Frequent grey-out and drop outs to background in Vive

CptTangerine

Hi

I have a Vive and I have been playing DCS on it for a couple of years now.

For the most part, my experience has been pretty smooth but I started playing again today after a break and I am finding that every 20 or so seconds I get a drop-out to the Vive background graphic, this is followed by a grey screen before it goes back to the game.

I have experienced drop-outs from time to time in the past, but it's usually two or three times per mission for a second or so, annoying but not immersion-breaking. This currently situation, though, is totally different and is making it very hard to fly - it can drop out for up to six seconds at a time (a long time when hovering down onto a carrier in the Harrier).

I have tried reverting to previous versions of DCS and this has not fixed the problem. The only other thing that I can see has changed is that Steam VR has updated to a new version. I have tried playing in both the Harrier and the Hornet and I have the same problem in both.

Can anyone offer any help as to how to fix this, and has anyone else had any similar problems?

Thanks!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Hi try this,

Inn Steam VR settings goto the developer tab and put a check in the do not fade to grid when app hangs..

I had a similar problem and this fixed it..

1041529835_Annotation2019-09-13173541.png.3008197b073a40548ac69da522f1494f.png

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Hi

Thanks for that. I will give it a go. I think that Steam VR has needed this setting for a long time ... of course, it might have had the setting for a long time and I just didn't notice.

Cheers!

CptT

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

Hi

I ticked the box and gave it a try. It is definitely less irritating but hasn't solved the underlying problem.

Thanks, anyway.

CptT

Do you use Malewarebytes?? they are saying issues arose with that and update in windows 10..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I do use Malwarebytes but I am still clinging on to Windows 7.

I'll try turning it off while I'm playing and see if it makes a difference. All options are on the table at the moment.

I was absolutely convinced that the problem was going to turn out to be the SteamVR update but, after much messing around I found out how to roll it back to an old version. I have exactly the same problem.

The weird thing is that the problem gets worse during the mission. So, at the beginning of the mission it's a small blip and then, as the mission goes on the blip gets longer and longer until, at the end it can be up to about 7 seconds long.

If it was an overheating problem, I would expect the problem to start out at 7 seconds when I replayed the mission but it doesn't. It appears to be some kind of issue that accumulates throughout the mission but is reset when the mission resets so not temperature (unless it cools down really fast when the mission ends) and probably not RAM usage (unless it clears at the end of each mission).

I am stumped.

Yeah. It looks like it was Malwarebytes. I have no idea why it has suddenly started to cause problems but I turned it off and I don't recall seeing a single stutter.

Cheers!