Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

In my experience Setting PD (or Oculus SS) to 2.5 is an enormous amount of pixels to push for that rig in VR. I have a similar setup (with the GPU and CPU OC’d) and run SS @ 1.4 with a mix of medium, low and high (water) textures, no shadows, no cockpit illumination, no traffic, no chimney smoke, trees 80%, 0 clutter, 8x AF, 2x MSAA. I have ASW set to auto and can run mostly at 80fps except over densely populated areas or areas where there’s a lot of action going on (especially MP) where ASW kicks in and locks frames to 40fps.

With PD set to 2.5 you’ll guarantee ASW is on all the time (40fps max) and even then it’ll struggle to maintain that hence why you see sub 40fps numbers. I’d recommend lowering the PD to something between 1.0-1.5 for VR based on settings you prefer until some form of VR optimization is implemented

So if settings are too high it’ll put ASW on? Mines locked at 40 with ASW on but when I turn it off it’s a mess, juddery. ASW is smooth as....however with it on I’m getting the ghosting effect.

Would lowering my settings enable me to run with it off whilst still maintaining smooth performance?

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headset cameras need a reasonable amount of room lighting and something to latch on to..plain walls can be a problem.

Really!? I use to fly with just a small table lamp (40W) (almost dark room), LOL.

I didn´t know that because I didn´t have any problem, the only thing "different" about my setup is that I use Guardian disabled.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Im having problems with DCS and my Rift S when i look around in the cockpit does not matter what aircraft it is its like the rift is focused on the HUD and when I look to the left of the HUD the HUD moves to left and right and when i look at the wings its like the whole cockpit moves either right or left any ideas how to fix ... ive messed with the IPD and the pixel settings and nothing

Had the exact same problem, it was due to the failure of the internal cameras. Tried everything to fix it, but in the end it turned out to be a faulty headset. Got a replacement from Oculus, and that solved the tracking issues.

Edited by Gaff

Had the exact same problem, its was due to the failure of the internal cameras. Tried everything to fix it, but in the end it turned out to be a faulty headset. Got a replacement from Oculus, and that solved the tracking issues.

Thanks I just sent a ticket in

If everything goes fine, Rift S will arrive by Wednesday. Can´t wait.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

If everything goes fine, Rift S will arrive by Wednesday. Can´t wait.

:thumbup:

Enjoy!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

any owners of former CV1? how is the transition?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

any owners of former CV1? how is the transition?

Kind of bitter/sweet, but for me the sweet outweighs and I am loving it.

Nice little bump in resolution, better image clarity. Solid software, great tracking. Decent performance in DCS - about on par with my CV1.

Pretty much plug and play. I have been using mine since May 24th pretty much every day.

I would not go back to CV1.

Audio strap is crap, but I prefer earbuds anyway and the sound is great using them.

So if one cares about good audio, earbuds or headphones would be needed.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Kind of bitter/sweet, but for me the sweet outweighs and I am loving it.

Nice little bump in resolution, better image clarity. Solid software, great tracking. Decent performance in DCS - about on par with my CV1.

Pretty much plug and play. I have been using mine since May 24th pretty much every day.

I would not go back to CV1.

Audio strap is crap, but I prefer earbuds anyway and the sound is great using them.

So if one cares about good audio, earbuds or headphones would be needed.

First day with CV1, back in May 2018, I unplugged the speakers, so never used them lol.

I plan to do the same with S. I will try two headphones, wired and wireless and will see which ones fit better with the new headband.

Having a couple of earbuds ready on Amazon basket, just in case ;)

What about Oculus software, is it the very same for both headsets?

First day with CV1, back in May 2018, I unplugged the speakers, so never used them lol.

I plan to do the same with S. I will try two headphones, wired and wireless and will see which ones fit better with the new headband.

Having a couple of earbuds ready on Amazon basket, just in case ;)

What about Oculus software, is it the very same for both headsets?

Yes same software.

Don B

Yes same software.

Thanks, sir!

Sudden RIFT S issues with DCS

I've had my Rift S set up now for about 3 weeks. It had been running great, love it! Then started it up on Sunday, fired up DCS and the sim seems to take forever to load. I keep seeing the floating hour glass more frequently. Menu finally comes up and I click on multiplayer and join a server. Again, takes longer than normal to load. Finally come to the screen where I can choose my aircraft, I do so and click briefing. Again, long wait and the hour glass pops up every 7 - 11 seconds. Finally, I'm in the jet. Cockpit and environment loads, still slow. Still getting the hour glass every 7 - 11 seconds, turn my head and half of what I see is black. So I delete some of the saved game files in DCS, restart my pc - no joy, same issue. I update drivers, restart - no joy, same issue. I uninstall the Oculus software and reinstall - no joy, same issue. I turned off VR and tried it in 2D on my monitor. It would load and then crash. Have any of you guys experienced this? Any suggestions on how to fix it? Again, this wasn't an issue a week ago, all of a sudden this started. Here are my system specs: Intel Core i7-8086K 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 32.0 GB RAM, 36.6 GB VRAM.

Thanks in advance

I've had my Rift S set up now for about 3 weeks. It had been running great, love it! Then started it up on Sunday, fired up DCS and the sim seems to take forever to load. I keep seeing the floating hour glass more frequently. Menu finally comes up and I click on multiplayer and join a server. Again, takes longer than normal to load. Finally come to the screen where I can choose my aircraft, I do so and click briefing. Again, long wait and the hour glass pops up every 7 - 11 seconds. Finally, I'm in the jet. Cockpit and environment loads, still slow. Still getting the hour glass every 7 - 11 seconds, turn my head and half of what I see is black. So I delete some of the saved game files in DCS, restart my pc - no joy, same issue. I update drivers, restart - no joy, same issue. I uninstall the Oculus software and reinstall - no joy, same issue. I turned off VR and tried it in 2D on my monitor. It would load and then crash. Have any of you guys experienced this? Any suggestions on how to fix it? Again, this wasn't an issue a week ago, all of a sudden this started. Here are my system specs: Intel Core i7-8086K 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 32.0 GB RAM, 36.6 GB VRAM.

Thanks in advance

Try a Repair of DCS.

Don B

Did that....

W10 Updates killed it again...!

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

Edit: turns out it’s just a lame fabric cover not a replacement interface of any kind. Took 6 months for them to create that.... lame

If you are like me and have a Rift S that has a foam interface that is falling off and disintegrating it appears that VR Cover FINALLY has an option for us. I have no experience with them nor their products but it has to be better than stock IMO...

https://www.vrcover.com/product/rift-s-vr-cover/

Edited by Twwhitey

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Some update killed it. Turned out it was Malwarebytes loading that was screwing it up. Turned it off so it won't load and that solved the problem. Glad it was something that simple....

Probably a silly question but how do I know my PC is running this Malwarebytes I keep reading about? All Windows 10 updates are done but I can't seem to find any evidence of it existing on my machine...?

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Probably a silly question but how do I know my PC is running this Malwarebytes I keep reading about? All Windows 10 updates are done but I can't seem to find any evidence of it existing on my machine...?

You would have had to install the Malwarebytes software onto your PC as it's a 3rd party product and not part of Windoze update.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

You would have had to install the Malwarebytes software onto your PC as it's a 3rd party product and not part of Windoze update.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

Ah fair enough, that'll explain it....Cheers for that...:thumbup:

You would have had to download and install it.

Don B

So you guys would say the upgrade from the Rift to the Rift S is worth it?

Thanks for your input!

Well it can be subjective to the tastes of the individual, I can say I am very glad I made the move from my CV1 to Rift S, especially since I added a USB desktop mic and earbuds for the audio jack.

Don B

Leaving Rift S always connected to the PC

Dear friends,

Do you think there is a problem leaving Rift S always connected to the PC (USB and Port, all the time), I mean, never disconnect after using your PC (and turned it off).

Thanks!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Dear friends,

Do you think there is a problem leaving Rift S always connected to the PC (USB and Port, all the time), I mean, never disconnect after using your PC (and turned it off).

Thanks!

Not a problem at all, did that with my Rift CV1 and doing it with my Rift S now.

Don B