Coordinates in FLIR screen

Swift.

DeathAngel, because the implication here is that real world hornets around 2007 used a version of Litening that had Coordinates and Cardinal markers in the Display, however the Litening that ED have given our hornet isnt the version that had these features and is therefore inaccurate for our timeline of hornet.

Now I have no idea about the validity of that claim, all I know is that there is insurmountable evidence that hornets in 2007 using both Litening and ATFLIR had Coordinates and Cardinals in the display.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

all I know is that there is insurmountable evidence that hornets in 2007 using both Litening and ATFLIR had Coordinates and Cardinals in the display.

YUP, I already posted a video of VMFA-224 Cruise around 2003-2006 equipped with the litening POD during OEF . On their ddi's the FLIR page had all these options.

Thats in red is just not true. BRU-55 has been developed from the begining for FA-18C, and Hornet can carry it.You can find a lot of information and pictures on the web which confirm this.

And for the mounting on "4", even on this forum you can find a real-world pictures with FA-18C and Litening pod on station 4.

So I cant understant why it can be "undrealistic" and why we need to "wait for more realistic pod like ATFLIR"??

Litening is great TGP and it is primary targeting pod of the USMC, and many non - USA countries, which uses Hornet.

So?

That’s the thing just because you can find a picture of something doesn’t mean that it translates to a capability. To get the kind of high fidelity that some of us enjoy here requires that they get really really specific about which airframe, from which production lot, in what software state.

Lot 20 hornets from mid 2000s in practice never ever carried LITENING at all at that time? Why? because they we’re all used exclusively by the USN at that time. Could they have carried it? Probably, if they were ashore attached to a MEU, maybe...but Did they? We don’t know. Which version of LITENING would they have used, if they did? We don’t know.

So what does that mean for us? While it’s up to ED, and what they want to do because it’s a Frankenstein situation now. How they want to integrate a qusi-hypothetical configuration is really up to them.

Also Your thinking of BRU-33 which was intergraded from beginning, for dumb weapons. As far as BRU-55 goes it may have been cleared at that time on lot 20s, it’s possible. But the OFP we have doesn’t support it for sure. So again unless you want to get really really specific we’re in Frankenstein territory.

Adding LITENING at all was a concession in light of the specific aircraft they choose, so it’s up to them because we’re beyond RL at this point

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Wizard, I have no way of validating whether lot 20 hornets were only used by USN. However afaik the all hornets software are upgraded at the same time, so it would make sense for the 2007 USMC hornets to display the same software as a 2007 USN hornet would it not.

Even so, if ED had to make a concession and create a mid 2000s USMC hornet (which might not be a lot 20) then surely it would make sense to equip it with mid 2000s USMC hornet software capabilities, namely the above FLIR features.

Wizard, I have no way of validating whether lot 20 hornets were only used by USN. However afaik the all hornets software are upgraded at the same time, so it would make sense for the 2007 USMC hornets to display the same software as a 2007 USN hornet would it not.

Even so, if ED had to make a concession and create a mid 2000s USMC hornet (which might not be a lot 20) then surely it would make sense to equip it with mid 2000s USMC hornet software capabilities, namely the above FLIR features.

I completely agree, if you gonna "throw it in" lets get all the goodies.

But AFAIK its not 07 hornet specifically its a "mid-2000s" hornet, and they probably chose that nomenclature deliberately to give them breathing room from people on these forums. lol

Edited by Wizard_03

Thats true, however this feature seems to be on every hornet, from at least 2003 to present times. Not to mention it being a feature on every jet that carries a FLIR since at least Tomcat.

Yeah It seems odd to me too, its definitely not what I imagined their source material would say, and surprising that even older generation aircraft have that implemented and ours wouldn't.

But like I said its really EDs guess that matters at this point as we're already somewhat side skirting realism anyways.

Wizard_03, again nothing true in your post. Stop man, If you dont know, then just dont write.

As I said in my first post, I not only saw a pictures, but I`ve read it also.

You said: "Lot20 mid 2000s Hornet never carried Litening"....In fact, USMC definitely carried it in 2005 and here is the evidence - a Nortopgrumman atricle from 2005 year just for you. Please:

https://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/u-s-marine-corps-to-receive-additional-northrop-grumman-litening-at-targeting-systems-for-f-a-18s-under-2005-supplemental-budget

And this is for "BRU-55 only for dump weapons", as you said:

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/bru-57.htm

As you can read, BRU-55 is used for JSOW and JDAM, not only for "dump weapons", as you said.

So pls dont write lies, when you are not sure. Read some information, find some official articles, it will help you. And before you isult ED and call DCS:F-18 "Frankenstein", you need to know that DCS:FA-18C is most accurate and realistic simulation of Lot20 Hornet ever, and Im glad to have it. So If you dont like it, and it seems "unrealistic" and "frankenstein" to you, then just dont play.

Its obviously that you dont know a lot of things for the Hornet, but dont write then.

Edited by DeathAngel1

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

What software versions does those targeting pods have in 2003-2004?

AFAIK not all pods are same even when having same date of operation.

But I believe that evidence is showing that even LITENING pod before 2004 should have 1) compass rose, 2) coordinates of targeting position and 3) estimated main fragments zone (fragments can fly hundreds of meters).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

granted av8b /=/ F/A18, but looking looking at Av8B tactics manual from 2002( NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, Vol. I)

there is a section on operation of lightening 2 pod. Page 1-399 to 1-400 specifcally include illustrations coupled with paragraphs without a shadow of a doubt presents that the L2 can do so.

So yea coupled with all the other evidence the community found demonstrates to the contrary, that in fact these features already exited prior 2005 for the Litening 2 even with Hornet use.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

"Dear all,

Regarding the Viper targeting pod, our engineer assigned to targeting pods (also flight models) is currently focused on the Hornet targeting pod in order to add other elements like laser range, freeze, gray scale, adjust declutter, enable reticle toggle, attitude indicator, automatic level and gain controls, correct some of the reticles, INR tracking, offset cursor, new HOTAS functions, and the air-to-air mode.

Once that is done, then he can return to the Viper targeting pod and add such features as new HOTAS commands, NAV mode functions, offset designations, snowplow mode, cursor zero, steering cue, auto focus, gray scale, azimuth angle, laser range, and laser code.

Kind rega"

Wags comment for on the F-16 forum. What is "offset cursor"? Any way, co clue regarding showing up the coordinates.

Edited by nickos86

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds pretty good, but it is mentioned that auto-focus will be implemented on Viper`s TGP, and nothing for auto-focus on Hornet.

But they are with same TGP (litening) ?

Yes both are lightening 2 AT (same model)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

This is pretty disappointing. I've been waiting for this option since the Hornet got the TGP. I love replicating the FAC(A) role but barely ever do it because it's just too clunky our Hornet.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 2 weeks later...
The documents we are working from for FLIR do not have the coordinates, compass marker, and the ring.

Our hornet will not be getting these additions.

Thanks

Has there been any acknowledgement or movement on this at all? I feel a significant amount of evidence of the Litening pod's ability to show coordinates has been presented. What evidence/documents are ED using that state this is not the case?

+1

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we will definitely not be getting it. How disappointing.

Looks like we will definitely not be getting it. How disappointing.

I (like many of us I'm sure) thought that when they said we would be getting a 'mid-2000s USMC/USN hornet' it meant we would be getting a hornet used by USMC or USN from the mid-2000s. Turns out it doesn't mean that.

The documents we are working from for FLIR do not have the coordinates, compass marker, and the ring.

Our hornet will not be getting these additions.

Thanks

I just saw this post. Boy how dissapointed I am. Not that anyone cares, but you know.

Stay safe

Has there been any acknowledgement or movement on this at all? I feel a significant amount of evidence of the Litening pod's ability to show coordinates has been presented. What evidence/documents are ED using that state this is not the case?

Ever ask yourself how accurate are those coordinates actually are?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).