Trim control using a Saitek X52 Pro stick?

I am trying to trim the Hornet using a Saitek stick. Normally I use the rotary button on the throttle to adjust the trim in other flight sims. But rotary buttons don't seem to work in DCS.

Looking at the diagrams of the stick in Chuck's manual all the stick buttons are push activated.

Is there a way to make the F-18 recognise rotary buttons, please?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Is there a way to make the F-18 recognise rotary buttons, please?

Due to the absence of a corresponding axis-command I don't think that you can bind your rotary buttons directly to the four trim-commands (nose up/down, left/right wing down).

Maybe you can find a workaround using virtual joystick tools (i. e. vJoy & FreePIE).

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Thank you for your reply. I find it strange that all of the other flight sims I have used are compatible with Saitek but DCS is not.

DCS seems to expect that customers will spend a fortune on expensive kit because they are incapable of supporting Saitek products. It would seem to me that they should supply a fix so the software is compatible with the hardware. It is not as if there are a vast number of hardware makers which they need to support.

I am slowly beginning to regret paying money for a poorly supported product.

It's nothing to do with compatibility. Trim in the real Hornet is controlled digitally via buttons, so it makes no sense to include support for analog axes.

It's also nothing to do with lack of support for cheaper hardware. Spending no amount of money will make any difference in this respect.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Brun, Thanks for the explanation which I appreciate.

However, since I have never even seen a real F-18 whether or not the trim control is digital or analogue seems a bit academic. What I do know is that my analogue control doesn't work which is disappointing. Whilst I am all in favour of realism, paying GBP450 for a HOTAS control set so I can trim the plane digitally seems a bit excessive.

For info, I also have Aerofly FS2. That has an F-18 which has an analogue trim control. The plane does not have all the bells and whistles of DCS but at least the basic flying commands work.

Regards,

Tregarth

You can setup your rotaries as switches by setting bands in the Saitek software . (That's all i have found the rotaries to be good for , btw) Use that profile for the f-18 and other switch-trimmed aircraft only , and you can then have commonality .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2