oculus to make one?

Kinda- they are the first to really bring it to the masses. There are compromises with all of these headsets. I've also been looking at the odyssey+ but of course I'm interested in new products too, and some reviewers have said the screen door effect is smaller in the rift s. For example, Acer just announced a headset that fits in this catagory too. I've been waiting for the ability to read gauges in VR before I pull the trigger. I can't afford to buy a new one every two years- or have multiple headsets like some others do, so when a cheaper headset comes out that does this stuff then yes I'm excited by it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600, Vega64 @1080p

Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

One last note: rolling out behind the boat, I had not problem seeing the ball.

Thanks

If you can....what about ampcd clarity in the Hornet?

Usually with odyssey+ until i zoom in it is only an unreadable mess (as it was with the original rift anyway)..to read something i have to disable map.

Thanks for everything and your hard work

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Sorry folks, but I am under NDA with Oculus and I've said about all I can.

Thanks

I would be interested if you could share with us your DCS, Nvidia and PD settings, especially on your 6700K computer.

Thanks.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I am sure there have been some like me that really like the Rift CV1 and the Oculus system, and have been hanging in there waiting for the next PC-VR headset from Oculus.

In my case though, I was rather disappointed in what they are bringing with the Rift S as I was hoping for a little more. I may well still get one, but will also very likely get another brand to compare.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am sure there have been some like me that really like the Rift CV1 and the Oculus system, and have been hanging in there waiting for the next PC-VR headset from Oculus.

In my case though, I was rather disappointed in what they are bringing with the Rift S as I was hoping for a little more. I may well still get one, but will also very likely get another brand to compare.

Exactly this. There is a lot to like about the Oculus system over and above just the hardware spec sheet, but the S just doesn't feel like much of an upgrade compared to the Reverb and the other higher res units popping up. If the S had the 2160 panels we would have jumped all over it, but it's clear their strategy is more about getting more people in at the bottom end, fair enough.

Personally I blame Nvidia more than Oculus for the lack of progress. The entry point for viable VR is still too expensive, where three years after release we might have predicted that a £150 graphics card would handle a Rift, but Nvidia has chosen to continue to charge high prices for little improvement in return for the gamer.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I'm a Rift CV1 owner since the beginning and I run it with an i7 6700k and 2070 RTX. I think higher resolution panel Is not the only thing to look at: I know of people with pimax dealing with crashes and unstable systems. Never had problems or a single ctd running dcs with Oculus. I play with pixel density 1.2 and I fear higher resolutions would be a stutter festival, even with the announced VR improvements. Rift s Is quite affordable and a good choice to replace my cv1, using the same super-stable Oculus environment. Yes, as everyone else I was hoping for foveated rendering and eye tracking, but none of the new headsets offers It, and to bet only on a hmd with a super resolution screen Is not the right choice imho.

For me it's bitter to see how Wag's statement is misused in the media around VR. It fulfills exactly what Facebook wanted, create some more fuzz about an HMD which is underwhelming at best and not even on par with HMD's from 2018 where "I can read EVERYTHING" was already possible in a much better quality the Rift S will never be able to achieve.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

i think the optimization is the biggest thing to look forward to, my old pimax 4k on a 1070ti and 10 year old pc allows me to read everything and see the ball even on low settings so being able to turn them up some is going to make a massive difference.

For me it's bitter to see how Wag's statement is misused in the media around VR. It fulfills exactly what Facebook wanted, create some more fuzz about an HMD which is underwhelming at best and not even on par with HMD's from 2018 where "I can read EVERYTHING" was already possible in a much better quality the Rift S will never be able to achieve.

I hadn’t realised that you’d tested one and can comment on the legibility whilst using a Rift S. Do tell us more.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Tested it @GDC and it's like many others say, compared to a 2016 HMD yes it's higher resolution than 1st generation but lacks color and contrast because of LCD. This is what we already got with 2018 HMD's, except Samsung Odyssey and VivePro which still deliver the better picture quality on top. The good thing is, Valve's HMD will come out very soon and will be the first that really is what VR for sims need, an upgrade on everything FOV, optics, panels, expandability and compability with other hardware.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Tested it @GDC and it's like many others say, compared to a 2016 HMD yes it's higher resolution than 1st generation but lacks color and contrast because of LCD. This is what we already got with 2018 HMD's, except Samsung Odyssey and VivePro which still deliver the better picture quality on top. The good thing is, Valve's HMD will come out very soon and will be the first that really is what VR for sims need, an upgrade on everything FOV, optics, panels, expandability and compability with other hardware.

Yeah I am very stoked for the Index, really looking forward to it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I was really disappointed with the Rift S announcement. I’d been holding out hope for a true Oculus 2nd gen headset with at least a substantial FOV increase, or something to differentiate it. Instead they’re releasing a WMR clone. That’s fine if people like the Oculus ecosystem and want to stay with it, and Oculus is smart not to ignore the middle, more budget oriented market. But specs are a higher priority for me with VR and the Rift S falls really far short of an upgrade justification. (I’d actually consider it a downgrade if I purchased the S.) In my opinion the S doesn’t dispel the growing concern that Oculus doesn’t care about the hardcore PC gaming market anymore.

I also agree that the existence of this sticky is just a Facebook quid pro quo to push a HMD that’s bordering on obsolete before it’s even released. One just has to look at all the non-sticky’d threads directly below this one to get really excited about new hardware.

Edited by Commodore

Have we seen specs on the Index yet? Aren't we still speculating on what it's going to bring besides the controllers and manual IPD? I'm hoping for the best as well, but I also want optimization before super high res panels. I'm not playing on something that's a stuttering mess just so I can read my altimeter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Have we seen specs on the Index yet? Aren't we still speculating on what it's going to bring besides the controllers and manual IPD? I'm hoping for the best as well, but I also want optimization before super high res panels. I'm not playing on something that's a stuttering mess just so I can read my altimeter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah but those earphones just look so sexy.

:smilewink:

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-wishlist/

I will say though I am strongly considering getting both - Index and Rift S. Rift S for my Oculus games/experiences and Index for flight sims.

Not positive yet but am considering.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Kinda- they are the first to really bring it to the masses. I can't afford to buy a new one every two years- or have multiple headsets like some others do, so when a cheaper headset comes out that does this stuff then yes I'm excited by it.

I definitely appreciate that. I built my rig in 2017 specifically for an Oculus “CV2”, more or less hoping they’d continue to lead the market. After more than a year of no news from them (on the PC front at least) I finally said screw it and bought the gen 1 Odyssey. That Oculus is just now releasing a comparable device (inferior in certain ways)- almost halfway through 2019 - is baffling to me.

Regarding price, some of the high res offerings that match or exceed the Rift S specs, including gen 1 Odyssey, can easily be found now for sub-$300. I’ve even seen the high res HP unit for ~$200.

Anyway, get what you want to get obviously. The more VR options available the better it is for everyone. Enjoy!

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

it is good news that the Oculus S is pretty readable that lower resolution and readability issue with my Vive is what keeps me from using it with DCS as i would like. The Oculus S is at a good price point for a full system which makes it it's pretty compelling. I think they displays could be a bit better, but still not too bad.

That said, there are a number of pretty good looking HMDs now that carry a price closer to the Oculus S with specs close to the Vive Pro which i just can't even start to justify purchasing.

For me personally, I'm not going to be purchasing a new HMD until a lot of the pending devices see daylight. I am holding out the most hope that Valve will get the Index right (or close enough) with a new 'system' that has the specs we would expect on a 2019 device but without an $800+ price tag.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

I'm thrilled of these days. I'm a cv1 user myself but i feeling more and more the need for higher res. The question for me is if the rift s bump in resolution will make it for me. For sure right now is the most affordable one what is always nice, but i'm still to make a decision on what to buy.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Rift S falls really far short of an upgrade justification. (I’d actually consider it a downgrade if I purchased the S.)

We can discuss about justification, but Rift s surely Is an upgrade over CV1, that's a matter of fact.

Have we seen specs on the Index yet? Aren't we still speculating on what it's going to bring besides the controllers and manual IPD?

Agree. Besides that, I've got 70 mm IPD but I've tried to move IPD from max to min in my cv1 and I can't perceive any significant difference while playing. Hardware vs software ipd adjustment Is Just like discussing about angels sex: of no practical significance.

Thanks for the preview Matt, Do you know if the upper camera is for controller tracking only and not headset tracking? I thought I read somewhere it was, and if that's the case I will just make a mount for PointCTRL that covers it.

Thanks,

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I have a CV1 with I7 7700k, 32Go RAM, GTX 1080Ti 11Go and running on SSD.

Yes, we all want higher resolution in the headset.

The question are:

- how much can we handle with our hardware.

- what cost.

Sure the HP Reverb makes me dream (especially because I praise higher angular resolution more than higher FoV), but I don't know if I will be able to run it, even if I switch for RTX 2080 Ti...

We don't need the higher resolution possible, we need the higher resolution we can handle without a nitrogen cooled CPU and GPU.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi