F/A-18 shot down by Messerschmitt

mazex

My "default" test mission in another sim that has terrain that overlaps the Georgia map is to fly an Me 109 on a free flight over Novorossijsk / Gelendzhik where I usually land at the Gelendzhik airport.

Some year ago I did a DCS mission over the same area in an F/A-18C instead to compare them. I also added two Messerschmitt 109's to the mission...

So now I found the mission and had forgotten what I did and started it. Fooled around for a while and then went in to land on Gelendzhik. Just as I was preparing to turn in on final approach my plane was ripped in pieces in a second. What? Had forgotten about those 109's that had probably been chasing me for a while - and then got the prefect kill while landing. Just the way that the Mustangs and Tempests killed the Me 262 jets during the war :)

Kudos to the 109 AI pilot. Perfect intercept of a target that never saw him coming ;)

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

You forgot to eject. :smilewink:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

You forgot to eject. :smilewink:

I was minengeschoss shocked :)

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

That kinda reminds me of the scene from the Final Countdown when the Tomkitty's got into a BFM fight with the two japanese Zeros.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

My "default" test mission in another sim that has terrain that overlaps the Georgia map is to fly an Me 109 on a free flight over Novorossijsk / Gelendzhik where I usually land at the Gelendzhik airport.

Some year ago I did a DCS mission over the same area in an F/A-18C instead to compare them. I also added two Messerschmitt 109's to the mission...

So now I found the mission and had forgotten what I did and started it. Fooled around for a while and then went in to land on Gelendzhik. Just as I was preparing to turn in on final approach my plane was ripped in pieces in a second. What? Had forgotten about those 109's that had probably been chasing me for a while - and then got the prefect kill while landing. Just the way that the Mustangs and Tempests killed the Me 262 jets during the war :)

Kudos to the 109 AI pilot. Perfect intercept of a target that never saw him coming ;)

and this is why you always plant a couple SAM's to defend your home airfield. Just in case you "forget" about any AI assets in case they decide to follow you back to home.

so situation like these never happen.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Happened to me a few times right after I started flying the F-18 when I missed an Me-109K4 with an AMRAAM. Not sure how he had the energy, but I lost sight and took off at 450 in a climb. He came up and popped me from dead six.

That's when I figured out AI aircraft don't (or didn't) fly by the rules. Of physics.

That kinda reminds me of the scene from the Final Countdown when the Tomkitty's got into a BFM fight with the two japanese Zeros.

Yeah, they had trouble tailing them because they couldn't fly as slow. Then when they started to strafe the boat....

Kirk Douglas: Splash the Zeros !