F-20 Tigershark project

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys but I haven't worked on the F-20 since October. I've realized that parts of my 3d model are wrong and I need to redo it and I just don't have the motivation anymore. Also with the release of the JF-17, it fills the same role of the F-20 and is a very similar plane. There are a couple 4th generation fighters in DCS now and the F-20 being a free mod just wouldn't be able to compete with them. I would rather focus my efforts on a mod that would be of more benefit to the DCS community.

With this said, I am not done with DCS mods and have several of my own personal projects that I switch around. Maybe some day I'll have one in a complete enough state to release but I'll make sure to not jump the gun like I did with the F-20 and how so many other modders have.

actually in the short term the F20 had some advantages the F16 did not.

More modern electronics: IEGlass cockpit and up front controller ( when comparing to F16A) , ANti shipping missiles, and Aim7 sparrows. Not even F16C's had Sparrow implemented ( except for the F16A ADF modification in the late 80s) and they didn't get BVR capability until AMRAAMS got integrated in a post gulf war in the early 90s.

Probably cost, also.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful news!

I have a special interest in the F-20, regardless of its comparative capability in DCS.

One of the cool details is that, despite only making 3 aircraft, they were not considered prototypes. They were full production units, intended for demonstration. Additional units intended for sale would have had no changes.

If I come across any info, I'll gladly pass it along!

Additional units intended for sale would have had no changes.

Not entirely true, the 3 built did not have the RWR or countermeasures installed, and the 4th one that they were building had increased internal fuel.

I'm more specifically looking for inboard profiles, i.e. has cross sectional drawings. In the image I posted you can see the sections L-L, N-N, J-J, etc.

F-20 would have been a wonderful plane.

I often wondered what would have happened had Israel accepted the F-20 instead of F-16D after the US forced it to shut down the IAI Lavi program. Politics kicked in, bribes changed hands, not enough bribes by Northrop it seems, and the F16D shot down and closed both the Lavi and the Tigershark without the use of any weapons.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

• 3 months later...

To be frank, I think there are a lot of people who would buy this plane as a full DCS module. Maybe you would and could think about working with a company who might be interested in making it real.The plane is old enough to have the materials and plans no longer be secret.

Opposed to the JF-17 this would be a blue force fighter, be sightly "older" and have more sex appeal than the JF-17 could ever have.

Alright, maybe not completely given up yet. I came across this inboard and it seems pretty legit. But it seems like its not the complete picture so if anyone finds something like this but more complete it would help a lot.

YSOTpSq.jpg

Do you have a manual or any documentation?

Hey guys I appreciate the support, but as I've posted before I am not actively working on this mod anymore.

I am more skilled in the code side of things so I have chosen to work on projects in which others do the 3d modeling and texturing. Maybe some day I'll get back to the Tigershark and learn better texturing techniques or someone will help me but for now I don't work on it very often.

Hey guys I appreciate the support, but as I've posted before I am not actively working on this mod anymore.

I am more skilled in the code side of things so I have chosen to work on projects in which others do the 3d modeling and texturing. Maybe some day I'll get back to the Tigershark and learn better texturing techniques or someone will help me but for now I don't work on it very often.

Sad to hear, but totally understandable. Wondering If the current status allows for a ALPHA release of the mod.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...